Toronto Queens Quay & Water's Edge Revitalization | ?m | ?s | Waterfront Toronto

i think what they're doing on the surface sections of the crosstown (grass right of way for train) would work for just the block that comes before the portal, the grass surface would notify drivers that they're going the wrong way and it wouldn't result in their car getting stuck on the tracks like it does now once the concrete ends, so the car can leave the right of way before they enter the tunnel and avoid causing streetcar delays.

i think what they're doing on the surface sections of the crosstown (grass right of way for train) would work for just the block that comes before the portal, the grass surface would notify drivers that they're going the wrong way and it wouldn't result in their car getting stuck on the tracks like it does now once the concrete ends, so the car can leave the right of way before they enter the tunnel and avoid causing streetcar delays.
Frankly, if drivers can go over the 'bumps', pass flashing lights and signs then I think NOTHING - and certainly not grass - will stop them. Apart from a fine for dangerous/stupid driving I hope they are also charged the TTC costs of extrication and the cost of cancelled/delayed transit for citizens.

Before we can look at doing something, we will have to wait until Nov 2 for Council to decide the faith of the Union Loop.

If the dumb plan gets the go ahead to kill the loop, then the portal could be a thing from the past if the tracks are brought to the surface. If the tunnel gets built east to Freeland as per the 2008 EA approval, we will have to worry about 2 entrance/exit problem then or allow dumb stupid drivers to use the tunnel if concrete topping is added to the tracks which shouldn't take place in the first place.

A gate will work to a point, but bollards are the best option until one fails that will kill service until it fix.

All cost to pull a car out of the tunnel should be past onto the driver with a markup on TTC end and the fine should be triple than its is today.

Frankly, if drivers can go over the 'bumps', pass flashing lights and signs then I think NOTHING - and certainly not grass - will stop them. Apart from a fine for dangerous/stupid driving I hope they are also charged the TTC costs of extrication and the cost of cancelled/delayed transit for citizens.

It’s not that grass can’t physically hinder vehicles from entering the portal. It’s a visual cue to drivers that they shouldn’t enter. Other jurisdictions (even in Ontario) use blue or red paint on transit right-of-ways. As a driver, pedestrian and cyclist, it’s pretty obvious to me that colour is a strong indicator that something is different about that surface.

I don’t favour grass as much as a simple colour on the entire QQ ROW. Understanding why the heck Toronto doesn’t use colours on its transit ROWs is way beyond my pay grade.

It’s not that grass can’t physically hinder vehicles from entering the portal. It’s a visual cue to drivers that they shouldn’t enter.

Because somehow this isn't "visual cue" enough?

dsc_0651.jpg.size.custom.crop.1086x719.jpg

Apart from a fine for dangerous/stupid driving I hope they are also charged the TTC costs of extrication and the cost of cancelled/delayed transit for citizens.

According to the Star article, the driver only got a $425 fine.

It’s not that grass can’t physically hinder vehicles from entering the portal. It’s a visual cue to drivers that they shouldn’t enter. Other jurisdictions (even in Ontario) use blue or red paint on transit right-of-ways. As a driver, pedestrian and cyclist, it’s pretty obvious to me that colour is a strong indicator that something is different about that surface.

I don’t favour grass as much as a simple colour on the entire QQ ROW. Understanding why the heck Toronto doesn’t use colours on its transit ROWs is way beyond my pay grade.
Have you looked at the QQE Tunnel portal? The road has paint and bumps, there are huge signs and flashing lights. One would need to be very stupid or inattentive to miss them. That's not to say paint on TTC rights of way ELSEWHERE is a bad idea but for the tunnel portal it is clearly not enough and grass would be no better.

At this point, they should just add a streetcar elevator and get rid of the portal ramp all together. Then only streetcars can take the elevator down to the tunnel :)

At this point, they should just add a streetcar elevator and get rid of the portal ramp all together. Then only streetcars can take the elevator down to the tunnel :)

But then you'll probably have drivers entering the streetcar elevator and blocking the actual streetcars.

I've mentioned it in the past but we really need to consider tram bollards.

Question is, will the tram be out of service more for broken bollards or for vehicles blocking the tunnel?

Or go with a proper car trap:

Is there a legitimate reason for emergency services to take a vehicle into the tunnel to Queens Quay platform? Has it ever happened? If not, then this does seem like a good solution.

I would expect a bed of sand would achieve the same vehicle trapping capacity while still allowing a firetruck through (due to longer length + more drive wheels).

Back