Toronto The Residences of 488 University Avenue | 206.95m | 55s | Amexon | Core Architects

How do you build 37 floors above and excavate 2 underground floors below the existing parking garage without demolishing the existing 18 story office building on site. This will be a fascinating display of modern engineering.

I always thought University had the potential to be a grand avenue, but all the buildings that line it look truncated. This will change that. It's also another area of the city that's very boring and could benefit from the infusion of new residents.

It's also another area of the city that's very boring and could benefit from the infusion of new residents.

Considering both sides of the streets are lined with hospitals, it's always going to be a "boring" part of town

Lumping a condo on the corner and adding residents isn't going to change whats happening in the immediate vicinity

This will change that. It's also another area of the city that's very boring and could benefit from the infusion of new residents.

One of the problems around this area (in fact all over downtown) is the traffic. Adding more residents and offices is a good idea but we must do something about traffic and stop using main streets for parking. If we have density we can no longer all expect to drive in every day and park. Transit priority anyone?

Considering both sides of the streets are lined with hospitals, it's always going to be a "boring" part of town

Lumping a condo on the corner and adding residents isn't going to change whats happening in the immediate vicinity

Not necessariliy. There is no reason the area around Dundas can't be a bit more vibrant.
There is a lot that can be done. For example to widen the center green space (cut one lane for cars of course) and provide some foodstand and chairs. It has a great view both direction and many people work there.

Change happens. I see it in my current city in Texas. The medical district was very institutionalized (excuse the pun). There was not much activity until about the the early 2000s new residences started to be built. They were quickly snapped up by doctors, nurses and other medical professionals. Now the medical district has become something more as dozens of restaurants and bars have opened up now that it has a resident population with high disposable incomes. It's also one of three areas in the city that's walkable, so it has been attracting lots of residents seeking that kind of lifestyle since there are so few examples here in the deep south.

but we must do something about traffic and stop using main streets for parking. If we have density we can no longer all expect to drive in every day and park. Transit priority anyone?

Allowing parking on main streets such as Queen and Dundas W is bizzar. It unnecessarily adds congestion and chaos. I guess the city wants the revenue??

One of the problems around this area (in fact all over downtown) is the traffic. Adding more residents and offices is a good idea but we must do something about traffic and stop using main streets for parking. If we have density we can no longer all expect to drive in every day and park. Transit priority anyone?

I would be more concerned if a city DID NOT have a traffic problem. Vibrant cities are always going to have traffic. What's needed is more transit upgrades and Toronto's growing population is forcing transit planners and politicians to consider the investment. There is a lot of talk about the Downtown Relief Line as of late. That was considered a fantasy idea not too long ago, but I strongly believe the growing downtown population has forced the issue to become a priority.

Allowing parking on main streets such as Queen and Dundas W is bizzar. It unnecessarily adds congestion and chaos. I guess the city wants the revenue??

And I think the retailers like the customers. Street retail needs people walking past but they do like that some people can park in front and dive in.

Back