Toronto Empire Midtown | ?m | 16s | Empire | Richmond Architects

sixrings

Member Bio
Reaction score
Just walked by a building proposal directly beside the Pizza Pizza on the corner of Oakwood and Eglinton. Its suppose to be a mixed use building which includes commerical and residential use. I wish I had a camera so I could have taken a picture of the sign. If anyone is handy its just west of Eglinton West station.

18 floors is out of context to the surrounding neighbourhoods. PLus isnt this against the citys avenues beautifying program? Also the parking lot directly beside this piece of land which is owned by the government should be being built on as well. Otherwise in the future when they build on that land there will be units facing other units. If sustainable neighbourhoods include denisty there shouldnt be above ground parking lots every 200 meters from eachother. Especially when sufficent on street parking exists.

With the Eglinton LRT being built, they would be constructing the Oakwood station at that corner. That could mean the entrance to the Oakwood station could be part of the building, maybe even using the construction site as part of the tunnel construction. After completion, any parking lots in the area will be redeveloped, after they finish.

Even if it will be developed after 18 floors is still out of context. That should be addressed now.

True, 18 storeys is out context for that neighbourhood but a) that neighbourhood needs all the investment it can get; b) once the LRT is opened (and even before) there will naturally be redevelopment pressure. The Avenues 'policy' means nothing --- a developer can rationalize anything -- look at the condo tower at Bathurst and St.Clair and the second tower to be built next to it - both were supposed to be much shorter.

However the St. Clair was a Condo building. This site suggests by its application that it is a apartment building. I too would agree nice luxury condos would be a great investment in the area. However another apartment building isnt an investment. So to summarize I could live with the height if I knew it was going to be for the benefit of the communtiy. However ANOTHER apartment building, and on the main part of eglinton, right on top of a new LRT stop, seems to me to not offer much benefits to the community. Instead it would be wasting a rare asset (LAND ON TOP OF LRT STOPS).

The EA for the Eglinton Crosstown LRT has this comment about the Oakwood station:

3.5.7.5 Oakwood Station
Oakwood Station will be located at the intersection of Eglinton Avenue and Oakwood Avenue. Oakwood Station is shown on Sheet No. 45. Currently the land on all sides of the intersection is developed with a mix of commercial and residential buildings. At the immediate intersection (which is a T-intersection), the land use is as follows: North side of Eglinton Avenue at Oakwood Avenue – Mixed use two-to-three-storey commercial/residential buildings. Southeast corner – Mixed use two-storey commercial/residential buildings; and Southwest corner – Single storey commercial building with parking lot further west of the building. This site is currently subject to a development proposal for a mid-rise residential building with retail at ground level facing Eglinton Avenue.

According to the above, it was to have been a mid-rise. 18-stories is not a mid-rise.

attachment.php

According to the current plans, an entrance had been planned for the south-east corner. The entrance could be relocated to the south-west corner instead. Maybe in exchange for moving the entrance to the south-west corner and becoming part of the development, they are getting allowance for 18 stories in exchange (just thinking out loud).

Last edited:
Just west of Eglinton West station there are two sets of Townhouses. Each set of townhouses are pressed right up against FOR LEASE retail stores. I wish the developers would simply buy these businesses and finish there townhouses. As for the town houses behind this "MID RISE" I hope they are made out of BRICK. THe Stucco exterior of the townhouses look nice in the sun, but in the rain and in the winter leave much to be desired. At least thats my opinon. Hopefully the city makes a good decision on this property since it is going to be one of the first new developments in the LRT Eglinton West Era.

Google provides many answers!

1)Address is 1603 Eglinton Avenue West

2)BIA supports this building and has a rendering in their newsletter here: http://www.yorkbia.com/newsletter/Newsletter_Complete_2010_7.pdf

3)OMB dated 30 Nov 2010: http://www.omb.gov.on.ca/e-decisions/pl100535-Nov-30-2010.pdf --proposed reduction from 18s to 14s, on a 9s podium with 14 townhouses on Lanark. No Decision as of 23 Dec 2010, OMB is in favour of this development though by the looks of it.

So am I! Looks like the owner of the Pizza Pizza building is against it--let me guess he wants to put a condo on his lot?

Last edited:
yes it does work.. the link... my computer must be slow... Very nice... considerable upgrade..

Sixrings: the Notice of Application signs do not distinguish between rental apartments and condominium apartments, so this could go either way.

1603Eglinton.jpg

yes yes and yes. Glad this is coming. I moved to this area years ago from Yonge eglinton, as I think it has potential, just needs some modernizing, closing the Allen and or building over it, and an LRT to serve those who can't afford cars all along this arterial. This is a good step towards further density along an already fairly densely populated and retail served area. Good stuff, I heartily endorse more of this...

All they have to do to reduce the traffic congestion on Eglinton is Toll the North Bound Allen... Or make the north bound ALLEN accessable only from the east side of Eglinton. The traffic is a direct result of people heading east and trying to make that left turn onto the ALLEN..

Back