Toronto Queens Quay & Water's Edge Revitalization | ?m | ?s | Waterfront Toronto

Had a look today at the change that is in 2 different locations not one. The first is at York St still not strip and the other is by the portal strip.

Have to take my comments back on these groves. They are about 10 large groves going down a few inches on both side of the rails for each sections to the point it will shake the driver up to tell the driver they are in the wrong place and will need a front alignment if they do some of them or all of them.

Will be a few days I have the photo on line.

As for the fire department using the ROW, its a joke as both were going east today. One was return to their station in the eastbound lane, follow by another 10 minutes later with lights on going east in the westbound lane.

Putting colour in Concrete has been around a long time and no reason it wasn't used.

Did see a car turn east onto the ROW in the distance that was traveling at a good speed that they drove onto the bike path only to cross over the ROW into the eastbound lane.

The earliest any real changes to this ROW can take place without shutting it down for months to put grass in as plan or green concrete is about 2034-2039 when the tracks are supposed to be replace, unless funding is found for the work before then.

As for stopping pedestrians being in the wrong location with a LRV shows up is to put in crossing gates, but will not deal with the ones in between them.

April 27
Unfix photos
34156412252_f1bf68eee6_b.jpg

33930223550_094ea5d83a_b.jpg

33930230130_cdc759d24d_b.jpg

33472796764_fccc123863_b.jpg

It looks like it's still potentially confusing. There are now "no entry" signs on the traffic signal poles. What do they mean? You don't know until after you make your turn and get closer to the black and white signs underneath the "no entry signs". After all, they don't mean you can't proceed forward in general, since you can drive eastbound on Queens Quay or eastbound in the adjacent service lane. By that point, an unfamiliar driver might already be on the ROW.

They should have painted the yellow lines right at the traffic lights for more obvious visual clues. But the new ruts should inform even the intoxicated or extremely fatigued people driving at 4 am that they're driving where they should be. (These people shouldn't even be driving in the first place.) It's key that the ruts are actually more bumpy that the averaged Toronto street--one gets used to rather bumpy road surfaces after awhile in this city with all the potholes.

Last edited:
Does anyone knows if there are any plans to plant new trees on the south side?

IMG_3702.jpg
IMG_3703.jpg

Is there any real reason why the city continues to keep the fence /and pay rent/ around the entrance of the tunnel ? If the reason is not enough hight to prevent people from falling over , why not add same style railing or cut and lift higher the existing and finally finish the project?

Is there any real reason why the city continues to keep the fence /and pay rent/ around the entrance of the tunnel ? If the reason is not enough hight to prevent people from falling over , why not add same style railing or cut and lift higher the existing and finally finish the project?

Or just go with the original basketweave canopy for the portal?

AoD

The trees will be replace when the right time for planing them is at hand, as well finding the trees in the first place for the right size. Since this area gets very little sun, may have to go with a tree that requires less light that the others.

As for the fence, taken back when I was there last week and can't see any reason for them to be there in the first place. The railing are the same before the makeover took place. Unless the city wants more height and less space between the railing, someone going to have to pickup the cost and its not TTC or Waterfront Toronto. TTC could end up having to pickup the cost since it is on their property.

If the plan is adopted to bury the portal, then why spend big buck fixing it when it will be remove at a later date with cheap fencing doing the work until then.

You build the new surface ROW from the east side of Bay St to the Parliament Loop first and then close the Bay Intersection down until the portal is back fill to grade. You build the new ROW between the existing one and new section. You will be looking at between 30-90 days to do the work, with buses been used Union and Spadina QQ loop.

I think the railing issue a code problem. The existing railing looks way too low. This wasn't an issue before since the portal was completely separated from pedestrians and cyclists by two lanes of traffic on either side, making it difficult to access and not a good place to be. Now that Queens Quay is re-done, it is much more accessible and not as hostile of a place to walk through.

I had a walk on Queens Quay today and noticed how the trees had a sudden growth spurt. No joke, they're at least 12 feet high now.

It's hard to tell because they're bare but once the leaves come out, we're going to get close to the tunnel effect envisioned in the plans. It'll be another year or so before they touch. There'll be some gaps as some trees haven't survived but I'm happy with how the majority of them seem to be very healthy.

urbantoronto-6731-29322.jpg

I had a walk on Queens Quay today and noticed how the trees had a sudden growth spurt. No joke, they're at least 12 feet high now.

It's hard to tell because they're bare but once the leaves come out, we're going to get close to the tunnel effect envisioned in the plans. It'll be another year or so before they touch. There'll be some gaps as some trees haven't survived but I'm happy with how the majority of them seem to be very healthy.
Yes, take a look at the waterfront promenade at Sugar Beach to see how they ought to thrive. Like the SB ones, those on QQ were all planted in silva cells with proper soil. The QQ ones do have to compete with traffic but in 2-3 years will really look great. Let's hope the City or WT get their act together to replant any dead/dying ones soon so that the row is of approximately equally sized treees.

Yes, take a look at the waterfront promenade at Sugar Beach to see how they ought to thrive. Like the SB ones, those on QQ were all planted in silva cells with proper soil. The QQ ones do have to compete with traffic but in 2-3 years will really look great. Let's hope the City or WT get their act together to replant any dead/dying ones soon so that the row is of approximately equally sized treees.

It's a great point - it looks stunning now and completely transforms the space. I took this picture at least two summers ago, believe it or not:

image.jpeg

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    294.9 KB · Views: 400
It's a great point - it looks stunning now and completely transforms the space. I took this picture at least two summers ago, believe it or not:

View attachment 107792

The trees on Queens Quay are at about this stage now. They won't be touching just yet but they've grown much faster than I had expected. Once the foliage comes out in a few weeks, they're going to look a lot like this.

The tree tunnel is an important buffer to separate pedestrians from the road and to note that the bike lane is a different space. There'll always be clueless people who wander in but it'll become clear to most people that they're entering a different realm and alert them to note that it may not be for pedestrians.

Best if all, that buffer will quiet down the traffic noise and complete the transformation of Queens Quay as a place for people.

Just before midnight I witnessed new type of idiotic behaviour. Four people riding bicycles in front of the street car towards the tunnel and almost got run over when they reached the new obstacles and one of them fell from his bike. The street car had to stop and very slowly continue as the intentions of the maniacs waiting on both sides were not clear.

The trees on Queens Quay are at about this stage now. They won't be touching just yet but they've grown much faster than I had expected. Once the foliage comes out in a few weeks, they're going to look a lot like this.

The tree tunnel is an important buffer to separate pedestrians from the road and to note that the bike lane is a different space. There'll always be clueless people who wander in but it'll become clear to most people that they're entering a different realm and alert them to note that it may not be for pedestrians.

Best if all, that buffer will quiet down the traffic noise and complete the transformation of Queens Quay as a place for people.
I'm going to need photos of these trees. :)

Back