Toronto The Residences of 488 University Avenue | 206.95m | 55s | Amexon | Core Architects

......its street level business signage being entirely Chinese (Mandarin or Cantonese I couldn't say)....

It is all the same written language (as on signage) - only the spoken language which has multiple dialects, Mandarin, Cantonese or others...

Last edited:
Thanks for the info; so to recap you're saying this building wasn't "Chinese themed"? It's sorta generic like a McDonald's Big Mac? All good either way...

Last edited:
Anyone know why they seem to be putting up scaffolding on the outside perimeter of the building?

Also, which level is the transfer slab being built? On top of the new steel frame, or on top of the existing building (ie. the 17th floor)? Is it already done? I agree that it does appear to have stalled for some time.

Anyone know why they seem to be putting up scaffolding on the outside perimeter of the building?

Also, which level is the transfer slab being built? On top of the new steel frame, or on top of the existing building (ie. the 17th floor)? Is it already done? I agree that it does appear to have stalled for some time.
The transfer slab is being built on top of the (new) metal framework - if I understand right the weight of the new building will then be supported by the new metal exo-skeleton that now surrounds the old building.

Taken yesterday:
DSC_0025.jpg

DSC_0027.jpg

DSC_0028.jpg

DSC_0030.jpg

DSC_0031.jpg

DSC_0033.jpg

DSC_0034.jpg

DSC_0035.jpg

Attachments

• DSC_0025.jpg
    DSC_0025.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 375
  • DSC_0033.jpg
    DSC_0033.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 336
  • DSC_0031.jpg
    DSC_0031.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 354
  • DSC_0027.jpg
    DSC_0027.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 380
  • DSC_0034.jpg
    DSC_0034.jpg
    986.4 KB · Views: 329
  • DSC_0035.jpg
    DSC_0035.jpg
    899.2 KB · Views: 315
  • DSC_0030.jpg
    DSC_0030.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 343
  • DSC_0028.jpg
    DSC_0028.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 345
There must have been some major engineering work going on as this has shown very little visible movement for a few months. I'm sure the addition of that number of floors on an existing building is a lot of additional work.

There must have been some major engineering work going on as this has shown very little visible movement for a few months. I'm sure the addition of that number of floors on an existing building is a lot of additional work.

Look at that mess of scaffolding. Even if normal for the project would take lots of time to set up between floors.

I hope the engineering team really really looked into things. Adding a few million pounds on top of an existing structure is sketchy.

Again - the new addition isn't placing any new loads on the existing structure. The structures are independent of each other.

Look at that mess of scaffolding. Even if normal for the project would take lots of time to set up between floors.

I hope the engineering team really really looked into things. Adding a few million pounds on top of an existing structure is sketchy.

Nah, they probably didn't do any calculations or double checks or use any kind of modelling programs, wind tunnels, or anything of the like. Why would the engineers want to be absolutely 100% positive that this approach to constructing a building would work? After all they are only just liable for the entire thing if it doesn't work.... Probably just laid it out with legos, gave it a thumbs up and went on their way.

Soudak and Associates are one of the top structural engineering firms in Canada, they have designed the Marilyn Monroe buildings in Mississauga and have designed an exoskeleton with steel structure built by walters group, they are experienced professionals with an excellent reputation
on another note, it appears that the subway connection work is proceeding well

Back