St. Catharines The Shipman | ?m | 21s | Homestead | Alexander Wilson

Branden Simon

Member Bio
Reaction score
The Shipman Apartments - A 3 x 21 Storey apartment buildings currently under construction with 356 units for phase 1 and 178 units for phase 2 located on 25 & 32 Towering Heights Blvd in St. Catharines Glenridge neighbourhood.

Gallery_Rendering_1.jpg

Gallery_Rendering_2.jpg

Gallery_Rendering_14.jpg

Gallery_Pic_1.jpg

Construction update from NiagaraDev
Gallery_Jul2023_1.jpg

I'm not entirely sure how walkable that area of st. kitts is so it might be a necessary evil..

and yes I thought the same thing about them - I just tire of cladding curtain wall and concrete.. to the point ANYTHING that doesn't look AS cookie cutter I at least feel is a small victory..

true architecture is pretty much dead for most projects at this point though.

I'll make my typical UT contribution of 2 screenshots from Google Maps...

Screenshot 2023-08-15 154732.png

Screenshot 2023-08-15 154755.png

It's quite a unique spot. It's a 500 metre walk to a couple small plazas with lots of typical everyday small retail and a couple food options, and around a kilometre walk to the Pen Centre mall. Teens would probably benefit from the location most, with schools being really close by as well. I don't think anyone living here would be without a car though.

I'd like to see a multi-use path/boardwalk built through the little valley of woodlands separating the cluster of high rises and the plaza. It would cut the walk distance to less than 200 metres which is doable for pretty much everyone even on the coldest days, and it would be mostly sheltered from the wind, too. Not to mention a much more pleasant walk than right beside busy roads.

it's a 1960's tower in the park built in 2023.

Regarding cold winter walks - St. Kitts is the warmest part of the GGH. The average daily high in January is actually above freezing, the only place other than deep SW Ontario (i.e. Windsor) to lay claim to that in the province. So the people living here would have to endure fewer of those cold days than someone living in TO.

"Towering Heights" lol is Niagara's largest concentration of high density highrise residential.

My mom recalls when the first few highrises were newly built as her cousin and her husband lived there while saving for a house. They were all great apartments when new. Many decades later, some buildings are in better shape than others. I'm not sure how many turned into condos.

Even though the Pen Centre (Niagara's largest mall) is a short walk away I doubt (almost) anyone does it. I doubt most even walk to Timmy's, Dollarama or the decades old popular Cat's Caboose pub.

Back