News   Apr 25, 2024
 189     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 425     0 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 1.3K     1 

Toronto, raccoon capital of the world

They keep knocking over my green bin. I'm too lazy to find a solution, but cleaning it up off the driveway every couple of days is slowly motivating me to do so... Does anyone know if those wildlife repellent sprays work? I figure I could just put some on and around the bin, but knowing raccoons they probably won't care.

^ There is no solution except to keep the green bin indoors and put it out only on collection day, as close to collection time as possible.

All the research that I've looked at regarding repellents is that they don't work. Someone is making some money, though!

They keep knocking over my green bin. I'm too lazy to find a solution, but cleaning it up off the driveway every couple of days is slowly motivating me to do so... Does anyone know if those wildlife repellent sprays work? I figure I could just put some on and around the bin, but knowing raccoons they probably won't care.

My grandfather puts a cinder block on his, and it seems to work.

Actually, the answer is simple but brutal. Drop a nuke on the city and this should wipe out the raccoon problem. Of course, the rest of us won't be around to celebrate this glorious victory...

Just about 30 minutes ago I watched someone run over a baby raccoon right in front of me on Lumsden Ave.

It was trying to cross the street towards me, squeeling louding, probably looking for its mother.

One car came, I held up my hand, and it drove around it.

The car right behind saw the raccoon, stopped, then turned directly into it and sped away.

It smashed the side of its skull, and it took the raccoon well over a minute to die.

It was a fucking bummer to see.

Is it possible there's people in this city that hate raccoons that much, or was this just one lone psycho?

I wish I got the license plate of that car...

Sorry you had to witness that. For a second there, I read 'bimmer' instead of bummer.

Just about 30 minutes ago I watched someone run over a baby raccoon right in front of me on Lumsden Ave.

It was trying to cross the street towards me, squeeling louding, probably looking for its mother.

One car came, I held up my hand, and it drove around it.

The car right behind saw the raccoon, stopped, then turned directly into it and sped away.

It smashed the side of its skull, and it took the raccoon well over a minute to die.

It was a fucking bummer to see.

Is it possible there's people in this city that hate raccoons that much, or was this just one lone psycho?

I wish I got the license plate of that car...

^ There is no solution except to keep the green bin indoors and put it out only on collection day, as close to collection time as possible.

All the research that I've looked at regarding repellents is that they don't work. Someone is making some money, though!

This is what I've succumbed to as well. The cinder block seems to work for some of my neighbors but I've seen the raccoons get through that as well. If they're determined enough, they'll knock the whole thing over. I simply move the bin out in the morning, however, a couple weeks ago I snoozed one too many times and woke up at around 7:15am. Much to my dismay, I heard the compost truck drive right by my front window as I got out of bed. Result: I had 2 weeks worth of compost crammed into that tiny little bin. :eek:

I seem to have several families of raccoons living in and around my garage and backyard. We always had green bin problems (using bricks, cinder blocks, bungees, etc.) until we bought raccoon straps for our garbage and green bins. Raccoons seems to have figured out everything else, but we're going on 5 years with these straps and the bins haven't been compromised yet.

To EVCCo -- yeah, that sucks. Some people are wired differently. Cultural sensitivities are a factor. I remember in Taipei I was playing with some puppies in an alleyway and a motocyclist drove through without slowing down, crushing one of the puppies under his bike. He just stared at me as he drove by, as if to say, "Why are you playing with puppies?" Not sure there's a good, rational answer to his question, either. Just 'cuz I think puppies are cute and fluffy doesn't mean everyone else feels the same way. Almost 15 years later, I'm still haunted by the yelping and crunching sounds, as well as by the cold (and valid) conduct of the Chinese motorcyclist.

I saw on the news that the City may adapt true "raccoon proof" garbage recycling units. They did a demo of it on the news and racoons can't crack it! Of course now it's all about cost & replacing the hundreds of thousands of units out there now so if it's approved, it seems to be that they will be rolled out over time.

Sounds like a boondoggle to me. Seriously, the straps are truly raccoon proof, and probably could be procured in bulk for $1/unit.

I saw on the news that the City may adapt true "raccoon proof" garbage recycling units.
The city was calling the current green bins raccoon-proof when they introduced them. They'll likely learn.

Though the straps seem to work well. Used one set for about 3 years, and then it got a bit loose (snap wearing out), and then they can get in. Replaced it with the latest model, and they haven't got in once.

Though I have notice them slowly eating their way in the lid ... but that will take years here.

Last year there was the incident where a man was charged with beating baby raccoons with a shovel..... and then someone else organized an "anti-raccoon rally" in support of that person.

http://www.junctiontriangle.ca/node/1140

Fun times in my neighbourhood.

For myself, the main problem isn't finding ways to keep raccoons from the bins when the bins are stored away, that's the easy part. I can leave them in the garage, in a tool shed, tie it down with straps, place huge bricks on them and bungee the bins to the side of my house, etc. The main issue for me is how to keep the bins sealed and secured overnight when I place it at the front of my house the night before. I don't want to have to wake up before 7am and run outside to remove all the security devices on the bin so that the City guys can take the bins. I simply want to be able to leave it out the night before at the foot of my driveway and not have to touch it again until I'm home that afternoon. I wish we simply had better designed bins that can meet these requirements and still allow the compost trucks to do what they have to in an efficient manner.

Back