Toronto U of T: Goldring Student Centre at Victoria University | ?m | 3s | U of T | Moriyama & Teshima

The dull colours of the renderings could be muting our responses somewhat - it's got to look at least a bit more striking when all is said and done no? A bit?

I agree. I don't think its that bad and the rendering, I think, has a lot to do with the reactions. I am not quite sure what everyone wants for a small scale campus building, on a small scale campus.

At the Thursday meeting I went to, M&T stated specifically that they weren't out to create landmark/daring architecture with this project. They said they do not want to overshadow the archtecture of the existing Eric Arthur building, at that their primary interests were to create a building that fulfills the needs of the students.
Still, many gave them heck about this whole walled "quad" design and removal of the driveway. I'm not sure they've thought this through too well.

There is however, a clear difference between contextual respectability and bland, boring buildings. This is sadly the latter and I will be speaking with Keeling personally to see what can be done about it.

Universities are adept at managing their student leaders by involving them in the decision-making process, while at the same time keeping them safely away from any actual decision-making.

(Not a slight against you, ProjectEnd. You know how it is.)

Ah. Universities. That explains it.

When I was at art school I was the campaign manager for a couple of students who ran for OCA's Governing Council ... and we got them on the ballot as "Tweedledum" and "Tweedledee" in addition to their real names ... and they won. In those days OCA was run by a unicameral Governing Council ( 3 elected students, 6 elected faculty, 9 Provincial appointees and a Chair also appointed by the Province - which held the balance in a tied vote ). The "Tweedles" took direction from nobody, though they were constantly being wooed by faculty and government appointees alike. But the College governing council was reorganized several years ago and it's now more conventionally run, like ... universities.

You were on the Design Subcommittee - were you not involved in selecting the winner?

Our committee was only involved in determining the functionality of the building and the firm involved. The first time I (or anyone besides M+T) saw a rendering was last Tuesday.

SNF also gives some good insight into the real decision making powers of students on these committees.

High time for some new renders, albeit small ones:

GoldringRend1.jpg

GoldringRend2.jpg

GoldringRend3.jpg

Back