Toronto Paintbox | ?m | 26s | Daniels | Diamond Schmitt

And re: OCAD - I love the building, but have you even been inside and noticed how sh*tty it is? All the talk about industrial spaces that need to withstand abuse by students notwithstanding, it is NOT lovely by any means inside. Using this frame of analysis, OCAD is not a good building.

'Twas ever thus. The main criticism of the Sharp Centre that I've heard - from several students - is how difficult it is to hear what the instructors are saying because of the loud air conditioning.

But this is to be a local neighbourhood arts center, not an iconic civic symbol. With markedly less funding per square foot.

Re:"iconic" ... it's a silly word, really, since it can just as easily be applied to the modest, communal architecture of the type we're discussing here - which expands the form of other buildings going up in the new Regent Park - as to buildings such as OCAD or the ROM Crystal which stand out against context. If we accept that a collective expression can be iconic, then the St. Lawrence Neighbourhood co-ops that Alvin refers to are an example from the "City That Works" era, and maybe Freedville around King and Bathurst are collective examples from our time, as is our heritage of Victorian Bay and Gables. The humble white-painted barrel-roofed buildings seen all over Greece are the "iconic" vernacular that represents that culture, and the Parthenon achieves iconic status by standing out. It isn't even a word that carries qualitative values - the finished ( and abandoned ) towers of Dubai are icons of excess. Diamond's performing arts buildings, be they in Regent Park or St. Petersburg, are as iconic collectively as McDonald's.

Application: New Building Status: Not Started

TORONTO ON M5T 1H6

Ward 28: Toronto Centre-Rosedale

Application#: 10 216000 BLD 00 NB Accepted Date: Jul 9, 2010

Project: Mixed Use/Res w Non Res New Building

Description: PHASE 2 Regent Park Revitalization -Building permit - 25 storey condo with 4 storey podium - Dwelling units 281 - parking spaces - 268 parkings spaces (159 residential units) - Additional 84 Parking spaces ( Application also includes Arts and Cultural Centre ( 3 Storeys)

Ah, that would be this building (including the see-through acrylic tower), from the model in the sales centre:

ColeStModel7.jpg

A Development Application- Site Plan Approval - is in:

591 DUNDAS ST E

Ward 28
South District Site Plan Approval 10 225905 STE 28 SA Jul 21, 2010 --- --- --- --- ---
Site Plan Approval for new 9 storey mixed use building containing - 143 residential units - 832m2 of retail space at ground floor - 2 levels below grade parking - 109 parking spaces.

I don't know about that as this world has more beasts than beauties

This may be redundant, but have they closed the North Community Centre? I remember being there as a kid and seeing all kind of drug use and addicts hanging around the rink and diamond.

Application: Partial Permit Status: Not Started

TORONTO ON M5A 2B8

Ward 28: Toronto Centre-Rosedale

Application#: 09 199869 FND 00 PP Accepted Date: Aug 3, 2010

Project: Other Partial Permit - Foundation

Description: Part Permit - Permit for new Aquatic centre with 4 tanks and slide. See 09 175412STE28 SA for Site Plan

The drab, monotonous building, the people in suits, the casual yet distant disinterest in "fun" things happening nearby.... are you sure that's not the headquarters for the Association of Chartered Accountants?

Last edited:
Check out how big the hole is on the excavation for The Regent Park Arts Centre. I didn't expect it to be this big.

Sorry about the over-exposed video.

[video=youtube;6N-s30SnI98]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6N-s30SnI98[/video]

The signage on the site only mentioned the arts centre but the excavation might also be for the condo tower too.

Last edited:

Back