Toronto Queens Quay & Water's Edge Revitalization | ?m | ?s | Waterfront Toronto

How Queen's Quay should have been designed from the beginning:
bOjjHMg.png

A yellow line, clearly.

I thought the bollards were a nicetouch.

They put rumble strips but I think they should put spikes.

You try to drive down the tunnel, you get 4 flat tires.

As it is now no one can drive in the tunnel by mistake. What they did in not just a rumble strips, it's way more drastic, series of very deep grooves that you simply can't ignore. And at this moment they are installing bright yellow diagonal stripes.
p.s. my lunch is getting cold and I will post picture after half an hour

If one look closely at the section east of York, you will find cars making U-turn coming off the road south of QQ at York and mostly are cabs. You will also find the residents of the condos to the south come out of their driveway and drive over the ROW to gain access to York St or go west on QQ. You will find cars making a left hand turn into the RBC building parking driveway as well, but rare.

Other than a short section for EMS & the fire department, the ROW is useless to them east of York and why grass or open track area should be there.

Until there these things in place, we will hear about a car going into the tunnel.

Now if my option for bring the Union Loop line up to the surface happens, we will never hear about a car going into the tunnel anymore for this area.

As for the bollards, TTC wanted then on the QQ as well Cherry St, but was voted down. They even wanted a step down onto the ROW in place being flush and was told no.

As it is now no one can drive in the tunnel by mistake. What they did in not just a rumble strips, it's way more drastic, series of very deep grooves that you simply can't ignore. And at this moment they are installing bright yellow diagonal stripes.
p.s. my lunch is getting cold and I will post picture after half an hour

There were already 6... SIX!! blaring loud DO NOT ENTER signs before the tunnel, not to mention the fact that the tunnel isn't lit. Who drives into a dark tunnel? The rumble strips will help further but there's still going to be some schmuck who will defy all predictable levels of stupidity.

If one look closely at the section east of York, you will find cars making U-turn coming off the road south of QQ at York and mostly are cabs. You will also find the residents of the condos to the south come out of their driveway and drive over the ROW to gain access to York St or go west on QQ. You will find cars making a left hand turn into the RBC building parking driveway as well, but rare.

Other than a short section for EMS & the fire department, the ROW is useless to them east of York and why grass or open track area should be there.

Until there these things in place, we will hear about a car going into the tunnel.

Now if my option for bring the Union Loop line up to the surface happens, we will never hear about a car going into the tunnel anymore for this area.

As for the bollards, TTC wanted then on the QQ as well Cherry St, but was voted down. They even wanted a step down onto the ROW in place being flush and was told no.

What are the odds of the TTC reverting back to the original idea and installing grass in the ROW? At this point, I'd be happy with AstroTurf. At the very least, interlocking brick or faux brick patterns to differentiate both visually and through vibration that the ROW isn't meant for driving in.

What are the odds of the TTC reverting back to the original idea and installing grass in the ROW? At this point, I'd be happy with AstroTurf. At the very least, interlocking brick or faux brick patterns to differentiate both visually and through vibration that the ROW isn't meant for driving in.

Any sort of "grassed" surface is actually made up of porous interlocking blocks that allow grass to grow in and around them, but still allow vehicles to drive on them.

I've never heard of artificial grass being used for a ROW installation, but it could solve some of the drainage issues that inevitably occur with grassing the ROW.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

It's so obvious that what's required is something more obvious, and I think grass (real or fake) would be a very clear step in the right direction. I have a longstanding beef with the timidity of our transportation planners (yes, I know they're often overruled) when it comes to physical infrastructure changes - half measures (at best) are the norm (we see this in cycle infrastructure in spades all over the city).

I think there's a corollary issue with both timidity and the overuse of "official-sounding" language in signage in the city -- how about a large, obvious "CARS NOT ALLOWED IN HERE" sign, instead of the run-of-the-mill stuff? Same with bike lanes - we get, at best, a sporadic few "$150 fine" signs, where it should be "ILLEGAL FOR CARS TO BE IN BIKE LANE", etc.

I guess I know the answer to my question. The odds are pretty low (if not zero) that the TTC is going to rip up the recently rebuilt streetcar ROW to install drainage systems and a grass surface.

What I'm curious really is if they are now sold on the idea when it comes to rebuilding the ROW with grass in several years when the cement is due to be resurfaced.

I guess I know the answer to my question. The odds are pretty low (if not zero) that the TTC is going to rip up the recently rebuilt streetcar ROW to install drainage systems and a grass surface.

What I'm curious really is if they are now sold on the idea when it comes to rebuilding the ROW with grass in several years when the cement is due to be resurfaced.
I think it's not relly up to them what they sue for it. Yes it was planned to have grass in the right of way but Emergency Services said they didn't want it because they wanted to be able to use the right of way to get around traffic. Although why they would need to access the tunnel I have no idea maybe the fire department if there was fire?
Hers another look at the "rumble strps" more like giant runts in the concrete, as the Streetcar I was on exited the porthole heading westbound.

Back