Toronto The One | 328.4m | 91s | Mizrahi Developments | Foster + Partners

By kkgg7's logic, had the Cawthra House at King + Bay survived into more recent times (it was torn down in the late 40s for Scotia), it should still be deemed expendable.

Come to think of it, speaking of King + Bay, might as well deem Mies' TD bank pavilion expendable, too. Only a single storey occupying too much valuable land; intensification would be better...

Last edited:
So where do we go from here,:confused: many of these buildings will not be able to withstand another 20-30 years of abuse and neglect....either the municipal government sets up a program fund to help the landlords with fixing and updating these so called historical structures, or the developers will move in like hawks and offer the property owners wads of cash for these deteriorating properties that they dont really have much interest in.

The City does have a grant program for facade improvement
"Commercial Façade Improvement Program for BIAs
The City offers grants to eligible commercial property owners for the improvements to commercial building façades. This could include replacing or repairing windows, doors, lighting, awnings, brickwork, signage, or making building entrances wheelchair accessible."

As for Apple... this is what I know: Apple was talking to the Stollery family in Nov/Dec. The store is owned by 2 parties - the stollery family and another family which was given part ownership in lieu of day-to-day management. The Stollery family is fairly happy to close the store and lease the property to Apple. The other family - not so much (this may also be why the manager doesn't really know what's up). Not really sure where things were left off...

With the Yonge Street line running close to capacity I don't see the logic with Yonge Street losing it's heritage and going highrise.
The North Downtown Yonge Street Planning Framework can't come quickly enough.

too late pal....the train has already left the station! Exhibit A, 7pm tonight at the YMCA! (shudder)

With the Yonge Street line running close to capacity I don't see the logic with Yonge Street losing it's heritage and going highrise.
The North Downtown Yonge Street Planning Framework can't come quickly enough.

You simply can't expect downtown Yonge to remain its low rise status quo, particularly when the subway runs under it. Developers will snatch every inch of land possible to go highrise.

Only a certain percentage of buildings on Yonge is "heritage", and I am not proposing to demolish them (eg: NW College/Yonge, and some beautiful row houses). Yet the rest (maybe 70%) between Dundas and Bloor can go and no culture of Toronto will be lost. Just because one particular house is 100 years old doesn't make it automatically heritage and worth preserving forever.

Density has to occur somewhere. If you don't like Yonge St to go high, where do you propose? Notice it will need to provide convience in terms of both city amenities and transit.

I say keep the facade the way it is and replace the glass on the third with something Apple inspired. Would look great!

You simply can't expect downtown Yonge to remain its low rise status quo, particularly when the subway runs under it. Developers will snatch every inch of land possible to go highrise.

Only a certain percentage of buildings on Yonge is "heritage", and I am not proposing to demolish them (eg: NW College/Yonge, and some beautiful row houses). Yet the rest (maybe 70%) between Dundas and Bloor can go and no culture of Toronto will be lost.

I agree that Yonge will almost certainly become denser (read: highrise) and that it makes sense for it to do so from a city-building & planning perspective. But to assert that "no culture will be lost" in the process is absurd res ipsa loquitur.

Only a certain percentage of buildings on Yonge is "heritage", and I am not proposing to demolish them (eg: NW College/Yonge, and some beautiful row houses). Yet the rest (maybe 70%) between Dundas and Bloor can go and no culture of Toronto will be lost. Just because one particular house is 100 years old doesn't make it automatically heritage and worth preserving forever.

Density has to occur somewhere. If you don't like Yonge St to go high, where do you propose? Notice it will need to provide convience in terms of both city amenities and transit.

Why can't we have it both ways - see what they're doing with the Five building right now. A whole strip of restored Victorians backed by large high-rises would make for a very interesting/unique streetscape.

Precisely, a strategy that is emerging as a very 'Toronto' response to low rise heritage in areas prime for development.

Read the North Downtown Yonge Street Planning Framework. The 460 & 501 disasters will hopefully end there once the Planning Framework for this strip of Yonge is complete, and adapted. From there we need something like what Winnipeg has, the owner must keep their buildings in a good state of repair or the City will put a lien on the property. An aggressive stance like that will wake up absentee, off-shore investors.

Read the North Downtown Yonge Street Planning Framework. The 460 & 501 disasters will hopefully end there once the Planning Framework for this strip of Yonge is complete, and adapted. From there we need something like what Winnipeg has, the owner must keep their buildings in a good state of repair or the City will put a lien on the property. An aggressive stance like that will wake up absentee, off-shore investors.

the 460 and 501 disasters will "end"?? why, because of a flimsy "framework" that's currently taking place? that is laughable. Lanterra paid $38.5 million dollars for 501. Canderel $22 million for 460. Trust me when i say that neither of these two will simply "end" as you put it.

I don't think he meant to imply that those specific projects will not proceed, just that they will be the end of projects that pay no attention to their context on Yonge. But maybe better to let him clarify it himself.

The 460 & 501 disasters will hopefully end there once the Planning Framework for this strip of Yonge is complete, and adapted. .

They are far from being disasters ...for heavens sake they havent even got city approval, let a lone being built...i guess if you dont want many changes, this city planning framework is a good way to get rid of hi-rise development.

From BuzzBuzzHome via twitter:

Just heard from a reliable source that the Apple flagship store rumour in Toronto is NOT true.

I'm assuming their source isn't a Stollery's employee either. Who to believe, UT or BBH? Both have heavy connections in the industry, will be interesting to see how this one plays out.

Back