Toronto St Lawrence Condos at 158 Front | 91.44m | 26s | Cityzen | a—A

Yes, plastic topiary like in the Tim Burton exhibition would be more sensible. The shrubbery bridge is the weak point of the design. How does it plug into the taller tower, and who will stop off at that floor to visit it? At first glance, before the Casa Loma Tower, I thought it was the annual April Fool's Day wheeze.

Lots of smart design showing up here.
Street level, podium level in tune to surrounding architecture and finally the twin staggered towers all having a different finish to emphasize those levels and still keeping a cohesive overall feel.
The recessed balconies are are a gutsy, brilliant feature. I say gutsy, because when you do something like that, you give up salable square footage in the individual units, but oh what a beautiful look to the building.
A winner for Cityzen,..again.

Real plants have a couple things going for them: First, they can also be hosed down, and they are, well, real plants! Who wouldn't want more real trees incorporated into urban design? Plastic plants are the ecological equivalent of the facadism that is almost universally despised around here ... Looks good from a distance, but when you get up close they are revealed as being lifeless, sterile, and fake.

Yes real trees are useful as they give off oxygen, but they also drop their leaves and attract bugs and birds which, lets face it, just chatter and poo everywhere.... was indeed kidding!

Really love this design. I wouldn't have guessed it was aA. Looks more like Teeple, or maybe even Moshe Safdie.

34 stories in the middle of a block of mid-rise buildings? aA is rapidly becoming the go-to people when developers need to push a large building through city approval. "Let it through! It's pretty!"

An intelligent, sophisticated design. Vaguely reminiscent of 60 Richmond. The bar has been raised again in Toronto.

Unfortunately, we get the only ocassionally raised bar tower in Toronto. Everything else usually consists of glass boxes.

Back