Toronto St Regis Toronto Hotel and Residences | 281.93m | 58s | JFC Capital | Zeidler

Does the city have any powers here to have them redo the windows with something of quality if this keeps happening?

The City's property standards by-law requires landowners to, among other things, maintain windows and exterior walls in good repair and free from defects. There are also provisions in the Building Code Act which enable a city inspector to issue an order in respect of unsafe buildings (structurally inadequate, in a condition which could be hazardous to public health and safety) to require that improvements be made (the Chief Building Official can even direct staff to enter upon the property to undertake the necessary repairs, and to charge back the cost as property taxes, although this power is only used in exceptional circumstances). There are also powers to issue emergency orders where there is imminent danger. Failure to comply with the above-noted by-law or orders can result in fines up to $200,000 for corporations, or $10,000/day for continuing offences.

The falling/cracked glass phenomena has become the norm, not just at Trump, but with buildings across the city. If the panel that broke today, and the panels that have broken before it, are in fact 'defective' or problematic, I'd imagine theres a probability there are several others.
How much longer until these buildings take drastic measures to prevent this from happening? Festival Tower for example ended up covering all their balconies up with mesh until they recladded it.
As I've said, this is not just a Trump Tower problem, it's occurred at just about all of the hotel-condo projects (and other condo's) built in the past 5 years, with multiple incidents occurring at each site (especially Shangri-la).

Lightline is on tonight. The light patterns are pretty cool.

From 210 Simcoe:
image.jpeg

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    925.3 KB · Views: 1,222
Last edited by a moderator:
The falling/cracked glass phenomena has become the norm, not just at Trump, but with buildings across the city. If the panel that broke today, and the panels that have broken before it, are in fact 'defective' or problematic, I'd imagine theres a probability there are several others.
How much longer until these buildings take drastic measures to prevent this from happening? Festival Tower for example ended up covering all their balconies up with mesh until they recladded it.
As I've said, this is not just a Trump Tower problem, it's occurred at just about all of the hotel-condo projects (and other condo's) built in the past 5 years, with multiple incidents occurring at each site (especially Shangri-la).

Best case scenario would be if it was simply a case of defective panels. I'm starting to wonder if more than just a defect in the panel or installation and more of an overlooked design flaw in the panel or the building itself.

Light bars are so 2004. Eh, suits the tower

^Or maybe the vast temperature fluctuations? Could that cause expansion and contraction and loosen pieces up?

On an aside regarding the brighter light fixtures on Aura and Trump, it is interesting these more intense light fixtures are on the tallest buildings built during this boom. I don't know why, but it reminds me of something my dad mentioned about moving to Toronto from Brooklyn (NY, not ON) in the early 70's and that was that this city above all else felt very organized to him. Well laid out, and very well organized. I guess that's why they say it's like New York built by the Swiss. If only our transit ran like theirs does (the Swiss).

My Lord! We must (officially) be the most politically correct country in the world. Let's remove all signage deemed offensive by someone haha. Too funny.

Citizens, no matter what your concerns are regarding political correctness, it has got to be an increasing liability for the both the hotel occupancy and for the condominium sales for the building to be named after an arch villain.

The man is a menace and he should be dealt with by the authorities. His racially changed statements of late make his future admission to Canada questionable, as we frown upon hate speech in this country.

On a lighter note, I suggest the name of the building be changed to Wayne Enterprises Tower. Bruce Wayne, with whom I am acquainted, is also a gazillionaire, but he's also a legendary—I mean mythical—philanthropist and all 'round upstanding gent. That's Robin's vote too. Just saying, citizens.

My Lord! We must (officially) be the most politically correct country in the world. Let's remove all signage deemed offensive by someone haha. Too funny.

I find this confusing. First, no one has suggested that a law be enacted forcing the removal of the Trump name. A councillor in Toronto and a councillor in Vancouver have both requested that the owners of the hotels in the respective cities each do the right thing and remove the name. How does this make Canada the most "politically correct" country in the world? Because Matlow and Jang said something, it applies to the entire country? Second, Trump's entire presidential campaign has consisted of a litany of offensive and bigoted comments, attacking Mexicans. women, Muslims, etc. How is "politically correct" to think having Trump's name on the top of a tower in one's city is not a great idea? One can disagree of course, either with the sentiment or the usefulness of the objective (or both), but given Trump's comments how is the very idea so silly that it deserves mocking? How is this issue "too funny"? Why wouldn't we remove offensive signage? Reasonable people can disagree over whether the signage is actually offensive or not, but you seem to saying that even the suggestion of removing signage that is offensive is amusing to you.

I don't find anything funny about Trump's comments, or about the fact that U.S. politics is putting us in the position of having to talk about the name of a condo hotel.

On the bright side, the name of the tower is only appropriate given the amount of troubles this tower had went through. The icing on the cake, so to say.

AoD

It's funny that someone would consider Trump a fascist like Hilter and make the comparison and want his name off of a building. That's crazy talk and an over-reaction. He's a real estate tycoon. His brand represent luxury and exceptional service. I don't agree with everything he says, but as a private citizen he's entitled to his opinion. His brand and standards haven't all of a sudden changed.

Politicians are just self-serving - so the anti-Trump/'remove his name' crowd isn't going to better society. But ensuring that these new, small scale, assault rifle terrorist attacks by any group are stopped should actually benefit society. So how is removing a sign going to help again? People need to focus on actually destroying the hateful fascist group called ISIS rather that focusing on an idiot with a hotel with his name on it. That's what I find funny and uniquely Canadian that we don't see what's the right thing to do but focus on fluff that makes people feel good but does nothing to solve the actual problem.

Back