Toronto Royal Ontario Museum | ?m | ?s | Daniel Libeskind

Why is this project taking so long? It never seems to progress whenever I see it in person or on pictures.

as you can tell its a very complicated project to build,unlike a condo tower which does 1 floor plus a week.

I'm sure a lot of the interior work is being done since parts of the crystal will be opening soon.

Regardless, the panels on the outside are taking quite a bit of time, but as was said, this is a very complex building so I'm not at all surprised.

Remember, priceless artifacts that are sensitive to all sorts of elements will be going here so rushing the work is the worst thing they could do.

It does seem to be more than a bit behind in schedule, though.
I understand there might be structural settling reasons to clad one half first, or is it manufacture shortages that are the reason?
Whatever the case, I'd love to see them hurry up. Winter's a-comin'. Plus, I'm just itching to go have a martini in the bar at the top when it opens, and delay on that seems intolerable.

Yo, dudes! Seriously, all this complaining, and no one even bothered to mention that the last picture shows the new WINDOWS!!! I hadn't realized they had started putting glass on the structure. At least there's progress.

The TSO inaugurates the Crystal with a concert there next March 3rd.

The official opening ceremony is in early June. It forms the kickoff for the big arts festival, though I doubt there will be much of anything installed in the Crystal by then.

It is worth restating now that Libeskind's Holocaust Museum in Berlin opened without any installations - just to allow the public to appreciate the building itself.

I would like that chance to see the Crystal's interior unadorned.

The Carlos Garaicoa exhibition is well worth a look. I loved the big, floating, illuminated fantasy city, the reconstructed vanished buildings, and the word-pulling toy train film/installation especially.

There's also a lecture about Cuba's deco and modernist architecture on December 1st.

The University-Spadina was really slow (and back-up of cars from signal problems at Lawrence West went all the way to Queen's Park) so I got off the stopped subway at Museum and took a walk. Here are some of the pics I got.

I've got to walk around here more often. I am impressed.

ROM1.jpg

ROM2.jpg

ROM3.jpg

And the Gardiner looks great.

Gardiner2.jpg

Surprised to see the AIDS memorial (and its messages) still up at Bloor and Queen's Park.

AIDS.jpg

Interior Shots

It would be great to see some interior shots.

Re: Interior Shots

i hate it, looks huge and bulky, gardiner look great though

Re: Interior Shots

Since you're a newbie I'll assume by Gardiner you mean the expressway.

RBC Foundation Glass Room

I had no idea that there was a room above the Rotunda at the ROM called the Glass Room that is being refurbishd by RBC that is being converted into an event space. Has anyone ever been up there or seen images?

Re: RBC Foundation Glass Room

I've been to several Currelly Society events there, most recently a talk by the author of the upcoming book on ROM architecture. Our annual lunch is next month. It's a smallish deco-ish space, with a high ceiling and dreadful acoustics - a bit like the whispering gallery in St. Paul's - where you can hear asides from people at other tables more distinctly than the person sitting next to you.

Back