Toronto Rise Condos | 76.5m | 23s | Reserve Properties | Graziani + Corazza

I wouldn't mind if all the condos on this intersection weren't so ugly.

Can't they put a little effort into the design, and not make it look like a modern McMasion blown up to 25 stories.
Why do Toronto developers have to set the bar for architecture and design SO LOW.

Let's just hope the building that will replace the gas station is passable. I'm not optimistic.

Last edited by a moderator:
Woah! Are they really demolishing that gas station?! Is something going to replace it? I dearly hope so. Terribly-placed gas stations seem to be invincible usually.

^ Surface parking lot in the interim, and likely an athletics facility down the road. It isn't going to be developed as a condo.

I dont see why everyone is so down on this corner. There is vibrancy, streetlife and i quite like the architecture of the NW corner. a picture doesnt capture the place at all. come by on a sunny day and the starbucks is packed, the menchies is packed with peope on outdoor patios. Across the street the food shops (which lets all remember are only ever temporary and can change any minute) are regularly patroned. loblaws down the street generates alot of foot traffic. Rise will add to that and add to the street aswell.

I dont see why everyone is so down on this corner. There is vibrancy, streetlife and i quite like the architecture of the NW corner. a picture doesnt capture the place at all. come by on a sunny day and the starbucks is packed, the menchies is packed with peope on outdoor patios. Across the street the food shops (which lets all remember are only ever temporary and can change any minute) are regularly patroned. loblaws down the street generates alot of foot traffic. Rise will add to that and add to the street aswell.

Well I agree with your first point somewhat. St.Clair and Bathurst is a pretty busy corner, but not really a vibrant and beautiful one, like the intersection of Bathurst and Bloor. The traffic is busy and loud, the retail is not very interesting, and the condos built and proposed so far have not added any architectural quality to the area. 5:30 looks like cheap McMansions blown up to 25 stories. Rise is better, but still not very beautiful or interesting.

They should have a design that like Absolute World in Mississauga, brings pride to those who live around it. I'm not saying that every condo should have architecture as vibrant as Absolute, but these developers really should try a little harder, and put aesthetics, public program, and sense of place over pure profit.

This was just approved for 21s at the OMB. John Sewell came out to oppose but was thoroughly crushed when he and his planner, Janet Lee, proposed that: "...no building over 30m should be approved for this site."

here's the OMB decision btw
http://www.omb.gov.on.ca/e-decisions/pl120931-May-22-2013.pdf

Just to clarify City staff had recommended refusal but Council agreed to a settlement. Ms. Lee is a City staff member appearing under summons, not retained by John Sewell. The former mayor had his own planner but the Board didn't seem to like that planner's evidence. Anyhow, it's an interesting read about what the OP says (or doesn't say) about the transition between Avenues and Neighbourhoods.

here's the staff report and decision by the city
http://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2012/te/bgrd/backgroundfile-51027.pdf
http://app.toronto.ca/tmmis/viewAgendaItemHistory.do?item=2012.TE20.19

The buildings on the SE corner of Bathurst and St. Clair are demolished:

IMG_20141019_174106.jpg

IMG_20141019_174232.jpg

IMG_20141019_174701.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20141019_174106.jpg
    IMG_20141019_174106.jpg
    946.3 KB · Views: 1,144
  • IMG_20141019_174232.jpg