Toronto Ryerson's Mattamy Athletics Centre + Loblaws at the Gardens | ?m | ?s | Ryerson University | Turner Fleischer

2 days ago, two new signs celebrating "75 Years of Maple Leaf Gardens" replaced the Loblaws signs that have been up since around June of 2005. I'm wondering if Loblaws will still go ahead with this project given the coming threat that grocers face from Walmart.

Didn't Loblaws figure out it was too expensive to convert MLG for their use?

Now that the only vestige of Loblaws (the signs) has been removed, I have a feeling we'll be seeing another use being proposed.

There was some speculation early last summer that Loblaws was pulling out of the site for several reasons, but that they were sitting on the real estate. I wrote Loblaws in June & they held the line - "this location is scheduled to open September 2007".

That area will be a very dense residencial node with RoCP I, II and III, Murano I, II, and III, Lumiere, the Met and others a few more blocks away. A major grocer makes business sense there. As long as they preserve the building and include a small "shrine" as they promised, we are getting a good deal, versus an abandoned or demolished building. Adaptive use is the ideal. MLG arena will never be used solely as a hockey facility again.

Kyle Rae sent this email to me on Oct. 4, 2006:

I have spoken again to people at Loblaws and they assure me that things are indeed proceeding and that there will be obvious work on the MLG site shortly. I know Loblaws s restructuring a little at the moment but I have heard this message from two of their VPs and from their director of real estate development.

"MLG arena will never be used solely as a hockey facility again."

I'm a bit surprised that some diehard hockey fans haven't proposed moving the Hall of Fame there. Room to expand, ice for all kinds of events, etc.

The Hall of Fame is currently at a more tourist friendly location, and I can only imagine the outcry in the ROC if the HOF was to move in a building owned by the Leafs.

I don't necessarily think it's a great idea, I'm just surprised no one has proposed it, being "obvious" and all.

I wonder if Eugene Melnyk is still interested in moving the St. Mike Majors back into the Gardens instead of moving them out to Mississauga.

Get your fill of the MLG game experience by watching Game 7 of the 1993 Western Conference Finals between the Leafs and the Kings on Google Videos. That happened way before I started to follow hockey. Couldn't believe that Toronto fans back then were noted for being loud (a decibel meter in the MLG read something like 110)... and now we talk about the ACC being quiet as a tomb even when full.

National Post
Published: Monday, November 13, 2006

Maple Leaf Gardens celebrated a bittersweet 75th anniversary yesterday. The famous arena at the corner of Carlton and Church streets is set to become a supermarket. Councilor Kyle Rae said last night he has learned that Loblaw Companies Ltd., which purchased the historic building in 2004, has set a target date for the grocery store's grand opening -- September, 2007. The Gardens opened on Nov. 12, 1931, with the first game played between the Toronto Maple Leafs and the Chicago Blackhawks.

Wylie

Couldn't believe that Toronto fans back then were noted for being loud (a decibel meter in the MLG read something like 110)... and now we talk about the ACC being quiet as a tomb even when full.
Leaf fans have always been known for being quiet - except in the playoffs. In fact, during the 80's it wasn't uncommon to be able to hear individual hecklers in the crowd at Maple Leaf Gardens as the Leafs got hammered again. (Does anyone remember Mandy? I wonder whatever happened to her.)
1993 was especially loud during the playoffs since the team hadn't won a playoff series since 1987 and missed the playoffs in 1992 and 1991. Now they had already eliminated the cup favourite Detroit and beaten St. Louis (both in 7 games) and if they could get past Gretzky and the Kings (which they would have done without the infamous missed high sticking call against Gretzky - I'm still bitter 13 years later) they would have a Cup showdown against the arch enemy Canadiens.
It was a great time to be a Leaf fan as Doug Gilmour seemed destined to lead us out of the darkness and all the way to the Cup. Alas, it was not to be. I'm getting a little teary eyed here. Anyways, my point is that Leaf fans haven't suddenly gotten quiet. Chicago fans on the other hand...

Full speed ahead for MLG

From The Sun

By LANCE HORNBY, TORONTO SUN

Dormant for seven years, Maple Leaf Gardens marks its 75th anniversary today with word that its long-awaited reincarnation is at hand.

Grocery giant Loblaws, which purchased the famous arena from Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment Ltd., in the spring of 2004, is at last finalizing plans for its super store at 60 Carlton St. An earlier idea to retain a 4,000-seat rink and turn the rest of the Gardens' property into a condo fell through.

Various calls to Loblaws the past few months regarding the delay in its development have not been returned. But Ward 27 councillor Kyle Rae, whose home overlooks the Gardens, has learned the project has a target date of September 2007.

"I'm led to believe the company has been spending time looking at new ways to attract shoppers," Rae said.

LCBO OUTLET

"I certainly want to see the Gardens used again and from what I understand, they hope to open the bricked-up windows and attract as many people as used to attend the events."

One of the project's features is to be a 12,000-square foot LCBO outlet running along the Church St. side.

The Gardens was built in an astounding six months in the midst of the Great Depression, with the Leafs in cramped conditions at their 9,000-seat Mutual St. Arena and in danger of being bought by out-of-town interests.

Team owner Conn Smythe just barely managed the $1.5-million financing, with some workers taking stock in the new building in lieu of pay.

It opened on Nov. 12, 1931, with a 2-1 loss to the Chicago Black Hawks.

It would be the home of the Leafs until Feb. 13, 1999, but also the site of all manner of events, including the first NBA game, rock concerts, conventions and rodeos.

At the corner of Mount-Royal Ave. and St. Urbain St. in Montreal, a Provigo (same grocery, different brand) was built a few years back in what had been Mont-Royal Arena, the Montreal Canadiens' first home. (The Mont-Royal Arena housed the Canadiens between 1920 and 1924, at which time renovations to the Forum, then home of the Montreal Maroons, were completed to accommodate the Canadiens' crowds.)

Not nearly as much history -- the Mont-Royal Arena was converted into a factory mid-century and was a fairly seedy plaza at the time it was gutted by fire and made way for the Provigo a few years ago -- but, still, a similar space and some similar history.

There is a little shrine to the Habs in the upper northeast corner of that Provigo, with pennants, figurines, etc. Not much else. Though not a grocery store, I guess it goes without saying that the conversion of the Forum into movie theatres, a cafe, Future Shop, etc. is more directly relevant to MLG. Still, thought the Mont-Royal Arena Provigo was an interesting connection, especially as it's the same company....

Back