Toronto St Lawrence Market North | 25.3m | 5s | City of Toronto | Rogers Stirk Harbour

The old wrought iron gates (originally from one of the Eatons' houses, I think) were taken away this morning.

Also, they were trimming back the trees on the East side of Market Lane.

From last week. The work starts.

IMG_0759.JPG
IMG_0761.JPG
IMG_0757.JPG
IMG_0758.JPG
IMG_0760.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_0758.JPG
    IMG_0758.JPG
    277 KB · Views: 1,262
  • IMG_0760.JPG
    IMG_0760.JPG
    314.1 KB · Views: 1,251
  • IMG_0761.JPG
    IMG_0761.JPG
    408.5 KB · Views: 1,236
  • IMG_0759.JPG
    IMG_0759.JPG
    354.9 KB · Views: 1,273
  • IMG_0757.JPG
    IMG_0757.JPG
    300.2 KB · Views: 1,273
I have walked by this building twice a day for 10 years and never noticed there were heads on the wall :)

I believe they are the Apostles. Possibly also from Ardwold?

They cut down a couple of trees today, presumably to allow easier access to the north end. Nothing like the wood chipper going at 7 am to start the day off right!

Nothing like the wood chipper going at 7 am to start the day off right!

The trucks backing up at the Sixty Condo site at 6:00 AM are a pretty good way as well.

The heads are gone.

IMG_0839.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_0839.JPG
    IMG_0839.JPG
    462.2 KB · Views: 902
News Release
August 31, 2016

Demolition of North St. Lawrence Market set to begin next week

The demolition and archeological assessment of Toronto's North St. Lawrence Market will start next week, marking an important step in the redevelopment project.

"The current North St. Lawrence Market is underutilized and does not maximize the full potential of the St. Lawrence Market Complex," said Deputy Mayor Pam McConnell (Ward 28 Toronto Centre-Rosedale). "The redevelopment will create a landmark destination within the St. Lawrence neighbourhood and enhance one of the top-ranked farmers markets in the world."

Work has been underway at the North St. Lawrence Market building since July to prepare for the structural demolition. The demolition and archeological assessment will take about six months to complete, and could be extended if further artifacts or structures of historical value or interest are discovered once the building is demolished.

Following demolition, construction of the North St. Lawrence Market is tentatively scheduled to begin in 2017 and will open to the public in 2019.

The temporary market, located at 125 The Esplanade, continues to operate every weekend with the Saturday farmers market and Sunday antique market.

The new five-storey building, which will expand from a weekend market to a seven-day operation, will include a farmers market and commercial event space, space for hospitality use, a demonstration kitchen, a kitchen incubator, a seniors' resource centre and court services, as well as an underground parking garage with 250 spaces on four levels.

The St. Lawrence Market Complex, made up of St. Lawrence Hall, the South Market and the North Market building, has served as a Toronto landmark for more than 200 years and remains one of the most valuable historical sites in Toronto.

What a god-awful dump. Good riddance. Charmless, concrete barn.

Oh... I thought you were talking about the existing building. Wait. You are?

I can't believe they had a design (!!!!!) competition for this piece of horse manure.

22479-78053.jpeg

What stings is that the competition actually produced a beautiful and original building. But all beauty and originality was sucked out of it. What's the point in having a competition if you're not going to build the winning design?

I bet that if someone had submitted this design during the competition, it would have never been selected. It would have been derided as ugly and unoriginal.

Back