Toronto The One | 328.4m | 91s | Mizrahi Developments | Foster + Partners

And a double-whammy that includes a more subtle dig at FCP:

Just what so special about about FCP anyways? It wasn't even that pathbreaking back in its time in the Toronto context (TD Centre can claim originality, RBC can claim exuberance; FCP can claim...taller?) It's the weakest of the bank towers.

AoD

Just what so special about about FCP anyways? It wasn't even that pathbreaking back in its time in the Toronto context (TD Centre can claim originality, RBC can claim exuberance; FCP can claim...taller?) It's the weakest of the bank towers.

AoD

Yup. IMO FCP’s claim to fame has always been its height. And I have to agree, it’s my least favourite of the major towers at surrounding Bay and King.

As for The One, I genuinely believe we’re in for a treat. As the Globe article mentioned, it’s quite amazing that the design wasn’t ripped to shreds over the past few years. To me, the building that’s being built is close enough to its best iteration. It’s a very strong and worthy design for what will be tallest building in the country, plus there will be an incredible space at ground level for everyone to enjoy. Hard to ask for more at this point.

AoD

Agreed- and the fact that it replaced an architecturally interesting block with a dull, unnecessary (in today's terms) podium is another mark against it.

Okay, our front page story from today's ground breaking ceremony is here, and the database file has been updated with several new renderings (starting in position #6).

One thing that's not in the front page story: the press release now calls this an 85-storey building. There's not claim of any more metres added to the top though, so I am wondering if it's a rejigging of the floors above the podium, and am waiting for new elevations before we change the numbers in the database file. (With fewer double-height podium floors now, maybe three of them have been converted to six regular-height floors?) Hopefully I have confirmation on that tomorrow.

Lots of action on site today.
438F4FEF-EA3A-4179-B0C1-C0EA45F0C620.jpeg
A99EFB9D-3938-4CAF-A064-4C703FCAAACC.jpeg
500D79E9-11A0-4611-8819-0F6572A188FC.jpeg

Attachments

• 438F4FEF-EA3A-4179-B0C1-C0EA45F0C620.jpeg
    438F4FEF-EA3A-4179-B0C1-C0EA45F0C620.jpeg
    356.5 KB · Views: 473
  • A99EFB9D-3938-4CAF-A064-4C703FCAAACC.jpeg
    A99EFB9D-3938-4CAF-A064-4C703FCAAACC.jpeg
    328 KB · Views: 452
  • 500D79E9-11A0-4611-8819-0F6572A188FC.jpeg
    500D79E9-11A0-4611-8819-0F6572A188FC.jpeg
    278.9 KB · Views: 469
Sorry to bring up this question again, nobody answered it previously. I've never seen steel-free shoring before. Would the concrete walls be sturdy enough? it's very unusual, especially for a large tower as this one.

Chiming in here, on one of my short visits home (been travelling).

Super glad to hear this development will actually take place, and same for the Gehry plan on King W.

The One is right at Yonge and Bloor. Significant changes to that intersection, to say the very least. Here's my point -- a while ago I began to realize that the 'new Toronto' that is being created is not at all what anyone expected. Now, that's ok with me, as long as the city administration does its part - improving the public realm. Can Yonge St. ever become a beautiful environment? Plantings, lighting, wider sidewalks? I know there are is a plan but it is so vulnerable to politics. One hopes that the powers that be just grow up.

Sorry to bring up this question again, nobody answered it previously. I've never seen steel-free shoring before. Would the concrete walls be sturdy enough? it's very unusual, especially for a large tower as this one.

There'll be plenty of steel - just wait ;)

Benito will have lots of fun photographing it.

Last edited by a moderator:
The One is a gorgeous building that will add character and density to our skyline... Too bad Mizrahi is a known scumbag :(
If you want to make an accusation, then you back it up with evidence. Otherwise you're trolling, and you're gone.

Back