Toronto Tower at Pier 27 | 114.9m | 35s | Cityzen | a—A

Update: http://urbantoronto.ca/news/2017/01/shoring-kicks-construction-35-storey-tower-pier-27

Bonus photos:

IMG_9462.JPG
IMG_9464.JPG
IMG_9465.JPG
IMG_9467.JPG
IMG_9470.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_9462.JPG
    IMG_9462.JPG
    751.4 KB · Views: 361
  • IMG_9464.JPG
    IMG_9464.JPG
    418.9 KB · Views: 366
  • IMG_9465.JPG
    IMG_9465.JPG
    437 KB · Views: 391
  • IMG_9467.JPG
    IMG_9467.JPG
    673.1 KB · Views: 367
  • IMG_9470.JPG
    IMG_9470.JPG
    378.6 KB · Views: 350

Attachments

• IMG_0039.JPG
    IMG_0039.JPG
    361.6 KB · Views: 351
  • IMG_0042.JPG
    IMG_0042.JPG
    479.9 KB · Views: 329
  • IMG_0045.JPG
    IMG_0045.JPG
    399.3 KB · Views: 330
The database file says there will be retail in this building - anyone have any info on that? A cafe or restaurant next to the slip would be wonderful.

That's exactly what's planned, albeit with parkland between the restaurant and the slip. Go to the dataBase file (linked a the top of the page) and you'll see the restaurant location in the fifth (and some subsequent) renderings.

Retail will wrap around the ground floor on the north, west and south sides, but I wouldn't rely on the renderings for confirmation as to the exact type of retail that will ultimately go in here.

I cannot imagine that there would be any penalties involved here. All of the agreements with the land transfers between the City and the developers here have been in place for many years now. That said, the developers will want to finish up here and move on to the next job. What would the incentive be to delay?

I cannot imagine that there would be any penalties involved here. All of the agreements with the land transfers between the City and the developers here have been in place for many years now. That said, the developers will want to finish up here and move on to the next job. What would the incentive be to delay?

See L Tower

Last edited:
Reactions: DSC
That does not answer my question. If you think that Cityzen and Fernbrook are happy with the problems at L Tower, then you're utterly mistaken; it has cost them a lot of money.

That does not answer my question. If you think that Cityzen and Fernbrook are happy with the problems at L Tower, then you're utterly mistaken; it has cost them a lot of money.

I'm just not sure where to begin.

V-A-V, the parking lot question, let's start with past experience is a reasonable predictor of future outcomes.

The problems of L Tower were many, and some perhaps unanticipated. But if you honestly expect someone to empathize with the developers because they, too, we're unhappy AND it cost them money, we're on different planets.

A comparison that might assist in better understanding my view can be found here in Toronto. It's listed under Bombardier / TTC / Streetcars, or if that's not enough look up Metrolinx / Trains. By your apparent reasoning, the people of this City and Region who are the ultimate paying customers of either of Bombardier product should somehow feel less abused because the owners and management of that firm are disappointed and upset by the situation. That in addition to their tender sensibilities being abused by criticism for the delays and deficiencies that sit squarely on their shoulders alone, the contracts have caused them to lose money.

I don't think so.

To stay with the same category, let's pretend you put your life savings down at an Aston Martin dealership, say $300,000 (the same price of perhaps a studio condo). When the dealership finally calls to say your world class, drop dead gorgeous supercar has finally arrived (but years late) you dash there, palms wet with anticipation only to be stunned to find the driver's side door doesn't work, part of the car is still unpainted, instead of glass in the sunroof there's a slab of plywood, some of the lights don't seem to work or keep working, the seats don't seem to match and there's something dripping from somewhere underneath the car and your standing in it.

However, the salesman says, Wow, isn't she gorgeous!! You say, WTF? They hand you the keys, ask you to be patient, promise all will be remedied in short order if you just keep calling the service department for updates. You ask for the owner of the dealership to come out but of course they're too busy doing important stuff but do text to say they "feel your pain", and that they need you to understand everyone is going their best to make sure you get the perfect vehicle, just like the one shown in the glossy brochure you've been staring at for the years since your parted ways with your hard earned money.

And in addition, they tell you that if YOU feel bad, just imagine how the manufacturer feels? He writes that Aston Martin is unhappy with the situation and greatly disappointed in the condition of the car and delays suffered. BUT, BUT, BUT, Mr. Customer, they LOST money on this transaction!! The text ends with a happy face.

Imagine how much better that would make you feel as you drive away, poorer but wiser, especially when only half way home to show off the dream of your lifetime to the love of your life, the dashboard lights up with a warning sign flashing, "See dealer to avoid serious engine failure".

Does that help?

Condominium purchasers of preconstruction product in Ontario have no meaningful control or recourse when what was ordered is not what is delivered or when it's years late or as is the case of more than one local delinquent developer, not delivered at all. It's a crime in my view.

Of course they are not happy, they are in business to make money and the problems at L-Tower have certainly cost them lots of that (and greatly damaged any reputations they had.). Of course they and other developers usually MAKE tons of money on developments (which explains why there are so many of them) so I really can't feel sorry for them. The people I DO feel sorry for are the purchasers and the other residents in that neighbourhood who have been living in a construction site for FAR too long. Because the problems with L-Tower are not due to acts of god but seem to be caused by incompetence or (being charitable) because they bit off more than they could chew, I have no doubt the L-Tower fiasco (and there really is no other word for it) will affect how people react to their other developments - possibly why 158 Front is still a parking lot?

You're both reading into my post things that are not there. All I am saying is that there is no incentive for the developers to take longer than necessary to complete their work on this development. They'll want to finish and then turn the land over to the City (so the City can get on with finishing the park beside the slip). End of story.

You're both reading into my post things that are not there. All I am saying is that there is no incentive for the developers to take longer than necessary to complete their work on this development. They'll want to finish and then turn the land over to the City (so the City can get on with finishing the park beside the slip). End of story.

I understand your point. I just do not agree with it. Once closing takes place, developers have all the money owing to them. The incentive to complete unfinished work evaporates immediately. See ICE for example. Over a year since closing and the Plaza and entranceways are still not complete. Freed's building on King (629?) was a complete disaster on closing. And the workmanship !!!!!

As for L Tower, it would appear from Press reports and the occasional brief casual observation, many as noted in the building's UT Forum, amenities were non-existent, not just incomplete. The completion of the Yonge Street face was years after closing.

Q. how big of a challenge is it to give buyers a front door that works and how long can it possibly take to fix it so that it works?

I believe it's reasonable to get everything you pay for when you pay for it in full. And I also suggest the foot dragging is deliberate. And wrong. And fixable if the Provincial government had any honest concern for the huge and growing number of people who purchase a condominium.

Back