News   Apr 24, 2024
 17     0 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 1.8K     5 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 577     0 

Toronto skyline

Chicago's skyline will always look better with its deco masterpieces. Toronto basically has nothing from that period that is of comparable size. I wish we had had a massive building boom between the 20s and 40s, instead of the 60s.
Oh so true, there are so few good examples of that time period. Same goes for NYC, their building booms started at a much earlier period, so while we may be catching up to Chicago, in terms of density, even when we surpass them, which is a given, we'll never be able to obtain that classical style of skyscrapers, and the power that they encompassed. The only good examples here are the CIBC tower from the 30's, and the Royal York, both of which are now so deeply buried in new glass and steel boxes, we can't even see them anymore. So in that respect, we'll never beat them, then again, why do we so often keep comparing ourselves to other big cities? Toronto can hold its own, in its own unique way. As we continue to grow upward, we'll have our own, very unique skyline with a mixture of architectural methods and styles, and that's good enough for me.

Well, if you compare us to other big North American cities, on a time scale, we are nascent. I'm no historian, but just by observing the stats, we are still a relatively young city that's undergoing an explosive growth spurt. Guess you could say Toronto is going through puberty. When looking at world time scales, 200 years is but a few minutes in the grand scheme of things. In those 200 years, what we've accomplished is nothing short of astounding. Considering that we were established in 1793, where as other cities like NYC (established in 1624), Boston (established in 1630), Philadelphia (established in 1682), etc, have been around quite a bit longer, I'd fully agree that we are a city just beginning to grow, really grow. I most definitely see a time, not long in the future that we will overtake most North American cities in many categories. Nothing can change the fact that we're a young city, but what we're doing to our city is well within our control, and as biased as I am (I really do love my city, and am extremely proud to be a life long Torontonian), I can't be beam with pride, especially when you do a little research, and see how for many years, we were one of the smaller cities, and now we've already grown to the 4th largest in North America, overtaking Chicago last year, with only L.A., Mexico City and NYC ahead of us. To achieve so much so fast, at least to me, is nothing short of a miracle. I just pray I live long enough to see us overtake L.A., which, if our growth continues at its present rate, will happen. For those UT members out there who don't often see the core, or the city at all, make a point of spending the day walking around the down town, mid-town, and up-town cores, and compare it to what it looked like only 10 years ago, and I think you;l see what I'm talking about, but that's just me, looking through my rose coloured glasses, just imagine how the city will look if every proposal and current active sites, are completed. We'll be among the most densely packed cities on earth, time will tell, but again, that's only my humble opinion :):D:)

For those UT members out there who don't often see the core, or the city at all, make a point of spending the day walking around the down town, mid-town, and up-town cores, and compare it to what it looked like only 10 years ago, and I think you;l see what I'm talking about, but that's just me, looking through my rose coloured glasses, just imagine how the city will look if every proposal and current active sites, are completed. We'll be among the most densely packed cities on earth, time will tell, but again, that's only my humble opinion

Be sure to check out this awesome thread created by @innsertnamehere for a glimpse of what the future holds for Toronto's skyline.

http://urbantoronto.ca/forum/threads/future-toronto-3d-model.18361/page-13#post-1055326

Thanks.

Security kicked me out within 2 minutes, just a warning that one of the best publicly accessible skyline viewpoints in the city now has to be shot guerrilla style

Am I the only person to observe a nascent sense of pride in Toronto being Toronto?
No you are not. We are quickly becoming (or have already become) a Global City. We are becoming something that even cities with much larger population, history/culture, political importance are to be envious of.

And while most Toronto residents refuse to believe that we are becoming that internationally relevant, the global elite is busy buying into our property market.

Today:

image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    909.6 KB · Views: 984
You brave soul.
Any weather is tolerable as long as one dresses appropriately. I see so many people complaining about cold weather, yet they dress like it's the beginning of fall. A down jacket, gloves, hat, scarf and long underwear can go a long way. Utility over fashion.

Any weather is tolerable as long as one dresses appropriately. I see so many people complaining about cold weather, yet they dress like it's the beginning of fall. A down jacket, gloves, hat, scarf and long underwear can go a long way. Utility over fashion.

I always laugh when I see girls lined up for a club wearing a skirt in the dead of winter

Back