Toronto Sun Life Financial Tower & Harbour Plaza Residences | 236.51m | 67s | Menkes | Sweeny &Co

Yea I'm totally aware of that. Can't barbeque on balconies either. Too bad. There's not much you can do on a balcony. I guess I'll put a breakfast table on my balcony to maximize my living space.

Depending on the condo you can still get away with an electrical grill (although my condo has banned them).

Also in Asia, the washing machine is usually in the kitchen. And you can totally live without a drying machine in a condo. You can either hang it dry on the balcony or get a dehumidifier.

There are combo units you can get as well. I replaced my washer/dryer pair with a single unit that does both a few years ago in order to build a small pantry where the dryer was to help deal with the small kitchen. My kitchen is large by condo standards these days, and I still couldn't deal with the lack of space.

Somewhat related to this discussion, interesting takeaway from Gil Meslin, looking at Airbnb open data.

image.png

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    614.8 KB · Views: 573
There are condos built with gas hookups on their balconies. Has something happened to make those illegal?

I think the ones with gas hookups have extra security built into the unit like a sprinkler system or something. They also have a shut off valve. I'm not really sure why my building banned eletric BBQ's but our management is very anal.

I think the ones with gas hookups have extra security built into the unit like a sprinkler system or something. They also have a shut off valve. I'm not really sure why my building banned eletric BBQ's but our management is very anal.
If your building management banned anything they cannot do so, Things like that need to be in the RULES and Rules are set by your elected Board (and owners can overturn them.)

Any idea what the green vs. red dots are...and the two units listed apparently in the middle of the harbour?

Not sure, but if I were to guess I would think red is "entire apartment" rentals, and blue and green are the other types or rentals? (shared room, vs. private room?)

The ones in the harbour could be houseboats. I have seen listings on there for houseboats at the island before.

Not sure, but if I were to guess I would think red is "entire apartment" rentals, and blue and green are the other types or rentals? (shared room, vs. private room?)

The ones in the harbour could be houseboats. I have seen listings on there for houseboats at the island before.

Yup.

Red = entire home/apartment
Green = private room
Blue = shared room

Not sure about the in-the-lake ones; could just be geolocation data related to island properties that's slightly off.

Somewhat related to this discussion, interesting takeaway from Gil Meslin, looking at Airbnb open data.

View attachment 117436
Offensive. I want a home, not a hotel for itinerant millenials. I'm an apartment dweller, but one of the main reasons my partner and I are thinking about leaving the city is because we can't afford a house, and have no appetite for Airbnb'd condos.

Aren't there imminent rules that will outlaw AirBnB units that are not someone usual residence, and also new rules preventing any person/entity from renting multiple units just for AirBnB purposes?

Offensive. I want a home, not a hotel for itinerant millenials. I'm an apartment dweller, but one of the main reasons my partner and I are thinking about leaving the city is because we can't afford a house, and have no appetite for Airbnb'd condos.

There are condos around that are quite strict about their short term rental units. My building shuts them down as soon as they find them. Fines are levied if they don't get the picture.

Back