Toronto Pinnacle on Adelaide | 144.47m | 46s | Pinnacle | Hariri Pontarini

How is this anything like a strip mall? On a relatively quiet night mid-week, this whole corner and plaza was humming. Figo was packed. Sweet Jesus had a line-up out the door. And this is February. Nothing suburban or strip mall about this. A very successful public realm indeed.

http://torontolife.com/food/restaur...ants-figo-italian-charles-khabouth-king-west/

So I disagree wholeheartedly with the statement, "Absolutely zero corner presence. Really disappointed by the podium/ how this thing resolves at street level" and all the other premature comments.

Last edited:
Best to look at that photo in a mirror if you want to make sense of it.

Obviously taken a while ago: The Bond is still quite short.

Somebody's made a major mistake at the Pinnacle on Adelaide, or more likely, some Board of Directors. The City has an easement over this space declaring that it is a POPS, or Privately Owned, Publicly accessible Space, and as such, the condo is not allowed to erect fences on it without asking. Fences are not really a POPS thing.

DSC01592.jpg

The City wants it gone, tout de suite.

Attachments

• DSC01592.jpg
    DSC01592.jpg
    327.8 KB · Views: 997
Yea I couldn't really believe it when I saw that ... I'm hoping the city pushes it to be removed soon; What was the logic behind it ? Who can get to the space just the owners or one of the restaurants ?

This city has a long way to go before people understand "public space". Whoever decided that this should be separated from the sidewalk made a huge mistake.

I'm just guessing, but does the business there serve alcohol? Patios need to be enclosed if they do I believe.

I'm just guessing, but does the business there serve alcohol? Patios need to be enclosed if they do I believe.

Not to cross-post, but I wonder a bit if there will be similar issues at Theatre Park—if you walk around the area in front of the building you can see holes in the ground for posts that presumably are meant to affix to patio railings. They extend only perhaps 10% into the total area of that space, and there actually won't be a whole bunch of room for outdoor seating at the restaurant-to-be (unless those posts serve a different purpose than I suspect).

Wow that's awful. Even if it isn't necessarily a POPS thing, this just highlights some of the problems that may arise. Call me old-fashioned but I think publicly accessible space should be publicly owned.

Back