Toronto Sonic and SuperSonic Condos | 96.31m | 30s | Lindvest Properties | Arcadis

jaycola

Member Bio
Reaction score
If there is a thread already, please delete.

I drove by this building yesterday and noticed it has been gutted front to back.

Adjacent to that lonely office tower to condo conversion tower known as "Tribeca", this looks like a prime subject for a rebuild, conversion or a new multi tower redevelopment.

I couldn't find much of anything other than an old rejection of a 28 story condo for the site. Any idea what's going on there?

Source
"1185 Eglinton Avenue East – demolishing the existing structure and building 31- and 34-storey condominium towers and town-homes totalling around 800 units "
1185_Eglinton.jpg

Last edited:
Yes I've noticed the same thing as you jaycola .... Don't know what's happening there, this is all I could find:

http://app.toronto.ca/ApplicationStatus/details.do?folderRsn=2897235

Building Application Status
Application: Demolition Folder (DM)
Ward 26: Don Valley West
Application#: 11 191530 DEM 00 DM
Issued Date: Jun 15, 2011
Project: Office Demolition
Description: Entire 10 storey building

DM Building Inspection Pt3 Jun 21, 2011
Inspection Jeevaharan, Jeeva (416) 395-1024

Building used to be owned by Skyline but recently was sold to Rose & Thistle Group and they want to build a 31 and 34 storey condo and towhomes with ~800 Units

Building used to be owned by Skyline but recently was sold to Rose & Thistle Group and they want to build a 31 and 34 storey condo and towhomes with ~800 Units

Thanks investican .... it is interesting that the purchaser has a proposal to build a pretty substantial condo, yet there are no development planning applications of any sort submitted as of yet ~

I agree. Not only are they claiming to build a substancially sized project without any development applications but they've demolished the building so there's no income from it. However, I know this building was substancially vacant so it could be the costs of running the building with the lack of tenants was the cause for this

I'm suprised that the City granted a demolition permit in advance of any replacement development approvals ... generally the City does not like to allow demolition to take place to create a empty lot ~

Usually depends on a Site-Plan Control. This being within a designated Secondary Plan and the building was a 30+ year old Office Building with very little tenants I suppose they didn't contend the application.

Hmmmm....

I assume the proposed 2 towers extend beyond the footprint of the office tower itself.

Lots of parking around here, not sure whose property line is which.

I do know the lot at the S/E corner ( Don Mills & Eg.) is City of Toronto property, as is the N/E corner.

The N/E corner is now up for redevelopment through Build Toronto, with the requirement that the new development accommodate the new TTC, ECLRT station within it.

Not sure if the S/E has been up yet.

Would really like to see new development here coordinated with a Flemingdon Park revitalization effort by TCHC and to see a more effective street grid put into play, before buildings block it off.

Particularly, I'd like to see the western section of Ferrand punched through to Eglinton to meet Gervais on the other side with traffic lights, and then extended south as well to meet Grenoble, this would help reduce that community's isolation and provided a more direct route to the Loblaws as well.

Seeing that there is no Secondary Plan that applies to this area, I deferred to the City's Official Plan, which designates the property as "Mixed Use Areas" ... from an Official Plan perspective, anything is possible on the property .... had this been part of "Employment District - Employment Areas", the demolition or removal of employment lands would not be so easy

Toronto OP Land Use Map:
http://www.toronto.ca/planning/official_plan/pdf_chapter1-5/20_landuse_oct2009.pdf

*Not a Secondary Plan.

Property falls under Site and Area Specific Policy # 76 - Mixed Use

Thanks Investican ....

Special Policy Area #76:
76. Southeast of Eglinton Avenue East and Don Mills Road -extends east to DVP
A maximum overall density of 1.8 times the lot area is permitted, with higher densities and massing to be generally concentrated adjacent to Eglinton Avenue East and Don Valley Parkway

http://www.toronto.ca/planning/official_plan/pdf_sitespecific/sas_policies_56_to_83_oct2009.pdf

According to City Planning staff, yes the site has been sold as Investican noted and revised rezoning application has (literally) just been submitted for the 2 residential tower proposal with townhomes towards Ferrand Drive ... a preliminary staff report is expect in Fall 2011

implosion soon ? or traditional dismantling ??

Back