News   Apr 24, 2024
 923     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 1.3K     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 610     0 

Toronto Police Service Reformation

I think the police should be reformed but I think high number should be maintained.

I think the growing and large amount of poverty in the areas outside of downtown could easily send Toronto down the path of an American city if we are not careful. It is for the best for the police to engage and be apart of those communities.

I think the police should be reformed but I think high number should be maintained.

I think the growing and large amount of poverty in the areas outside of downtown could easily send Toronto down the path of an American city if we are not careful. It is for the best for the police to engage and be apart of those communities.

Their engagement is a function of how, not numbers necessarily.

AoD

Is there any evidence we could do with less that some suggest ( I am not sure if you said that or not)

Is there any evidence we could do with less that some suggest ( I am not sure if you said that or not)

Beyond falling crime rate, would you say the same if I apply your philosophy to other types of expenditures (nevermind that this is the largest line-item in the city budget) that has never seen any significant reduction since megacity?

AoD

Last edited:
Looks like the police union is pushing back against police reformation http://globalnews.ca/news/3588699/t...eaking-point-calls-for-a-stop-to-police-cuts/

What did the police union think was going to happen when they pushed for salary increases beyond inflation, that were the highest in the province, and to the point where policing is the highest single item on the city budget? Of course the city and the chief are going to seek less expensive means to achieve equal or better results.

Beyond falling crime rate, would you say the same if I apply your philosophy to other types of expenditures (nevermind that this is the largest line-item in the city budget) that has never seen any significant reduction since megacity?

AoD

I think the problem is I am unsure of what you want?

Your saying that we should cut funds to the police as Crime is to low? That crime can increase a bit, its not a big deal if it does?

or that the funds have helped to keep crime down?

Or frankly the level of funds to the police have no relation to crime levels?

If that is the case, then saying police budget should be reduced as crime is low has no meaning, apart from "I want them to have less money"

I am in fan of controlling police spending but I dont think it should be based on lower crime rates because I think One of the major reason why Toronto has low crime rates is because it has a good police force. I think if Crime is going down, then we should keep at it :)

Thoughts on the new cars?

http://nationalpost.com/news/toront...n-for-new-police-cruisers-after-consultations

I don't understand the need to go grey. Why can't we have brightly coloured cars?

It lets Chief Saunders save face going with a modified version of his earlier unilateral change to grey. I would have liked a nice, clean, visible professional look - blue and white, with prominent "police" lettering. Peel Region's police car scheme isn't wonderful, but it's a decent, professional look that's easily recognizable. An adequate alternative would be the black-and-white scheme brought back by the OPP and now also used in Hamilton, Niagara, and Halton.

Apparently, many police officers liked stealthier cars, while the public wanted visible cars.

because the police do not want citizens to see the cars as they are driving by. There was nothing wrong when they were yellow. You saw them coming from far away. Thats what police do not like
I'd much rather have overt policing as opposed to covert.

I am very pleased to hear about the potential launch of the Toronto traffic authority. If it works for Vancouver, it'll work for us http://vancouver.ca/police/recruiting/traffic-authority/index.html Hopefully there's a lot of them, keeping cars, bikes and pedestrians in line.

Back