Toronto Residences at The Ritz-Carlton, Toronto | 207.86m | 53s | Graywood | Kohn Pedersen Fox

There is a big Two page spread on the Ritz in the Globe Real Estate Section:

Some interesting stuff about the windows:

"Everything about the The Residences is world cloass, including its exterior. The entire building will be wrapped in a striking, continuous envelope of glass, with no exposed concrete........ This is the top window system available when it come to quality. The curtain wall offers higher thermal performance..... Inside, these fully sealed, floor-to-ceiling, double glazed, argon-filled, Low-E coated glass panes will have aluminum millions every five feet (which is larger than usual). The aluminum frame has a thermal break in it, which stops the metal from getting cold on the inside, the glass is installed in segments that are five feet wide by 12 to 13 feet high"

300,000 square foot facase cladding includes:
5,500 glazed, unitized curtain wall panels
5,500 vision glass units
Over 1,000,000 pounds if aluminum.

Floor to ceiling windows are all the rage right now, but it's not very practical in this climate. The Ritz sure has changed that!

Doesn't sound that special. If they really wanted to make it look really luxurious, they wouldn't use mullions at all. I think it would look much better if the glass was seamless.

Pfft. There's nothing special about that curtainwall. What they're describing is just standard commercial curtainwall. What is unusual is that they're using commercial curtainwall on a residential project, but given the price point that's not at all surprising.

And to be completely honest, at that price point commercial curtainwall is the last thing I'd want in my living room. It just looks so damn institutional. I'd at least want those aluminium mullions capped in a wood veneer or something of the sort.

How about if you lived in a loft-converted 50s curtain-wall office building?

Well, if it was a loft-converted 50s curtain-wall office building with plain grey aluminium mullions every 5' I wouldn't live in it.

sorry slightly off-topic, but close to the site, and not big enough news to start its own thread, but..

fencing has gone around the festival tower site today (friday) and the parking lot seems to be closed!

Also in unrelated but sort-of-neighbourhood news, workers were drilling (for soil samples?) in the corner of the Glas site at 24 Charlotte St. yesterday. The parking lot is still open, but this might indicate imminent construction, especially since they had announced it for this month.

And the slow death-by-strangulation of the club district continues. Love it.

Fantastic news on TIFF. That is probably the project I am most excited about right now, along with 4 Seasons.

Also, I was poking around the Ritz-Carlton corporate Web site recently, and noticed that the only property listed in Canada was the pending Toronto hotel. There was no mention whatever of the (quite famous, as I recall) Montreal location, which has its own website without any of the same branding. Does anyone know why this is? Is the Montreal Ritz independent or something?

"And the slow death-by-strangulation of the club district continues. Love it."

Come now Fiendish, let the people have their fun.

Back