Toronto Residences at The Ritz-Carlton, Toronto | 207.86m | 53s | Graywood | Kohn Pedersen Fox

tudar:

the lobby and ballroom podium faces north, the more heavily limestoned facade will face south

SNF:

ridiculous is right, the unit is barely livable and bursting with egregious flaws.

first off the kids' bedrooms' bathrooms have no windows, but their closets do. crazy! what kid doesn't dream of showering nude with a 52 storey full-height view of the city beside them? i know i did, and i would never deprive my kids of my dream, so those two rooms would have to be reversed.

secondly, what, no fireplaces in their bedrooms either? there are only four others in the unit (and it looks like an optional fifth in the family room) and they aren't close to the kids bedrooms, so what are the kids going to do for warmth in the winter time? huddle under their vicuna bedspreads? what kind of monsters are these architects?

thirdly; only one servants quarter? i suppose the room is big enough for a chintzy double bed (two pillows, but certainly not as wide as the other beds indicated on the plan) but that will mean that my butler and my chauffer will not have to mind spooning every night. i suppose when they're not polishing knobs and fluffing my furnishings, the two of them could be sweating away in the workout room, defining their physiques, anything so that they might fit into that tiny little bed together. Oh the hardships we'd endure again and again!

fourth; the dining room looks tight with twelve. surely i don't have to rent out the ballroom downstairs every time the G8's over for dinner. oh it's a vicious life at the Ritz.

i tire of this

It's common in high end buildings to buy separate, small units on low floors for live in help...

Well naturally we do, and that's for the cook and the maids. I wouldn't dare allow the desires of those libidinous creatures to roam freely about the penthouse looking for Rabelaisian goings-on whilst Trey and Fritz are trying to get their beauty sleep.

What bothered me most about the penthouse is that the master bedroom opens directly onto the giant communal balcony. It seems a little indiscreet, since everyone has access to that patio. Last thing you want is to have forgetten to pull the bedroom curtains when the OPEC crowd is over, especially if you're halfway through a load of laundry or something.

I think a small ante-patio would be entirely fitting... a buffer between the boudoir and the masses.

Never seen these shots of the model before... from Page & Steele.

ritz.jpg

"only one servants quarter?"

Several months ago when the penthouse floorplan first appeared, I suggested that the three non-master bedrooms could in fact be occupied by four servants; the cook, the maid, the butler, and the chauffeur...as long as the chauffer seduces the maid, of course. Substitute bodyguard for butler if you're so inclined - this may also help cut down on snooping and 'Cotton Mary'-ish meddling.

3D that model looks great. Can I grab the image to ensure it stays live in the thread?

The model is very impressive. I would recommend checking out the sales centre before it disappears - the model is rather large and gives a great idea of the whole tower rather then the selective angles of renderings.

The model suite is also interesting in that the exterior wall that is the window reflects the slanted angle of the tower. For any unit holders facing south it is a rather unique feature.

Thanks for the model, 3D. A new perspective on this project.

I was considering trying my hand at Photoshopping it into a skyline pic, but it seems that we still haven't seen a view of the south face of the tower.

3D that model looks great. Can I grab the image to ensure it stays live in the thread?

Of course you can... given it was grabbed in the first place.

I was considering trying my hand at Photoshopping it into a skyline pic, but it seems that we still haven't seen a view of the south face of the tower.

I'm sure this has been discussed but I've missed it.... from the very beginning I thought this building was screaming out to be flipped horizontally to face the lake (podium would remain facing north). Isn't that what every big hotel/corp would do?

That's beautiful.

I'm surprised there's no patio on top of the lobby / podium jobby there.

Sir Novelty - I seem to recall them talking a lot about fitting into their environment here, contributing to the streetscape and the neighbourhood. I can't quite picture what's opposite the south side of their lot. Would flipping it give them good frontage onto a street? Would future development south of the Ritz jeopardize any views from the public lobbies anyway?

Also, still haven't seen any renders of the south-facing limestone facade. Has anybody seen one?

On the south side of the street is the Metro Toronto Convention Centre-not the worst direction to face, but i believe it much more appropriate for it to face north- where there is a fairly nice park (which needs some attention btw.) and the Roy Thompson Hall.

p5

tudararms: You ask, and Google Maps provides. (Today, I noticed that, next to 'Satellite' and 'Hybrid,' Google has enabled their new 'Commentary' option.)

ritzmap.jpg

Back