Toronto River City Condos Phases 1 & 2 | ?m | 16s | Urban Capital | ZAS Architects

River City Condos, West Don Lands

we have threads for the general West Don Lands master plan, but here is the first article on phase 1, which apparently is being rolled out this fall....there will be 5 towers...there are some nifty renderings on the website...

from the National Post...

Making a splash

Lisa Van de Ven, National Post
Published: Thursday, August 27, 2009

Brett Gundlock / National Post

Bordering the waterfront of the Don River, the West Don Lands in east Toronto has had its share of uses: About 180 years ago it was a park, while it's also been dedicated to housing and industry. In recent years, though, it's just been old brownfield land, contaminated and lying fallow. It was hardly living up to its potential, or glamourizing the environs, which is why Waterfront Toronto - the entity in charge of revitalizing the waterfront all along the city's edge - made developing it a priority. Today, there are almost 6,000 new residences planned for the West Don Lands, an 80-acre site, including rental and condominium buildings, as well as parks, schools and other amenities.

The first phase, River City, is a five-tower condominium community by Urban Capital. The first building won't launch until the fall, but excitement over the project is palpable. Units at River City is expected to start at approximately 400 square feet and $179,900.

Buyers will get the chance to be part of history, explains David Wex, partner with Urban Capital: "The residential component of Waterfront is starting here," he says. "This is the first phase of Toronto's 25-year plan, so [buyers] are getting in on the ground floor - that's really big."

River City, West Don Lands

The Phase One 1,000-unit LEED gold development aims to be 100% carbon neutral; it will sit on a 3.8-acre property across from the $15-million Don River Park now under construction on the west side of the Don River. Part of Waterfront Toronto's redevelopment project, River City is now in preregistration, with occupancy planned for 2011. See rivercitytoronto.com

rivercitytoronto.com

rest of the article talks about other lakefront projects....

http://www.nationalpost.com/life/story.html?id=1936556

Condo Guide......

Has an ad regarding Rivercity and I have to say that love the look of the buildings but not sure how many phases there are to this project.

Last edited:
do you guys think they will focus more on building luxury condominiums here? or something more like Concord Cityplace (cheap and "mass-production")?

Mass production doesn't have to be cheap. And luxury doesn't necessarily mean quality.

I'd just like to say THANK god we're getting stuff from Saucier+Perrotte, especially condos by them. Are they doing a lot of buildings in West Don Lands?

I'd just like to say THANK god we're getting stuff from Saucier+Perrotte, especially condos by them. Are they doing a lot of buildings in West Don Lands?

It's great we're getting some work by them, but I hope they use different forms and designs (and architects) for the other buildings. The last thing we want is another cityplace. ;)

It's great we're getting some work by them, but I hope they use different forms and designs (and architects) for the other buildings. The last thing we want is another cityplace. ;)

I enthusiastically agree with this!

And it can't be stressed enough. I really hope for an intricate mix of different plots of land developed by different architects. Like IJburg in Amsterdam. We need something like this.

Mass production doesn't have to be cheap. And luxury doesn't necessarily mean quality.

i'm just trying to get a general idea of what the developments will be like before i jump in to make any purchases. Because the last thing i want is to have it turn out to be cityplace-like. I guess I have to wait for the completion of the first phase to be certain and possibly purchase in the later phases.

regardless, it's good to see developments going on in this area.

West Don Lands will be nothing like CityPlace. First off, like East Bayfront, all the different phases ("neighbourhoods") will be subject to a selection process where teams of builders, architects, engineers, etc. will make bids. Each phase will follow the lines of the prepared precinct and block plans, which have incorporated the future street and path networks into the existing and surrounding networks. WDL will actually be a mixed-use neighbourhood, not just condos on top of a couple restaurants and hair salons. Not to mention the incorporation of sustainable features such as LEED certified buildings, including the district energy centre, bike lanes, and incorporated public transit into the area.

I don't even want to think of WDL and CityPlace in the same thought.

West Don Lands will be nothing like CityPlace. First off, like East Bayfront, all the different phases ("neighbourhoods") will be subject to a selection process where teams of builders, architects, engineers, etc. will make bids. I don't even want to think of WDL and CityPlace in the same thought.

Lets hope so, but I wouldn't hold my breath.
As it stands now, these two derelict areas are ripe for The Cheapening.

I don't know how it will turn out but I think a portion of river city will be built by one builder? I looked at the docs for the east bay front area and it's divided into 3 builders. One builder for the Parkside (one tall building) and another builder for the bayside (a number of short buildings) and one for dockside (a few short buildings).

I would hate to imagine a bunch of corus quay type buildings for bay side :eek:

19938137.jpg

Last edited:
Well, luckily we have the St. Lawrence neighbourhood (Old Town) right here in our own city to use as a model, which so far it seems we have to an extent.

I think the East Bayfront and WDL could turn out really great-- it's going to take patience for us UTers but I think that's the best way. There will always be something for us to follow.

What a Crock of Shit....:rolleyes::confused::rolleyes:

Slow condo sales may delay Queens Quay facelift

CITY HALL BUREAU CHIEF

A major makeover of Queens Quay Boulevard, an iconic project crucial to Toronto's waterfront renewal, may be slowed by the slump in the condo market.

Financing of the $192-million project depends, in part, on revenue from private-sector developments in proposed new waterfront neighbourhoods to supplement public investments by the city, the province and the federal government.

Despite uncertainty over how to pay for the overall project, the board of Waterfront Toronto yesterday agreed to pay for millions of dollars in design work over the next year, assuming expected environmental assessment approvals by the city and the province in the next few months.

"The [condo] market created a lot of uncertainty for us, particularly earlier this year," said Mark Wilson, chairman of the three-government agency set up to oversee waterfront renewal. "So the timing and pacing became a little less certain."

So far, Waterfront Toronto has negotiated a deal with one private-sector condo developer for a project in the West Don Lands. A phase-one sales office, delayed by the economic downturn, now is expected to open this fall.

The agency also has issued requests for proposals from private developers - likely to be named this fall - on two parcels of land in the new East Bayfront neighbourhood on the north side of Queens Quay.

Development revenues would help pay for the transformation of Queens Quay between Spadina and Parliament, with contributions from the three governments as well.

Despite the financial uncertainties, Mr. Wilson said the board understands the need to show tangible results.

"The central waterfront is what Torontonians view as their waterfront," he said. "They want to see progress there." That's why the board agreed to pay for design work to keep up momentum on a project that, on paper, would roll out over the next five years.

Mayor and waterfront board member David Miller said the goal is to turn Queens Quay into a "place for people, not a place that cars go through."

Amid signs of a rebound in the condo market, he hopes the project will pick up steam.

Its completion, he said, "is really one of timing of revenues ... the revenues will come in eventually but slower than originally predicted."

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...ay-delay-queens-quay-facelift/article1281686/

Back