GeekyBoyTO

From the Star:

May 25, 2005. 06:45 AM

TSO world premiere of Star Wars Concert
Narrated story to accompany music
Actor who plays C-3PO will star

MARTIN KNELMAN
ENTERTAINMENT COLUMNIST

You've seen all six Star Wars movies, most of them more than once. You bought the CDs of the movie soundtracks, and your closets are full of old Star Wars toys.

But what can you do now that George Lucas has pulled the plug and insisted that there will be no more instalments after Episode III — Revenge of the Sith, which opened last week and is currently shattering box office records?

Well, there's one more Star Wars experience coming up. The Star Wars Concert will have its world premiere at Roy Thomson Hall with two concerts on June 28 and 29, starring the Toronto Symphony Orchestra and the British actor who plays C-3PO.

It's the creation of Erich Kunzel, the 70-year-old music director of the Cincinnati Pops Orchestra and regular guest conductor of the Toronto Symphony Orchestra.

"This has the sanction of George Lucas and his organization," Kunzel explained in a phone interview yesterday.

It also has the blessing of Kunzel's old friend and colleague, composer John Williams, who created the music for all six films in the cycle and more than 80 other films, including E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial, Jaws, Superman and Schindler's List.

Kunzel will fly to Toronto in late June and conduct the Toronto Symphony Orchestra along with 40 singers from the Opera Mississauga Chorus. Later, he will also lead orchestras in other cities — including Cincinnati, Cleveland, Chicago, Detroit and Seattle.

Kunzel has a long association with Star Wars. He has frequently included music from the space saga, sometimes interspersed with themes from other John Williams movies, both in the concert hall and on CDs.

Last year in Mexico City, he conducted a program that included music from the first five films in the series. But the new work is a much more coherent and ambitious undertaking.

"Now that the film saga is complete," Kunzel said, "I have the opportunity to present the music in chronological order and to present the story from beginning to end through a narrator.

"It's not an opera, and it's not a symphony. I would call it a concert saga."

That saga includes 78 minutes of music culled from all six movies, plus a spoken narrative summary (written by Kunzel) interspersed with the music, which adds about 20 non-musical minutes to the presentation.

British actor Anthony Daniels, who plays C-3PO, will be the narrator for the Toronto premiere. The TSO concluded negotiations yesterday with him.

The story will be told in chronological order, starting with The Phantom Menace and the chorus "Duel of the Faiths." Each of the main characters — Luke Skywalker, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Darth Vader, Princess Leia, Yoda, Chewbacca and the others — has a theme song.

As Kunzel noted, Williams, a master of the symphonic film score, employed a Wagnerian technique, using leitmotifs to signal the appearance of certain characters and themes.

According to Anthony Tommasini, music critic for the New York Times, the Williams score deserves much of the credit for what audiences like about Episode III.

How did Toronto land the world premiere of this major pop-cult event?

"It was pure kismet," says Mike Forrester, vice-president of marketing for the TSO.

"We were just lucky that the dates worked in terms of the availability of the orchestra and the hall and Eric's schedule."

Tickets go on sale June 1, with prices ranging from $25 to $90.

GB

Roy Thomson Hall hosts all kinds of stuff like this. There's also a wedding gown fashion and makeup show in September. And a massed military band thing, and dancing gypsy music, both coming up in October.

It isn't all Shostakovich and cutie pie conductor Yannick Nezet Seguin. Unfortunately.

That's quite a coup.

Knelman forgot to take his standard shot at Toronto.

Knelman has yet to impress me with his journalism- or writing for that matter. Jim Carey, John Candy...gimme a break. His sister is friends with my parents. From what I understand he was rude to my mother at a dinner party. NOBODY is rude to my mother without some retribution from me. He's be on his ass in five mins if i was around.

Wow, this sounds real operatic. Right down to the likelihood that no male sitting in the audience has ever had sex with a woman <rimshot>

"If you're between 15 and 29 you can sign up for TSO tsoundcheck and get tickets for $10:

Tsoundcheck tickets aren't available for this concert - they sent an email saying so on Friday. However, buying tickets through Tsoundcheck's presale will get you a 10% discount.

"Or you could listen to Holst's 'The Planets' instead."

Only a little bit of Star Wars really seems copied note for note from The Planets, although it was obviously a major inspiration. It's totally noticeable, though, when you play Star Wars and parts of The Planets one right after the other, as the Hart House Band did this year (an exhausting combination).

I heard The Planets at the TSO in 2002 - actually, I'm listening to 'Saturn' right now...

I too was at the "The Planets" show in 2002. Very enjoyable. Was about 15 rows back for $5.

Bramwell Tovey ( who conducted Elgar's 'Enigma Variations' -and Vaughan Williams's "Lark Ascending' with violinist Corey Cerovsek last week ) gave us a very stirring 'Planets' at RTH in the summer of '98.

Next season I'm particularly looking forward to the Shostakovich series. That ought to raise the roof! I find the sound quality up in the balcony to be just as good as in the mezzanine.

Re: Unknown

Montreal premiered the 'Lord of the Rings' Symphony international tour last year, so it only seems fair that we get this one.

Back