Toronto Sixty Colborne Condos | 82.29m | 25s | Freed | a—A

I think neighbourhood context is not defined by one particular building ... and IMO I don't particularly agree/understand why SPIRE got approved where it is ... even after it is built it still appears to me as one that 'jumps out' of the St. James area landscape

judging from the shadow patterns of SPIRE, if the Great Gulf proposal is built the St. James Cathedral will surely be impacted by the shadow

I think neighbourhood context is not defined by one particular building ... and IMO I don't particularly agree/understand why SPIRE got approved where it is ... even after it is built it still appears to me as one that 'jumps out' of the St. James area landscape

judging from the shadow patterns of SPIRE, if the Great Gulf proposal is built the St. James Cathedral will surely be impacted by the shadow

I don't live in the area so I am curious as how SPIRE's or this proposed building's shadow pattern would impact St. James?

From the rendering, the point tower is on the S/E corner of Church/Colborne. Doesn't Church St. slope southbound towards Esplanade? I would have thought shadows would not reach St. James.

Btw, does anyone know the lots length along Church St?
Perhaps the proposed building's height should be limited to the 2x length?

I don't live in the area so I am curious as how SPIRE's or this proposed building's shadow pattern would impact St. James?

From the rendering, the point tower is on the S/E corner of Church/Colborne. Doesn't Church St. slope southbound towards Esplanade? I would have thought shadows would not reach St. James.

Btw, does anyone know the lots length along Church St?
Perhaps the proposed building's height should be limited to the 2x length?

Shadows from SP!RE do not affect St. James as it's northwest of the Cathedral. This tower would cast shadows towards the Cathedral during the afternoon, especially in the winter months

I think neighbourhood context is not defined by one particular building ... and IMO I don't particularly agree/understand why SPIRE got approved where it is ... even after it is built it still appears to me as one that 'jumps out' of the St. James area landscape.

And this doesn't make you somewhat lascivious walking down Church St.?

haha I had to look up what 'lascivious' meant before I could reply =D

I think SPIRE is a nice looking building (though not completely my cup of tea), however I just thought that was not the right place for it given the heritage environment of St. James town ... not to offend anyone, but just my thoughts

I dream that, by the time this one gets approved and actually hits the market to sell, prices will have cooled enough (and I'll be earning enough) that I can buy a nice unit here.

Apparently Great Gulf have told the City they are withdrawing their application and the site is again up for sale. Their initial plans were not well received by City planners or the neighbours and it would seem likely that the next time the developers - whoever they are - will try to come up with a smaller building - and the land will be sold to them for less.

That's a shame, I liked the design of this one. I would have liked to see the materials they were going to use for it too.

That's a shame, I liked the design of this one. I would have liked to see the materials they were going to use for it too.

The design might have been fine but it REALLY didn't fit into the neighbourhood. A great building is one which has great design, great materials and is actually designed to fit with and not overshadow what's already there.

I am sure the people facing South in Spire will be very happy.

I will agree, I was not crazy about this building. The only interest I had, was the location could not be better.

Apparently Great Gulf have told the City they are withdrawing their application and the site is again up for sale. Their initial plans were not well received by City planners or the neighbours and it would seem likely that the next time the developers - whoever they are - will try to come up with a smaller building - and the land will be sold to them for less.

That's good to hear. I just moved in across the street. I think this lot needs an 8-10s building to fit in with the existing streetscape.

I actually don't mind having the parking lot there for now. It's so narrow, and there are so many pedestrians walking along this stretch of Church that it's basically like a really wide sidewalk. It feels "lived" rather than desolate. The parking lot running along Colborne is another story.

Hi everyone.
does anyone know what is happening with this site? I walked by today and the application to change the by-law sign was not at the sight anymore.
is the First Gulf proposal done?

Back