Toronto St Lawrence Market North | 25.3m | 5s | City of Toronto | Rogers Stirk Harbour

More than nine years in planning, eleven or twelve years in total to complete assuming there will be no more delays. That sounds about right for city hall. Yeeesh!

This from the revised tender call - now closing on 1 December. `

SLM 1.JPG

SLM.JPG

Attachments

• SLM.JPG
    SLM.JPG
    42.8 KB · Views: 361
  • SLM 1.JPG
    SLM 1.JPG
    42.2 KB · Views: 343
Le sigh:

upload_2017-9-18_12-31-58.png

http://app.toronto.ca/tmmis/viewAgendaItemHistory.do?item=2017.GM22.13

Government Management Committee consideration on September 25, 2017
GM22.13

Project Funding for North St. Lawrence Market - Archaeological Interpretation
Origin

(August 31, 2017) Report from the Chief Planner and Executive Director, City Planning
Recommendations
The Chief Planner and Executive Director, City Planning recommends that:

1. The Government Management Committee receive this report for information.

Summary
The purpose of this report is to provide information on the additional project funding required for the North St. Lawrence Market project for design and construction services to accommodate the inclusion of a section of the 1831 central drain archaeological resource found on the site for public viewing and interpretation.

Financial Impact
The estimated cost for the inclusion of the 1831 central drain feature as an interpretive opportunity within the new building design is $1.96M. Work included in this estimate consists of modifications to the design of the new building as well as construction costs. Design of the drain feature can be funded within the existing St. Lawrence Market Redevelopment budget, however, the construction cost of $1.64M would require additional funding. Based on the timing of the work schedule, a funding source for the additional cost, including the possibility of Section 37 funds, will be considered as part of the 2018 Recommended Capital Budget and Plan submission for Facilities, Real Estate, and Environment and Energy (FREEE).

The current total project cost is $91.458 million and the funding sources are outlined in Table 1 below.

Background Information
(August 31, 2017) Report and Attachment 1 from the Chief Planner and Executive Director, City Planning on Project Funding for North St. Lawrence Market - Archaeological Interpretation
(http://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2017/gm/bgrd/backgroundfile-106683.pdf)

Attachments

• upload_2017-9-18_12-31-58.png
    upload_2017-9-18_12-31-58.png
    51.7 KB · Views: 373
Maybe they'll just remove another exterior architectural feature to come up with the money.

Last edited:
You lack an appreciation of history! If you ever go to Montreal, go look at the https://pacmusee.qc.ca/en Yes, our history is shorter and there is not as much of it but ....
That's not true I do when it makes sense I just don't see why we need to preserve an old drain with a glass floor over it. I don't see this as something that people flock to see when it opens, but hey what do I know maybe there will always be a huge crowd of people around it.

That's not true I do when it makes sense I just don't see why we need to preserve an old drain with a glass floor over it. I don't see this as something that people flock to see when it opens, but hey what do I know maybe there will always be a huge crowd of people around it.

It's more than 'just an old drain'. It's the remains of what made that area what it is today - and will have a direct relationship to what is being built on the site now. Having a glimpse to that past will become an attraction. I've seen smaller, less well-preserved artifacts attract large crowds elsewhere. Surely a well preserved sewer and the foundations of the original market building will become an attraction in its own right.

Spending an additional 1% of the budget isn't too much to ask for something that will bring even more people into the building. It's a small amount of money, which can easily be made up through donations or fundraising.

The Market has been an important focal point for Toronto for several centuries and should be honored accordingly. Besides, increasingly for tourists it's local historical attractions that distinguish modern cities. 1.9M is peanuts when you think of the added long term value it brings to the site... if it's executed well.

Back