Toronto Post House Condominiums | ?m | 21s | Alterra | Wallman Architects

nope ... it is the same developer as before (Alterra) ... but at least now we know the designer is Wallman Architects

Site Plan Approval applied for.

Site Plan Approval

Site Plan Approval for a new 19-storey residential condominium building, including a landscaped courtyard connected to the retained and restored heritage buildings at 252-258 Adelaide Street East. Proposed building to contain 239 residential dwelling units complete w/ 4 levels of below grade parking.

Application Number 09 174232 STE 28 SA Application Status Application Submitted
Planner Name
Phone# Macrae, Willie
416-392-7572 Date Received Sep 30, 2009
Community Meeting Date --- Status Date Sep 30, 2009
Statutory Meeting Date --- Proposed Non-Residential GFA (sq m) 0

Proposed Residential GFA (sq m) 19194

Lot Size (sq m) 1702

Proposed Residential Units 239

Proposed Storeys 19

The design panel voted for redesign.

PostHouseR1.jpg

"...Coming soon to Adelaide and George St: Post House Condominium by Alterra Group. The name “Post House” comes from the sites’ proximity to Toronto’s first post office. This boutique building will rise 16 storeys above this historic and rapidly changing neighbourhood that is becoming one of the hottest areas to live in the downtown core with several other new or recent projects launching in the area including The Modern, Kormann House, VU, and Rezen just to name a few..."

from www.truecondos.com/posthouse

I wonder if 3 stories have been lopped off?

Last edited:
More permit applications just in.

Application: New Building Status: Not Started

TORONTO ON M5A 2N4

Ward 28: Toronto Centre-Rosedale

Application#: 10 142571 BLD 00 NB Accepted Date: Mar 30, 2010

Project: Apartment Building New Building

Description: Proposal to construct a new 21storey residential condominium building, including a landscaped courtyard connected to the retained and restored heritage buildings at 252-258 Adelaide Street East. Proposed building to contain 280 residential dwelling units complete w/ 4 levels of below grade parking.

AND

Application: Partial Permit Status: Not Started

TORONTO ON M5A 2N4

Ward 28: Toronto Centre-Rosedale

Application#: 10 142571 SHO 00 PP Accepted Date: Mar 31, 2010

Project: Apartment Building Partial Permit - Shoring

Description: Part Permit - Proposal to construct a new 21storey residential condominium building, including a landscaped courtyard connected to the retained and restored heritage buildings at 252-258 Adelaide Street East. Proposed building to contain 280 residential dwelling units complete w/ 4 levels of below grade parking.

I don't mean to sound so negative like so many people do when providing a critique, but when I think of the first post office in Toronto, the idea of boutique condos, and consider the heritage buildings to the south, this rendering seems out of place.

It doesn't have the charm I was envisioning or expecting.

Can someone open my mind?

In a neighbourhood context, I think it compliments Vu across the street

my opinion only ... but I think Vu does a much better job fitting into the generally red-brick neighbourhood, whereas Post House condo appears to be just a plain glass box bearing no relationship to the heritage surroundings whatsoever ~

I think Post House is the better fit. I walked by both Vu and PH sites today and Vu remains a missed oportunity for me. For example, walking along Adelaide, Vu should've had a large overhead canopy protecting pedestrians from the elements--perhaps a beautiful wood and glass overhang. Then as you move towards George St, Vu's street level presence fades and becomes a weird assortment of blank walls, iron fencing and ugly concrete planters.

Post House's splashes of colour is a cheeky nod to the coloured glass of George Brown College's recent addition.

Back