News   Apr 25, 2024
 164     0 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 1.1K     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 1.6K     1 

Toronto Rental Cost (& AirBnB) Issues

The report said there are some who do not want to live in mid rises on the Avenues. Ok. so presently lets say they are living in a Single detached. They do not want to live in mid rises, single family detach is out it appears so what is left? If they live in a bungalow you cannot beat that as you age so what the problem? If they are living in a 2 storey, well, one room can be converted to a bedroom and usually there is a powder room so some construction to put in a full bathroom. How does putting in townhouses give seniors options? Townhouses still have 2 levels. If they don't you are talking about a bungalow again and stacked townhouses are not for seniors nor families.

What type of housing are people asking for to completely do away with single detached houses? Building 3 story buildings which you can do on major streets or corner lots. How do you enforce only seniors live there?

Interesting note on the future of the old suburbs- potential lies in incremental redevelopment of low-rise developments:

Ontario’s Greenbelt architect launches defence of anti-sprawl policies

But Mr. Doyle says that excluding Toronto, as of 2006, there were already 800,000 ground-related housing units planned to accommodate growth projected to 2031 in the Greater Golden Horseshoe on greenfield sites, he said.

About 510,000 of them remain unbuilt. If all are eventually built, they could accommodate 85 per cent of the region’s 2.9 million in projected population growth, excluding Toronto, all on their own, Mr. Doyle says.

By 2031, he says, despite the Growth Plan, the overall composition of the region’s housing stock (including Toronto) will barely shift: Apartments will go from 34 per cent to 35 per cent, while single-family homes will decrease from 51 per cent to 48 per cent of all housing.

On top of all of those ground-related units already in the pipeline, a demographic bulge is coming that Mr. Doyle says will flood the market with the large, suburban single-family homes now occupied by baby boomers.

In the Greater Golden Horseshoe – which stretches from Niagara Falls to Oshawa – there were about 700,000 owners of ground-related homes 55 years or older in 2006, according to Statistics Canada. The youngest of this group will have turned 90 by 2041, meaning virtually all of those homes will have been put on the market by then, Mr. Doyle says.

In his paper, Mr. Doyle also cites research from across Canada and the U.S. concluding that a more compact urban form is 30-per-cent to 50-per-cent cheaper to maintain, compared to low-density development. A 2009 Calgary study concluded that developing the city 25-per-cent more densely would save 33 per cent ($11.2-billion) in infrastructure costs over 25 years, he writes.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...ence-of-anti-sprawl-policies/article34965671/

Note on an unexplored aspect of rising rents within the city- the commercial realm:

Rising rent is starving Toronto’s restaurateurs

Starving Artist is no longer around around to enjoy a return on its investment in the neighbourhood, though. In January, with the landlord asking for a 40-per-cent rent increase while reducing 29 per cent of the restaurant’s floor space (a planned renovation was going to eat into the dining room and eliminate the patio), the Jacksons decided to close. In February, another brunch spot, Holy Oak, also closed due to a rent increase.
When Ms. Conduit’s popular Riverside bar opened in 2010, she was paying $1,600 a month. It closed three years later, when the landlord refused to accept anything less than $4,100.
Restaurateurs additionally have to worry about property assessments from the city, Mr. Murphy says, which can raise property taxes, a cost the owner will likely offload to the tenant.
“Thanks to Vogue magazine, Queen West was voted second-coolest street in the world,” Fidel Gastro’s owner Matt Basile says. “My rent has gone from $7,000 to just over $11,000 in four years. Eventually, it will price us out.”
Many restaurants dread renewing their leases, knowing they may have to pay for their success. When Ed Ho opened Globe Earth in Rosedale in 2009, the tony neighbourhood welcomed him. He liked the location and its wood-burning oven. But as the end of his five-year lease approached, the landlord wanted to jump the rent from $33 to $61 a square foot (TMI included). In the 10 years prior to Mr. Ho taking over the space, there were nine different tenants.
At 4,700 square feet, Mr. Ho was paying about $13,000 a month. And the landlord wanted close to $24,000.
https://www.theglobeandmail.com/new...rving-torontos-restaurateurs/article35061520/

The end, of course- is the dreaded street filled with nothing but chain restaurants and drug stores. What would be the best way to resolve this issue?

