Toronto TCHC Block 32 Development | ?m | 41s | TCHC | KPMB

Exactly. (Though it does have an unfortunate way of looking like a prime influence on that new student residence at Church + Gerrard...)

...it does? Like maybe the architect of the Church Gerrard student residence was shown the Prague development for 15 milliseconds and told to reproduce what he thought he saw. If he had been given a picture of it to actually study, we'd have ended up with something far superior.

Oh well.

Anyway, regarding the TCHC buildings here? One can only hope they'll hire Stephen Teeple again like they did on Richmond near Jarvis. We need some updates on that one...

There was recently an RFP with a number of developers applying to the city to construct the first phase of the development. It is my understanding the Howard Cohen has been awarded the first phase of the new development, but there will be multiple developers involved through subsequent phases.

About 60% of the total development will be affordable for lower income families, while 40% will be built as market housing. A library is planned for part of the block 32 & 36 developments.

Please note the photo below is old and doesn't reflect the current proposal - it simply gives and idea of the location and potential massing.

it is a good sign that Howard Cohen of Context Developments won the bid for the first phase of this development, at least I can be hopeful that something nice will transpire on this site ...

for a second there I confused the name with Mitchell Cohen of Daniels', I would be upset if Daniels' got there hands on these lands with the kind of stuff they build...

I believe it happens simultaneously. Mike responded to a similar question that I had in the 525 Adelaide thread - an answer which may pertain to your question as well.

Regent Park redevelopment is another good example. The developers of the market units will pay TCHC to offset some of the capital (and maybe operating) costs. I don't know if the land is severed and sold to the developer with the sale proceeds going to pay for the construction costs or if there is another type of agreement in place.

it is a good sign that Howard Cohen of Context Developments won the bid for the first phase of this development, at least I can be hopeful that something nice will transpire on this site ...

They should call the project "TranSpire! The Condo".

Last edited by a moderator:
Ah, Europe. I miss the place sometimes.

That building from Prague just looks like it's having fun. CityPlace, on the other hand, looks like a bunch of suits.

Finally, railway lands to see affordable housing
Toronto Star
March 14, 2010

Patty Winsa

It turns out the recession has been a boon to Toronto’s affordable housing supply.

In recent years, condo towers have sprouted like dandelions on the old railway lands surrounding the foot of the CN Tower, but it took an injection of cash from the federal and provincial governments’ $540 million economic stimulus package to finally get construction going on an affordable rental buildings.

Work began in January on a 422-unit 40-storey rental tower, on land transferred to the Toronto Community Housing Corporation by the city. The apartments will rent at 80 per cent of market rates.

The land was deeded to the city in 1994, when the CNR sold off the former railway yards for development. The city’s official plan at the time called for 20 per cent of large developments to be set aside for community housing. The area is now the site of City Place, a multi-tower condominium development by Concord Adex.

“The funding window has come together in this sort of convergence where the building is going on,” says Sean Gadon, director of the city’s affordable housing office. “It couldn’t be at a better time.”

The city set aside $21 million for the project in 2006, but hopes to get a further $18 million in stimulus funding this month that’s needed to complete the building. If that money doesn’t come through, Gadon says some of the units will be rented at market rates to cover costs.

Toronto has received more than $100 million in stimulus funding to construct about 1,200 affordable-housing units, as approved by council in September. Those units include 179 in the redeveloped Queen St. site of the Centre for Addiction and Mental Health; 62 senior units in Deauville Place, in Flemingdon Park; 210 units at Chichester Place, near Victoria Park and Sheppard Ave.; and 237 units at 485 Patricia Ave. in the Bathurst St. and Steeles Ave. W. area.

The end of the stimulus program in March next year means a return to the original federal/provincial Affordable Housing Program, which is vastly different from the program in place in the early ‘90s, says Gadon. Then, the city had a “robust non-profit housing program” that included “100 per cent capital funding and long-term operating subsidies of 25 or 30 years” by senior governments, says Gadon. “Those don’t exist anymore.”

Government funding now covers only capital costs, and not operating subsidies for services such as heat, hydro and insurance, which means there is no additional money to subsidize rents.

“The consequence of that is it makes it more difficult to serve people that are at the very low end of the income scale,” says Gadon. “They don’t have enough to pay rent and there is no program to subsidize the monthly rent shortfall between what they can pay and what it costs to service the operation.”

Money from the sale of future market-priced condominiums developed by TCHC on the railway lands will help pay for the affordable housing units, a model first used by the housing provider in the Regent Park redevelopment

Back