Toronto Theatre Park | 156.96m | 47s | Lamb Dev Corp | a—A

To Project End:

Will the tower be set back to about Pearl St? It would make sense to have a midrise Ritz-style podium with the tower set back so it doesn't directly interfere with the midrise nature of the block... I would be dissapointed with Clewe's complete disregard of surroundings if the tower was smack against King.

I'm not quite sure who Clewe's is, but Clewes is rightly putting the tower as close to King as it will go. There isn't much of a podium but the streetwall will be continued. A nice little urban garden will face the Pearl St. side.

I'm not quite sure who Clewe's is, but Clewes is rightly putting the tower as close to King as it will go. There isn't much of a podium but the streetwall will be continued. A nice little urban garden will face the Pearl St. side.

Well I rarely ever think this, but I hope this will be shot down by city hall, or at least rethought of so that it doesn't destroy this very nice streetwall...

Filip,

I believe you are mistaken. If Clewes had set the tower back to Pearl, the 'streetwall' would not be continued and would therefore be 'lost,' as you decry.

As it stands however, the tower is pulled right up to the 'street,' and therefore continues the 'streetwall' along King.

Filip,

I believe you are mistaken. If Clewes had set the tower back to Pearl, the streetwall would not be continued and would therefore be 'lost,' as you decry.

As it stands however, the tower is being pulled right up to the street and therefore continues the streetwall along King.

I think you misunderstood what I thought of... It would be nice if the tower was set back on Pearl, and that a podium about the height of the neighbouring buildings fronted directly onto King.. Something like the Ritz across the street, with the podium fronting Wellington and the tower being significantly set back to the park.

Towers on podiums are the new towers in the park.

Bah.. better than that getting 8 storey historical buildings with a 50 storey monster jutting out the middle.. Anyone who knows me, knows that I love seeing tall projects, but there's a place, and this sure isn't...

It'd be nice if Toronto kept its human scale in certain neighbourhoods, but for a city that is growing inexplicably fast/coming of age, I doubt it.

I'd like to reiterate the points of voxpopulicosmicum and ProjectEnd - the OMB is not at fault for the current situation - city council approved TIFF and that set the new precedent in the Entertainment district.

This precedent logic gets under my skin. The city needs to grow some... and the OMB's authority needs to be re-worked.
Why should we be obligated/pressured? The city needs to be able to reflect and make changes as it deems necessary. Forcing the city to repeat its mistakes showcases the lunacy we have to deal with.

Well I rarely ever think this, but I hope this will be shot down by city hall, or at least rethought of so that it doesn't destroy this very nice streetwall...

Vey nice streetwall? Ummm dont know about that.Im just hoping that any future proposed development in the area is not shot down in height due to th 157 meter mediocre ugly box type Festival tower development.I really dont know if Toronto city planning dept. is ready for some of these new proposed funky tall buildings for this area.

That parking lot doesn't make much of a streetwall.

I'd take the parking lot instead of an ill thought of tower surrounded by 8 storey historical buildings. At least with the parking lot, you have a chance to do it right.

I'd take the parking lot instead of an ill thought of tower surrounded by 8 storey historical buildings. At least with the parking lot, you have a chance to do it right.

I agree,but in Toronto there is a fine line of what is and is not historical.Should a historic building not be at least 100 years old.

Back