Toronto TYSSE: York University Station | ?m | 1s | TTC | Foster + Partners

^it will, and very quickly if they have any hope of finishing on time. I wouldn't be surprised if we start to see 24/7 crews to get this thing done on time.

York University Station was always an easy one to do (probably the easiest), and the last to be started, because moreso than the other stations it was basically a big, hollow concrete box from the track level to the surface.

The other stations were more complex because of the need to pour floors/ceilings on the various levels, and to stage the excavation and construction for utilities and roads.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Per CBC there's been a major accident at what sounds like the York University station construction site this morning.

A construction worker was taken to hospital Wednesday morning after being pinned down by a nearly 2,600 kilogram beam at a TTC site in the Keele Street and York Boulevard Area, police said.

I wonder if the MoL will probably shut it all down again to investigate.

Per CBC there's been a major accident at what sounds like the York University station construction site this morning.

I wonder if the MoL will probably shut it all down again to investigate.

Most definitely an investigation, though they probably wont shut it down completely unlike the last time when it was a much larger accident
Then again they are also under pressure to finish on schedule or as soon as possible so there might be some insider backroom negotiations...

A friend of mine posted this shot of York U station on facebook today

attachment.php

Attachments

• 10428424_10152909265490067_231498937895740595_n.jpg
    10428424_10152909265490067_231498937895740595_n.jpg
    142.2 KB · Views: 1,854
A friend of mine posted this shot of York U station on facebook today

attachment.php

Thanks! I'm not a construction expert by any means but given what this photo shows I can see why they're worried about the Dec 2016 opening date... still a lot of work left to do it seems.

York U station completion was already postponed to that December 2016 date due to the fatality that occurred.

My understanding is that the main source of the worry these days was actually because of delays at Steeles West station, which is being built by Walsh Construction. Although this was at least a year ago. Not sure how things stand these days.

Last edited:
Where are the vantage points? Open to the public?

The pictures posted here all look they are from the York Research Tower (Kaneff Tower). The second floor is publicly accessible but I'd say the vantage point in those pictures is higher. You should be able to see into the box from the second floor, but not with that kind of perspective.

Back