Toronto Sherway Gardens Expansion | ?m | 2s | Cadillac Fairview | DIALOG

True Religion and Starbucks are also coming at some point in 2012. Not sure how long TR will last, given what's been happening to Sherway the last couple of years but we'll see.

True Religion and Starbucks are also coming at some point in 2012. Not sure how long TR will last, given what's been happening to Sherway the last couple of years but we'll see.

What's been happening at Sherway the last couple of years?

In general, Sherway Gardens is a time capsule of the late 80s/early 90s. Nothing has changed since I first walked through those doors in 1997.
True. But, late 80s/early 90s Sherway is but a pale shadow of the rich splendor of the original 1960s Sherway.

True. But, late 80s/early 90s Sherway is but a pale shadow of the rich splendor of the original 1960s Sherway.

Sherway was opened in 1971. And I think the Gourmet Fair tent was "worthy"...but the schlockification of the central court and the de-op-arting of the Simpsons court, among other things, isn't...

Agreed: I grew up a bit north of Sherway and always loved the Op Art Simpsons Court.

Regarding the relief expressed by mall management when the subway to Sherway plan was shelved years ago: sounds to me like like they were just putting a good spin on it. Any mall would be happy to pay for extra security if it meant a stream of new shoppers were flooding in. I'd still like to see the Bloor-Danforth line extended a few stations west, at least to Sherway, if not Dixie. The rivers that cross the GTA have always been pinch-points for traffic, and another access across the Etobicoke Creek would be helpful. Sherway would love to have shoppers arriving from the east or west on the subway, and I will be very surprised if this latest expansion does not have the mall reaching towards the Queensway/West Mall intersection where a new subway station would expect to be situated in the future.

Yorkdale resisted its namesake subway station and Bayview Village doesn't seem to want to integrate itself with Bayview station.

Subway stations and malls are a double edge sword - they bring foot traffic - but do they bring spenders?

I'm surprised nobody has unearthed this yet, but Sherway Gardens has a site geared to the expansion. I'm a bit disappointed by certain details; namely, my favourite food court in the GTA will be moved from the tents to a new build in the expansion. I'm glad they're carrying over with the large amount of natural light in the new one, but I'll be sad to lose the old one.

250,000 sqf. There's even a video out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mP2x60oR5j8&feature=player_embedded

http://www.future.sherwaygardens.ca

Last edited:
Getting rid of the iconic food court? What the hell? The new one doesn't look like a food court at all either. I like all the light though.

They really messed with the internal circulation patterns with that new "loop" - it has absolutely no bearing to the existing system.

AoD

Damned if you, damned if you don't. The current layout is not conducive to any logical expansion. I would love to see more information on it. I'm going to Sherway right now to get some shirts altered at Harry's and they're moving to the new wing so I'll ask my contact.

so sporting life is moving to the new wing and Nordstrom will take over sporting life area. They need to update the other side of the mall though otherwise it will look really weird if one side will be modern and sleek while the other side will still have the 70 and 80`s look.

Seriously, Cadillac fairview needs to go all out with this one but it feels like they dropped the ball. Oxford Properties continues to destroy Cadillac in their new designs, concepts, and securing first to market retailers. Unless Cadillac can get a Cheesecake factory or Grand Lux Cafe on board, i`m afraid Yorkdale still takes the title as the top destination mall in the Country.

Hey well at least Yorkdale and Sherway are getting expansions. Square One's last expansion was, what, 10 years ago? And it was downsized due to the recession at the time. And I'd think there are some pretty obvious additions they could do too. I don't know if Oxford has no interest in expanding Square One or whether it's just a matter of it being difficult to get approval from the City of Mississauga to make a large mall even larger...

And besides, given where Mississauga City Centre is going, it might well be more likely that Square One will be "dismantled" into an urbanistically-correct Don Mills-like array than expanded...

Back