Toronto The Residences of 488 University Avenue | 206.95m | 55s | Amexon | Core Architects

It'll stand out quite prominently from this vantage, when complete. From Friday:

image.jpeg

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 326
Don't be surprised....many Torontonians love to copy Americans in several stupid ways

This has nothing to do with America.
The word itself is Italian, and not surprisingly, Italian cities have far more graffiti than American ones.

Whoever graffitied that Chinese-themed building (I'm thinking more than one) should be found and prosecuted; just one person's opinion...

It is not a "Chinese-themed" building. It is just an ugly building. The green overhang doesn't make a Chinese theme. This whole damn thing should be rebuilt. Hideous.

They have been installing scaffolding to the roof level on the west side for the past couple of weeks.

Hopefully upwards soon!

Seems to be moving quite slowly. I'm sure there is a reasonable excuse. We are just use to poured forms going upwards in a timed fashion.

Seems to be moving quite slowly. I'm sure there is a reasonable excuse. We are just use to poured forms going upwards in a timed fashion.
There was a discussion of this a few months ago. Apparently, IIRC, they are currently building a structural steel 'foundation' on top of the older office building for the residential floors and once this is finished it will be poured concrete.

Do we know if there was much work done to the core of the building? Or is the steel structure on the roof spreading the weight out to the outer steel trusses like one massive transfer slab?

I posted this back before Christmas

The structural steel framing that's shown there is for the 19th floor which is the upper amenity level with the swimming pool.

The 20th floor will be a poured in place concrete structural slab which will act as a transfer structure. The 20th floor slab will have almost 3m deep perimeter transfer beams so that the weight of the new addition will be transferred to the structural steel exoskeleton that extend down to the bedrock so that there won't be any stress on the existing structure.

They've been stuck at this level for about 5 months. What issues besides engineering complexity could be holding this thing back? Obviously finishing the office portion was a priority, but the residential portion seems curiously stalled.

They've been stuck at this level for about 5 months. What issues besides engineering complexity could be holding this thing back? Obviously finishing the office portion was a priority, but the residential portion seems curiously stalled.

The atrium progressing and the TTC having started construction on the elevator indicates to me that they are probably more focused on cleaning up the entrance to the building (if you walk passed the site you can see there is a maze of scaffolding that people going to the commercial building have to walk through everyday) and working on the connection to the TTC. My guess would be that they are trying to lessen the construction zone feel for the commercial building and get their lives back to normal as soon as possible.

This has nothing to do with America.
The word itself is Italian, and not surprisingly, Italian cities have far more graffiti than American ones.

It is not a "Chinese-themed" building. It is just an ugly building. The green overhang doesn't make a Chinese theme. This whole damn thing should be rebuilt. Hideous.
I don't want to derail this thread but it's absolutely a "Chinese themed building" that was pictured a few pages back covered in graffiti! Is this some political correctness thing? It's a building with curved tile roof elements strikingly similar to what you see at places like the Forbidden City and on countless other Chinese built structures... It's jade green to boot... Not to mention its faux-red decorative vertical ribbons, and its street level business signage being entirely Chinese (Mandarin or Cantonese I couldn't say)... It's not surprisingly located on Spadina smack dab in the middle of Chinatown...

Last edited:
I don't want to derail this thread but it's absolutely a "Chinese themed building" that was pictured a few pages back covered in graffiti! Is this some political correctness thing? It's a building with curved tile roof elements strikingly similar to what you see at places like the Forbidden City and on countless other Chinese built structures... It's jade green to boot... Not to mention its faux-red decorative vertical ribbons, and its street level business signage being entirely Chinese (Mandarin or Cantonese I couldn't say)... It's not surprisingly located on Spadina smack dab in the middle of Chinatown...
Why are you telling us this?

Back