Toronto U of T: Goldring Student Centre at Victoria University | ?m | 3s | U of T | Moriyama & Teshima

Never said that. They designed McKinsey and Bader, so it would be a natural progression to have them work on Wymilwood/Goldring. Their style would've worked well with the existing Wymilwood building too.

The implication was that H+P were the original architects and at some point were swapped out for M+T.

Never said that. They designed McKinsey and Bader, so it would be a natural progression to have them work on Wymilwood/Goldring. Their style would've worked well with the existing Wymilwood building too.

Wrong again. Bader was by Lett/Smith, but I'm sure H+P would have designed a fine building all the same.

Weird. I was sure they had a hand in Bader-- I remember reading about how Bader was designed to go along well with McKinsey-- but I suppose that just means that Lett/Smith was highly sensitive to the surrounding area and deserve credit.

Regardless of these details, I feel that the McKinsey Building aesthetic-- or rather a "Hariri Pontarini" aesthetic is a fairly timeless yet still very detailed and intricately attractive one, and should have been used on the Wymilwood expansion/Goldring Centre.

Nice Mr. Clewes appears to have take that approach with the town homes at nearbye U condo, but I think Moriyama and Teshima's deferential design works well here - I'm heartened that the student puppets appointed to the subcommittee were made to dance nicely in selecting them.

`
wymilwooda16.jpg

Application: Building Additions/Alterations Status: Not Started

TORONTO ON M5S 2C7

Ward 27: Toronto Centre-Rosedale

Application#: 11 111659 BLD 01 BA Accepted Date: Aug 22, 2011

Project: University Multiple Projects

Description: Revision: Alteration to shoring. PLEASE NOTE THE CONVENIENCE ADDRESS IS 150 CHARLES ST W - VICTORIA UNIVERSITY @ UofT. Renovation of existing heritage building (the 'Wymilwood" building) and construction of new 3 storey student centre addition (to be the "Goldring Student Centre"). - See 09 129916 STE 27 SA for Site plan approval application.

Back