News   Mar 28, 2024
 141     0 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.7K     1 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.2K     2 

Toronto Ridiculous NIMBYism thread

I think we are all being too critical. I don't think they are opposed to Bike Share, but they simply want the Bike Share facilities and bikes at this location to be compatible with the surrounding context.

cabbage.jpg

Attachments

• cabbage.jpg
    cabbage.jpg
    140.8 KB · Views: 590
Last edited:
I think we are all being too critical. I don't think they are opposed to Bike Share, but they simply wants the Bike Share facilities and bikes at this location to be compatible with the surrounding context.

View attachment 97224

It's too tall. It will cast a shadow on the park where our kids play. We don't support highrise bicycles.

Let's see, they are actually making this particular road narrower, lowering the speed limit, and adding sidewalks, yet (about two) residents worry that the new work will increase speeding, reduce safety, and not pay adequate homage to the road's heritage as a native trail....

http://www.insidetoronto.com/news-s...concerned-redesign-project-will-create-havoc/

They are right to be concerned about speeding, but LOL:
“This was a major route used for many First Nations groups … it eventually became a route for the French, and then the British,” she said. “The design is urbanizing an 8,000-year-old trail, which is something of historical value.”

https://www.thestar.com/news/city_h...eep-fee-hikes-under-city-staff-proposals.html

Some choice quotes from this article are:

"Toronto has a history of “that puritan, no-fun culture, unfortunately,” and these proposed fee hikes continue in that tradition, says Richard Pope, owner of Northwood on Bloor St. W., near Christie St. His $1,400-a-year patio permit fee would jump to about $14,000 annually under the proposal."

"He also suggested a hidden agenda is at play, and that the city would like to “kill” all patios, since 'NIMBY complaints about noise … are basically over-represented in councillors’ offices.'"

But that meant cutting lanes for the car *ducks*

AoD

Move the "setbacks" away from the road.

In land use, a setback is the distance which a building or other structure is set back from a street or road, a river or other stream, a shore or flood plain, or any other place which is deemed to need protection.

Even creating an overhang.

IMG_1858.jpg

Back