Toronto St Regis Toronto Hotel and Residences | 281.93m | 58s | JFC Capital | Zeidler

My guess is that the view issue may be what's holding back the sales. Obviously the out-of-towners buying wouldn't necessarily know about B/A, but people on all but the highest floors will have virtually no views on three sides. What's the point of living on the 50th floor if you can't see anything? It's just a longer elevator ride. If I were in that market, I'd go with the Four Seasons which is in a better 24-hour neighbourhood and is likely to be the tallest thing around for quite some time.

^ Or the Ritz. Or the [name of other project that will actually get built]

Depending on the suite they most certainly will have a view. Scotia, CIBC and FCP are all significantly set back from the sidewalk. Trump will be flush to the sidewalk. Only to the north will there be problems, and then only for the first 700 or so feet up. The rest will get a view above Bay Adelaide.

I wonder if the condo purchasers are aware of that now.. lol
It's new news to them, then again something was going to be build there eventually.

What self-respecting highrise NIMBY would buy a unit in a building whose backyard views are blocked by so many other towers?

^ But surely highrise nimbyism is a phenomenon particular to people who have *already* bought? The coming of high-rise NIMBYism will have everything to do with people who have already invested in their heavenly shoebox, with the absolute guarantee that it would appreciate.

I've always thought Trump should have gone for the parking lot at Univ. & Adelaide. Obviously it ended up in Shangri La's hands and I suspect it'll be quite successful.

Trump put out another email indicating prices are up 5% since June. They also indicate the hotel/condo component is over 70% sold, but no word on the residential units.
No ground breaking announcement.

The website shows some of the residences as SOLD...none of the penthouses, though.

Ya another round of b/s emails. I sent one back asking when they would begin construction and got this response.

Hello Andrew,
Thank you for your response to our recent e-mail. We will be breaking
ground this fall and occupancy is Spring 2009.
Please call if you have any questions about availability for the residential
or hotel suites.
Sincerely,

Lisa Searchfield
Sales Executive

I know I am speculating but as we are now over the peak of the real estate market if they don't announce a ground breaking by Christmas this puppy is dead. The BA project can't be helping sales as the views will definitely be compromised. However seeing other buildings isn't neccessarily a bad thing...it will be a very urban view.

Perhaps BA will donate their Stump?

Just move it across the road. Better than nuthin'.

The Trump Stump. Has a nice ring to it.

Maybe they will finish BA and start building Trump but run out of money and then we will have a Trump Stump across the street from the old BA stump... a stump for a new generation!

Stump Toronto! I've been telling you people...

Trump will never get built. The prevailing attitudes towards architecture in Toronto have evolved dramatically since even the second Zeidler design of TTT was unveiled in (I might be wrong about the exact date) late 2001.

Both inside and out, the conservative opulent style of the Trump tower has dated considerably in just five years. TTT belongs to the last generation of condo towers, like 1 King West, the Waterclub, or NY Towers which look and feel as if they were ClipArt images for corporate boardroom presentations, rather than solid, urban buildings crafted by professional architects. By contrast, condo towers like Kohn Pedersen Fox's Ritz Carlton, aA's Four Seasons and Yansong Ma's Absolute are the ones that are at the forefront of design today.

If you took a 10 year old Mercedes that had never once been driven and tried to sell it at a 2006 sticker price, it would never leave the lot. Ditto the Trump Tower design and its exorbitant prices. This project is dead.

Back