Toronto Sherway Gardens Expansion | ?m | 2s | Cadillac Fairview | DIALOG

The Mall does want an extension of the subway, and that's the reason they are extending the mall to the northwest: the station would be at The West Mall and the Queensway, so they are preparing for a future direct connection.

Those who think that a subway extension might be detrimental to a mall have no real idea about who rides the subway, and seem ignorant of the huge economic boost that rapid transit can mean to a mall.

The Mall does want an extension of the subway, and that's the reason they are extending the mall to the northwest: the station would be at The West Mall and the Queensway, so they are preparing for a future direct connection.

Those who think that a subway extension might be detrimental to a mall have no real idea about who rides the subway, and seem ignorant of the huge economic boost that rapid transit can mean to a mall.

I don't suppose you can provide a quote or source on that?

I'd love to see a subway connection to Sherway.

If the subway is extended to Sherway, I hope it continues along Dundas to West Mall before dipping south to the Queensway. There is a lot of potential for redevelopment along Dundas west.

If the subway is extended to Sherway, I hope it continues along Dundas to West Mall before dipping south to the Queensway. There is a lot of potential for redevelopment along Dundas west.

It would be cheaper to follow the railroad or hydro corridor right-of-way. Any development or redevelopment would occur near the stations.

Some more info here, looks like it's just a new 2 storey wing on the NW side and a 3 level garage as well. New wing is ~35k sq meters so that's about 381,000 sq ft. (For comparison sake, Bayview Village is about 440,000 sq ft in size, so it seems like a pretty huge addition then. Not sure if that 35k sq meters includes the parking though. If it does then it's a pretty huge parking structure. Maybe the parking is a prelude to the full 2nd floor addition then .....

Site Plan Approval

Proposed two storey retail addition and three storey parking structure to the north-west side of existing shopping centre.
Application Number 11 285249 WET 05 SA Application Status Application Submitted
Planner Name
Phone Number Hobson-Garcia, Greg
(416) 394-2615 Status Date Oct 6, 2011
Community Meeting Date --- Date Received Sep 30, 2011
Proposed Non-Residential GFA (sq m) 35,472
Proposed Residential GFA (sq m) 0
Lot Size (sq m) 300,140
Proposed Residential Units 0
Proposed Storeys 2

Last edited:
If you don't mind me asking, where did you find this info?
I have been searching the City of Toronto's site with no luck.

Personally, I would love to see a huge renovation at Sherway. I enjoy shopping there but the mall is starting to look quite outdated!
I hope that this addition would include updating the existing portion of the mall.

Sherway has always had this sort of "classy" vibe that I can't properly describe... and also haven't seemed to find replicated in shopping centers elsewhere in the GTA. I really hope that this expansion fits well with the rest of the mall.

Sherway has always had this sort of "classy" vibe that I can't properly describe... and also haven't seemed to find replicated in shopping centers elsewhere in the GTA. I really hope that this expansion fits well with the rest of the mall.

I agree.. It probably also has to do with the fact that classical music is piped through the speakers instead of muzak.

Just got back from Sherway, there's already some sort of construction northwest of the Bay... Lots of equipment on site.

i hope yorkdale ups the ante once there reno is done. there are rumours that this is yorkdales phase 1 expansion and another will follow.

I strongly dislike Yorkdale. Its layout is horrible, piecemeal and the mall is always crowded. Sherway's figure eight is such a breeze to navigate and the mall is never as busy as I've seen other malls in the GTA become. Maybe because of the upmarket clientele and shops? There are very few 'budget' stores, if any, at Sherway right now. I just hope the expansion adds an H&M and a Zara, those are sorely lacking.

love yorkdale. its a mix of both the reg stores like the gap and elite stores like tiffanys. it is crowded but if you shop early weekends its perfect.

Back