An article from the Guardian discusses ways of reducing the number of chain stores that appear- though it doesn't address rising rents.

https://www.theguardian.com/cities/...ndents-should-cities-ban-chain-stores-toronto

Interesting finding- perhaps it's time for a campaign to remove the stigma of multi-generational housing, townhouses, renting etc., alongside efforts to rework the way suburbs work- loosening renting and development restrictions in suburban zones (i.e. allowing the subdivision of existing residential structures into apartments more easily, making it easier to develop missing middle infill in existing residential areas).

Edit: Jennifer Keesmaat would seem to agree:

@jen_keesmaat said:
2.2 million empty bedrooms amid a housing crisis. Quickest fix? Permitting multi-tenants in existing housing stock. #affordability17

https://twitter.com/jen_keesmaat/status/867064009392041987

Obsession with home ownership driving Toronto affordability crisis, report finds
The Toronto area will need up to $150 billion in new home construction in the coming decade and most of that should be rental units, says a report from the Canadian Centre for Economic Analysis.

The Toronto region’s shockingly high house prices haven’t stopped the city from achieving one of the highest home ownership rates in the developed world, up 23 per cent over the past 35 years.

Toronto’s ownership rate, at 68 per cent, is behind only Oslo, Norway (69 per cent), and Calgary (74 per cent) among 38 western cities.

It suggests the Toronto area will need up to $150 billion in new home construction in the coming decade and most of that should be rental units to make housing more affordable.

The report by the Canadian Centre for Economic Analysis, a research firm, paints a picture of two cities in one. It shows that half of Toronto-area residents are overhoused, with 2.2 million empty bedrooms. (There are 400,000 homes in Ontario that have three or more empty bedrooms, according to the report.)

But it would take only about 350,000 bedrooms to appropriately house the 20 per cent of Toronto residents, most of them families, who are shelter-poor.
House prices are half the problem. But our obsession with home ownership is a big contributor, too, he said.

Toronto has restricted vast swaths of the city to single-family detached homes. That has led to a shortage of appropriate housing.

Smaller households are the most overhoused, as they are in neighbourhoods where the population is shrinking and aging. Meanwhile, larger families — with five or more people — are most likely to be underhoused in high-density apartments without enough bedrooms.

There’s also a shortage of ground-level homes known as the “missing middle” — townhomes, row houses, duplexes and small apartments — that would appeal to families.
Data shows that rental housing acts as oil in the engine of housing markets, Smetanin said. It also illustrates the stigma attached to renting.

“If you reduce oil in an engine, you get heat and the heat starts to transpire as high housing prices, difficulty in moving and uncertainty. While your engine’s getting hotter, you’re not getting any faster or going somewhere quicker,” he said.
Most underhousing occurs in rentals.

“When you look at the data and the demographics of rental, it almost looks like that’s where we’ve parked all our luggage as a society — if you don’t own your own home, you’re a loser,” he said.
Rather than band-aids such as Ontario’s recently announced foreign buyer tax and expanded rent controls, he said, governments need to look at new concepts for Canadian housing.

In Europe governments, not-for-profit agencies and private industry collaborate on rental housing that is “architecturally relevant and desirable.”

https://www.thestar.com/business/20...oronto-affordability-crisis-report-finds.html

Last edited:
Interesting finding- perhaps it's time for a campaign to remove the stigma of multi-generational housing, townhouses, renting etc., alongside efforts to rework the way suburbs work- loosening renting and development restrictions in suburban zones (i.e. allowing the subdivision of existing residential structures into apartments more easily, making it easier to develop missing middle infill in existing residential areas).

Edit: Jennifer Keesmaat would seem to agree:

https://twitter.com/jen_keesmaat/status/867064009392041987

Obsession with home ownership driving Toronto affordability crisis, report finds
The Toronto area will need up to $150 billion in new home construction in the coming decade and most of that should be rental units, says a report from the Canadian Centre for Economic Analysis.
You guys assume that because a house may only have 2 people living there, that those people want to be able to subdivide their house into apartments which is far from the truth if you ask them for the vast majority of people. This mantra of subdividing houses amazes me. People like living in neighbourhoods with single detached houses and I bet the people coming up with subdividing these houses do not. Living on i floor only would be like just starting out with people who rent their first space in an apartment. I have never lived in an apartment and went straight to living in a small 1100 sq ft bungalow when i got married and I felt like that was too small as we rented the basement out and I did not like it.

