Toronto Tableau Condominiums | 124.05m | 36s | Urban Capital | Wallman Architects

D'n'B at System, those were the days....

Hell yeah I remember those days, I still listen to dnb and remember fondly the days going to system, and what was that other place on adelaide I believe near spadina where they also had drum n bass weekly? Anyway, just some good memories, funny how the dnb scene went soo downhill in this city...but thats a talk for another day...

Hell yeah I remember those days, I still listen to dnb and remember fondly the days going to system, and what was that other place on adelaide I believe near spadina where they also had drum n bass weekly? Anyway, just some good memories, funny how the dnb scene went soo downhill in this city...but thats a talk for another day...

Only other place I remember on Adelaide was Turbo, at Peter I think. I don't know what it is now, but I had some good times there when (i think) Vinyl Syndicate held their Tuesday night jams. There was another place in more recent years but don't remember what it was called, and was east of John.

Now the only weekly place for d'n'b I know of is down1 on Front.

Who in their right mind would pay to live at one of the noisiest, police controlled intersections in the city on any given friday or saturday night?

I wouldn't live here even if someone gave me the place for free! Well, maybe for free...

Who in their right mind would pay to live at one of the noisiest, police controlled intersections in the city on any given friday or saturday night?

I wouldn't live here even if someone gave me the place for free! Well, maybe for free...

But, with this development (which closes Tonic, Cantina Charlie's and Embassy), plus the Habitat-inspired proposal for the Joker site across the street and the city's shelter planned for the NE corner, will Richmond/Peter remain "one of the noisiest, police controlled intersections in the city"?

I think not.

I know this is off topic but I'm surprised that no-one mentioned Whiskey Saigon before it became Joe...who remembers Retro-Sunday Nights?!

The majority of clubs along Richmond/Peter/Adelaide circuit will remain open and one of the noise contributors at the intersection of Richmond & Peter is people turning south on Peter and then East along Adelaide.

This circular route of vehicles will probably be a bit quieter but will more than likely not die down too much. It will still be a noisy street corner on at least 3/7 of nights.

It sounds like this is the beginning of the end of the club district on Richmond. Soon all the clubs will have shifted to Adelaide & King. I can't think off too many left on Richmond, especially west of John anymore. I'm sure developers are licking their chops at the former Plastique site (now Privilege) on the south-west corner of Peter & Richmond ... great memories at that club on my end for sure!

It was so weird though, to see those daytime photos of that Peter/Richmond intersection that someone posted ... such a dead area during the day, so peaceful and quiet ... almost incomprehensible to think of it as the exact same spot that we all know about on Friday & Saturday nights. It's just another world by day.

It was so weird though, to see those daytime photos of that Peter/Richmond intersection that someone posted ... such a dead area during the day, so peaceful and quiet ... almost incomprehensible to think of it as the exact same spot that we all know about on Friday & Saturday nights. It's just another world by day.
That could be distributed all over the city if they removed that nightclub district bylaw. It would be like Nuit Blanche every Friday and Saturday night!

Wow.. this is news to me. Cantina Charlie's is one of my clients. They're opening a new one in Niagara Falls this coming weekend. I guess they're anticipating the closure of this one.

It's too bad, it's the best college hangout in the city right now. You rarely see thugs, fights are almost non-existent, drinks are cheap, the shooter girls are hot, and its really just a big party every weekend.

So whatever happened to Tonic "closing immediately"? There's no indication of that happening any time soon. As you can see in some of the pictures posted in this thread, FitnessOne just opened in that building. I don't think it'll get demolished anytime soon.
I guess Cantina Charlie's and Pizzaville still have a good 2 years left if the plan is for the Tonic/Embassy to close first.

By the way, I think Vaughan may have shot himself in the foot by allowing/encouraging the homeless shelter right on that corner. It'll be up and ready in a few months, way before the sales centre for this condo opens up.

... Now, if you were buying a condo and you walked up to the spot where it's supposed to rise and what stands out the most on that intersection is a big fat homeless shelter... Would you even bother walking into the sale centre after that?

I used to rent a condo unit right across a street from a homeless shelter. I'm pretty sure everyone who bought a unit was well aware of what was there.

Still, there can be little doubt that such a place would turn some people off. But then again, these buyers are going to be purchasing in one of the more active locations downtown. A homeless shelter should not be too big a surprise. If it is, then they will be in for a big shock on Friday night.

Surely the homeless shelter is a great idea here? Contractors need a good local supply of daylabourers to build condos and with a large supply right next door it sounds brilliant!

(But the homeless shelter is probably a temporary thing: could be a future City-owned office building site?)

Yeah, living on this corner means a homeless shelter isn't going to be your biggest concern.

^ I dont think the club district will be a concern if that's what you're referring to.
Fez Batik is already gone on the NE corner. Distrikt and Light Lounge are slated to make way for an office/condo tower at the NW corner. This proposal eliminates 3 clubs on the SE corner and apparently Privilege is not going to become another club which frees the SW corner from clubs also.

The only clubs in the immediate vicinity will be Lot 332, Republik, Budo and maybe This is London if it stays... that's at least a 70 decrease in nightlife patronage but a significant increase in homeless people where there were none/few before.

Back