438     0 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 1.1K     1 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 9.4K     2 

Toronto Ridiculous NIMBYism thread

Back to Charity the Cow:

Controversial Markham cow statue still standing

Da Silva says despite seeing the cow every day for nearly a year, he still hasn’t warmed up to Charity’s presence.
“Most people will get used to any kind of torture over time,” he said. “It’s just driving me crazy.”

Forget waterboarding, clearly those folks at Guant should have bought this sculpture instead. Talk, or I will moo.

AoD

Last edited:
THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!

I love how a lot of the objections wrap itself around concerns over children getting hit by cars, presumably a non-problem if it is located elsewhere?

From one of the letters:

This is totally overreaching through Greed.

Nothing like emphasis through random capitalizations. Who knew city websites could provide such non-anonymous fun reads!!

AoD

I clicked on a random letter of opposition and....traffic congestion. Ok, next. I'm just dismissing your concerns out of hand, lady.
Also, kids having to walk ("1.5-3 blocks") to a park. That to me seems like cruel and unusual punishment. Walk. 3 blocks. The horror.

I love my job....I don't have to read desks-full of letters like this all day.

We should put all the daycares out in the bush north of Barrie to prevent associated traffic congestion.
While we're at it, I'd like to see all seniors' residences be put there as well to prevent congestion in the supermarkets.
While we're at it, I'd like to see only people whose surnames start with a vowel be allowed out of the house on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays...to ease congestion.
While we're at it, I reckon we should ban anyone under the age of 18 or over the age of 60 from leaving their homes on weekends. To ease congestion.
While we're at it, I think we should send all Nimby bastards to Siberia......to allow for progress.

To be fair to the Nimbys, the area is pretty tight and disjointed. Very narrow streets, very limited on-street parking, tiny sidewalks with no boulevard. Hang around any other school or daycare and what do you see at peak times? Answer: assholes. 'Oh I'll just park here in the middle of the street...it's okay I'll be quick. Sure I *could* park a block away and walk for 60sec, but I'd rather spend 5mins endangering others and ruining traffic'. Now try that in an area where there's isn't someone else's driveway to park in front of (or in), or a sidewalk to straddle. Obviously this is a fine idea, but with 5m road widths things aren't foolproof.

There was a daycare in our condo. Street parking was impossible. It worked. Granted, it was smaller than this one.

There was a daycare in our condo. Street parking was impossible. It worked. Granted, it was smaller than this one.

Aren't condo daycares usually used by the people that live there hence no car required for drop-off? Just an elevator ride down. Or ones from close by/walking distance such as in the financial district of Toronto? I know some condo owners who talked about the benefit of that.

But in a place like Cabbagetown, I would reckon most would drop off their kids by walking instead of car since it's not close to any major employment area where people drive with their kids from a further area (such as the Kid's and Company at Church n Bloor where I see a decent amount of cars picking up their little ones).

Back