Toronto Studio and Studio2 on Richmond | 131.06m | 41s | Aspen Ridge | BDP Quadrangle

You're entitled to your opinion the design and so forth, but while to you this is just another nasty building, to me, this is my home. It goes a little bit beyond the design aspect. And I would never call someone else's home "nasty".

I've lived in apartment buildings, and the only area I ever consider to be home was my unit. Actually, I'd probably agree if someone called the exterior of any of the buildings I lived in nasty (see Ganhavih's post to get an idea). Anyways, I didn't mean to insult your home since I have no clue as to what condition it is in.

You're entitled to your opinion the design and so forth, but while to you this is just another nasty building, to me, this is my home. It goes a little bit beyond the design aspect. And I would never call someone else's home "nasty".
Sorry about your ugly home.

The advertising on the side of 181 and 199 Richmond is actually a bit of a hot issue right now. There's some information about that here. The article a bit old, but the issue of large vinyl murals is being discussed in court right now.

If we can't comment on buildings where people actually live we probably shouldn't comment on where they work either.

I guess we should shut the forum down.

For all its aesthetic clumsiness (and I'd agree: it's no more "original" than Ye Glasse Towers), University Plaza is decent urbanism. And given the environs, it'll never truly be a slum except under Detroit/Johannesburg circumstances.

It needs neighbours, though. With friends on either side, you'll never really notice it.

As thrilling as it is for me to argue with strangers on a internet forum, I naively thought that some level of respect was held with commentary on such forums.

Sorry for my ugly home? Classy. Really classy.

If we can't comment on buildings where people actually live we probably shouldn't comment on where they work either.

I guess we should shut the forum down.

I work in Vaughan, and I will be there along with all the others bashing this City. This forum saves me from having to look outside at this sprawling wasteland of low-rise industrial office buildings, two highways, Big Box Central and more 18-wheelers than people walking on the street. I do overlook the terminus to the Spadina extension and when construction begins WWF is gonna protest the relocation of all those Geese from the acres of open land they roam in.

...I naively thought that some level of respect was held with commentary on such forums.

Sorry for my ugly home? Classy. Really classy.

I have to agree with greengrey on this one.

Everyone is subject to their own opinions, however, I feel that these opinions should be shared in an intelligent, inoffensive way. It is one thing to comment and critique architectural merits of a building, but it is another to generalize a building, any building, as being "ugly".

Sorry about your ugly home.

I think that some people here need to learn to be more respectful. There are other ways to get your point across without having to be rude.

A lot of people here take themselves a little too seriously... I wouldn't pay too much attention to them. Bear in mind this isn't a forum populated by architects or anything like that... just a bunch of random unimportant people who happen to own a computer.

Speak for yourself.

Yeah....I don't own a computer.

(seriously, there are way too many posts...by certain individuals...that are way too personal. No comment ever has to be personal in nature: we are discussing urban and architectual issues, not the worth of somebody's investment (none of our business) or where anybody lives or is from (totally irrelevant). rant over.)

We bash a lot of buildings on this forum. "Ugly" is actually fairly mild compared to other terms used here. I fail to see why anybody should apologise because somebody who has just started posting on this board happens to live there, and says he is offended by what has been posted here about that building. Are we going to refrain from criticizing any and all residental buildings, on the chance that some random thin-skinned person who lives in it might see the criticism and get offended? I'm sorry, but having that person say that he does not want to read any negative remarks about a building is no good reason to stop remarking on that building.

/\ Mongo's got it here. Someone's ownership in a building should not dictate what can and can't be said bout that structure. While I will cede that the 'Sorry about your ugly home' comment was a little much, I will still defend Grey's right to say it.

One's ownership of a unit in any given building is an accomplishment in itself. When others critique the aesthetics of that building, it is up to the owner to defend his/her investment. Greengrey is not doing a good job of this (both here and in the Shangri-la thread) since he is not defending his building and is predicating his critiques of surrounding structures on height and glass-content.

"As thrilling as it is for me to argue with strangers on a internet forum, I naively thought that some level of respect was held with commentary on such forums."

If you feel that offended, why do you continue here. I'm not trying to sound antagonistic but arguing and debating is exactly what this forum is about. There is generally an excellent rapport here, as I'm sure you well know, just don't get too down when things don't work out.

^ I also agree. Especially as that sort of critique/criticism is not just a side effect of discussions here, it's the whole point of the forum! While we should always keep things civilized, we can't let some weird form of architectural political correctness prevent us from expressing our (subjective!) views on buildings.

What's next, "you can't say that about building X, I happen to work there, that's my livelyhood!" ?

If you feel that offended, why do you continue here. I'm not trying to sound antagonistic but arguing and debating is exactly what this forum is about. There is generally an excellent rapport here, as I'm sure you well know, just don't get too down when things don't work out.

I think that greengrey has actually been treated fairly well. There has not been a single personal attack that I am aware of, the negative comments are all directed at the building. Compare this to my reception, which was (in my opinion) much more bruising. By the end of my first week here, I rather felt like the zebra in the following image, wandering into the lion's den of UT:

65450400.MZw9dOlN.jpg

Bill

Back