Toronto Southcore Financial Centre & Delta Toronto | 159.71m | 45s | GWL | KPMB

There are already proposals in place to add retail at the
base of the CN Tower, expand the MTCC, and renovate union station.
Somewhere in that Billion dollars spent has to be high quality retail

Zoned for 37 floors Hotel. Condo/hotel concept like Trump/Ritz would be a welcome addition. Will bring up the while block $ wise

Would it be time for this project to get its own thread? Currently, there are posts about it scattered through several threads, going back a year or more.

There are already proposals in place to add retail at the
base of the CN Tower, expand the MTCC, and renovate union station.
Somewhere in that Billion dollars spent has to be high quality retail

The MTCC is going to be expanded? :O

Block 7A Hotel Development (Fairmont)

There have been posts about this project scattered throughout Projects & Construction, and it is perhaps time to provide a single thread about it.

This is the plot, owned by Fairmont Holdings, located just west of the office tower being built at 18 York. Some previous posts include the following:

Solaris
I remember seeing old applications before where Fairmont (previously Canadian Pacific Properties) being related to the parcel west of 18 York (aka Block 7B) ... anyhow, I dug through the City Planning staff reports from 2002 (http://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/2002/agendas/committees/to/to020129/it007a.pdf) and can confirm OPA + ZBA was approved through By-law 548-2002 and By-law 549-2002 to permit a mixed hotel-residential tower on Block 7B, in effect to create a similar product as Four Seasons, Ritz-Carlton, and Shangri-La

having said that, this was their intentions in 2002, I'm not sure whats the plans are now 6 years later ... well at least it appears they are utilizing the office perimission sought for 18 York Street (aka Block 7A)

marcus a j
Fairmont owns the lands to the west of 18 York and the latest plans were for a hotel and residential building. The Railway Lands East Precinct Plan B identifies as such I believe. Fairmont had a cost sharing agreement with the City to construct the Simcoe Underpass.

Condo George
Look for Fairmount Hotels and Resorts to make their annoucement in the spring of 2010 on their parcel just north west of Ice next to 18 York

TorontoMike$$
Here is a link that mentions FHR holdings (Fairmont) ownership of property in the area. Lanterra purchased the Ice lot from them as well

http://www.lanterradevelopments.com/news/mlse_media_summary.pdf

FHR (Fairmont Holdings) also contributed to the Simcoe tunnel construction. Any development on that land was restricted until the tunnel was completed. Now that it is CondoGeorge is correct it should be a matter of a few months before a big announcement

Zoned for 37 floors Hotel. Condo/hotel concept like Trump/Ritz would be a welcome addition. Will bring up the while block $ wise

Here is an extract from that 2002 planning report:

This report reviews and recommends approval of an application to amend the Official Plan and Zoning By-law to allow the construction of a hotel and office building to be located to the north of Bremner Boulevard between York and Simcoe Streets.

Proposal
The proponent is proposing to build a mixed-use hotel/residential building, or alternatively only a hotel on the site, while maintaining permission to build an office building on the eastern portion of the site. This building on Block 7B (the western portion of the lands) would contain a total of gross floor area of 74,134sq. m. at an overall density of 9.76 (see Application Data Sheet). There currently is no building proposed for the eastern portion of the site to the west of York Street. The proponent is currently allowed to develop an aggregate gross floor area of 132,197 sq. m on both portions of the site and this overall gross floor area would be maintained. On the western portion of the site (Block 7B) the proposed building would have the following statistics:

Hotel use only
74,134 sq. m
800 rooms
300 parking spaces
35 floors - 98 m above grade

Combined Residential/Hotel use
74,134 sq. m
400 rooms
525 one-bedroom units
300 parking spaces
35 floors - 98 m above grade

Keep in mind that this report was written long before any of the current crop of buildings were proposed, and might be considered to no longer be consistent with the built form in the area.

My own opinion is that when this project is made public, Fairmont will be requesting a lot more than 35 (or 37) storeys. 98m would look positively stumpy in comparison to its neighbours.

Last edited:
Mongo: as you can see, this thread has already been set up... in fact two of the posts you quote are from it... so I'm a bit perplexed regarding how you put this together in the first place without knowing that!

Be that as it may, as Solaris has pointed out in another post, this property is block 7B actually. Thanks for compiling the other posts!

For those interested, there's a planning meeting to discuss this site. From Adam Vaughan's January Newsletter
Railway Lands Planning Meeting

Date: Monday January 25, 2010
Time: 6:30 – 8:30 pm
Location: CN Tower, Maple Leaf Cinema (located in the base of the CN Tower)

There will be presentations about the following projects:

- Aquarium proposal at base of CN Tower
- Block 7B (NE corner of Bremner Blvd and Lower Simcoe St.)
- Update on Roundhouse Park improvements

Application has been submitted for mixed use Hotel, Residential, Office and Path on this site. I have word from the city. Working on getting the document

With that kind of mix my bet is that the application is for a significantly taller building.

Just a shot in the dark, but my guess is 45-50.

With that kind of mix my bet is that the application is for a significantly taller building.

Just a shot in the dark, but my guess is 45-50.

It will be interesting to see if that is what's happening. Regardless, anything under 250 metres is going to look like a stump compared to what's to the west of it.

Last edited:
The site is large enough for a hotel tower and an office tower.

Anything under 250 metres as stumpy is freakin' crazy but then aren't you the one suggesting 350m at Avenue & Bloor? I think you're living in the wrong century and galaxy.

The site is large enough for a hotel tower and an office tower.

Anything under 250 metres as stumpy is freakin' crazy but then aren't you the one suggesting 350m at Avenue & Bloor? I think you're living in the wrong century and galaxy.

Definitely not.. Remember, half that block is already being used by the PriceWaterhouseCoopers building. What I'm imagining is a generous podium with an elegant tower above it ~ 50 or so storeys, 200m.

For some reason it is this proposal that is making me the most excited out of Toronto's current crop... Finally filling it Bremner is like a dream come true! A Fairmont hotel to boot is just icing on the cake.

With the Royal York being "hidden" from the traditional skyline shots of the city they have lost that signature look in Toronto.
They may try to reclaim a significant spot here... so I hope they go tall, with a signature design too. :)

It may be interesting to also note that this site is directly in line North to South with the Shangri-La.

Definitely not.. Remember, half that block is already being used by the PriceWaterhouseCoopers building. What I'm imagining is a generous podium with an elegant tower above it ~ 50 or so storeys, 200m.

For some reason it is this proposal that is making me the most excited out of Toronto's current crop... Finally filling it Bremner is like a dream come true! A Fairmont hotel to boot is just icing on the cake.

Yeah, the site is a fair bit larger than PWCs but probably not large enough to cram in two towers. I could see a 3 or 4 storey commercial podium with a tower above but I doubt it will be much more than 150 metres which is a fair bit above the approved zoning.

Back