The basic premise that 80,000 people move into the city every year is wrong. I think latest stats show from 2011 to 2016 there was an increase of about 120,000. How does this translate into 80,000 people a year?

I think it's less that those figures are "wrong" than simply not explained. Usually they mean the Toronto region rather than the municipality. That may be an influx number, but people tend to forget that plenty of people move out of the city as well, leaving a lower net increase.

But is that all you took from that article???

Plenty of good points were made (probably too many for the average Joe lunchbox to comprehend), but one stood out as the defining problem...

"Our rental market is a mess because policy-makers forgot the business side of rental development over decades of policy changes."

In its zeal to ignore its responsibilities, governments have effectively broken an entire industry while at the same time leaving a giant hole where social housing used to be by mistakenly thinking that the private rental industry would have somehow taken over that role.

But as long as the electorate keeps getting dumber and dumber, the politicians they elect will continue to get dumber and dumber as well.

The proof is in the pudding.

Seems like the city has decided to forgo the whole independent-stores-replaced-by-chain-stores route and kill off Yonge Street on its own.

Property-tax hikes prompt Yonge Street's small businesses to consider closing

George Giaouris is considering shutting down his Toronto business, Northbound Leather Ltd., after 30 years because of a devastating setback: After paying $4,000 per month in property taxes for 2016, Mr. Giaouris, 54, is now being asked to pay double that.

Northbound Leather Ltd. is one of several small businesses along Yonge Street dealing with higher property-tax bills. Some owners, such as Mr. Giaouris, are facing hikes of 100 per cent or more according to their 2017 property assessments – which, critics say, is a result of an unfair and unpredictable tax system that treats big and small buildings the same way.

“I can’t afford to build a 50-storey building, let alone pay my taxes and neither can my neighbours. We don’t want anything more, we are just asking to be treated fairly within our limits,” said Mr. Giaouris.

The Municipal Property Assessment Corporation (MPAC), which assesses the property values for all buildings in Ontario every four years, said the concerns of these businesses are being heard and a review of these properties is happening.

“Property assessments within the Heritage District on Yonge Street, between Bloor and College, are in the process of being revised to ensure the values reflect the local market,” an MPAC spokesperson said in an e-mail to The Globe and Mail.

But with the 51-year-old House of Lords hair salon set to close in October partly due to increasing property taxes, many entrepreneurs on Yonge Street are afraid. The Yonge Street Small Business Association is organizing meetings and handing out pamphlets to make the public aware of the issue.

MPAC assesses properties according to potential value of the land and “best use” rather than its actual use. This means that small businesses, in places such as Yonge Street, are expected to pay similar property tax as if they were to develop a 40-storey condo. As prices for nearby homes soar, prices for all types of properties in the area rise, whether it’s a stubby shop or a towering plaza.

While cities and towns rely on the taxes as an important revenue source, critics say the assessment system is unfair. Queen Street and King Street have faced similar difficulties with property assessments, said Councillor Kristyn Wong-Tam, who represents Ward 27, Toronto Centre-Rosedale.

“Right now the MPAC model of the assessment is not working. Small two- to three-storey buildings should not be assessed in the same way as a large development site is assessed,” said Ms. Wong-Tam. “It’s very disturbing; small business owners and operators are the lifeline of Yonge Street in many ways. We need them.”

Mr. Giaouris said he believes too much is being expected from these businesses, adding, “We can’t be expected to both add character and vibrancy to the street and make ‘best use’ of the property. It’s like trying to get two types of milk from one cow.”

Sanjoy Kundu, a landlord and owner of costume shop Theatrics Plus, paid $20,000 in property taxes last year. This year, he estimates it will be close to $40,000. The hikes may mean his business will have to shut down as well, he said.

“I don’t want to close down – this is my livelihood, it’s what I use to take care of my family,” Mr. Kundu said. “There is a service that I offer to our community that no other store in Canada has. I don’t want to lose that.”

Along with encouraging businesses on Yonge Street to appeal their assessments, Ms. Wong-Tam said she is working to get MPAC to change the way it assesses smaller properties.

“In the long term, we will ask them to reconsider the way they evaluate these properties so people don’t have to be shocked every four years when their properties are reassessed,” she said.

The atmosphere among the small business community on Yonge Street is tense. Typically, commercial real estate landlords pass tax increases directly to tenants, who pay a “base rent,” as well as an additional rent that includes a yearly adjusted tax. Some landlords have not told their tenants about the tax increases because they are afraid they will close up shop.

“I’ve never seen anything like it,” said John Kiru, executive director of the Toronto Association of Business Improvement Areas, which represents more than 40,000 local businesses. “Small businesses in this city are starting to reach the tipping point, which is when tenants are actually paying more annually for taxes than they are for rent to the landlord.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/new...ng-due-to-property-tax-hikes/article35965043/

Last edited:
No solution in sight in the private sector- I wonder if it'll take a massive city-guided buildout to fix these issues.

Ryerson report says Toronto needs far more new rental apartments
The region also needs to wean itself from a growing reliance on private condos as rental units.

The Toronto area needs 8,000 new rental units a year — more than four times the number it built last year — to restore the region to a healthy vacancy rate.

It also needs to wean itself from a growing reliance on the private condos that represent about a third of rentals in the city, says a report published Thursday by the Ryerson City Building Institute and Evergreen, an urban sustainability charity.

“Unless we’re going to make (home) ownership a lot more attainable, 8,000 is where we need to be at now and in the future,” said Graham Haines, research manager of the Ryerson institute.

At that rate it would take five to 10 years to restore the region to a vacancy rate of at least 3 per cent, says the report called, “Getting to 8,000: Building a healthier rental market for the Toronto Area.”

That level would permit tenants to find suitable, affordable housing. But the Toronto region’s vacancy rate has been below that for years. The most recent Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation figure is 1.4 per cent.
The report recommends governments incentivize rental development by:
  • Expanding the development charge rebate in the Ontario government’s fair housing policy that, in April, prescribed $125 million over five years.
  • Providing municipal incentives to rental development.
  • Developing a one-stop shop for federal and provincial development incentives.
  • Changing HST rules so that rental developers can claim credits to offset the tax they pay on construction materials in the same way condo developers recoup their HST expense when they sell the units.
Haines downplayed a report last month by the Federation of Rental Housing Providers of Ontario that showed developers, who had been planning to create rentals, had switched 1,000 of those units to condos in light of the province’s decision to extend rent controls to newer buildings.

The odds are stacked against rentals and those buildings were probably on the edge, he said.

“The numbers are just there for condos. The finances make more sense and that’s ultimately the challenge with or without rent control,” said Haines.

The city is already looking at other policies recommended in the report, including a vacancy tax and restrictions on short-term rentals.

Haines says the city also needs to open up areas of the city to multi-residential homes where currently zoning makes it difficult to build anything other than single-family houses.

https://www.thestar.com/business/20...adruple-pace-of-rental-unit-construction.html

I deal with a building on Bloor where the commercial assessment is up 300%. The tenants are facing a $1000 per month property tax increase just from the current MPAC assessment. These are not high rent stores and these increases are fixed even if I don’t ask for a cent more in rent. That’s a lot of extra haircuts or bowls soup to sell.

Between property tax Armageddon and government policies like the minimum wage increase we are going to see a lot of businesses fold and empty storefronts.

I deal with a building on Bloor where the commercial assessment is up 300%. The tenants are facing a $1000 per month property tax increase just from the current MPAC assessment. These are not high rent stores and these increases are fixed even if I don’t ask for a cent more in rent. That’s a lot of extra haircuts or bowls soup to sell.

Between property tax Armageddon and government policies like the minimum wage increase we are going to see a lot of businesses fold and empty storefronts.

And we will see a lot more Tim Hortons and Pizza Pizzas.

Back