Toronto Pinnacle on Adelaide | 144.47m | 46s | Pinnacle | Hariri Pontarini

I know this isn't politically correct (ie. planning correct), but I kinda love how our hodge-podge poorly planned, OMB type downtown is evolving.

At the very least, it will be unique. Ridiculous collisions of scale that somehow agree to get along. Built form fanatics live in their heads afterall... but our messy boom is going to be very cool in some ways.

I've always maintained that Toronto was accidently becoming a "great" city (immigration, entrepreneurship etc.). No reason the built form shouldn't follow this recipe for success.

Great post 3D, I agree completely.

given that the application is by pinnacle, I hope this proposal doesn't end up looking anything like their pinnacle center in the railway lands

Its fascinating how every proposal we have seen today seems to have a hotel component. This is more than interesting in light of the fact that there are already a host of large and small hotels in the area (Soho, Holiday Inn, Marriott Suites, etc). Will nine or ten hotels, most of them 'boutique', be able to flourish in the neighbourhood?

If city hall has any planning control, they'll ask them to reduce the tower to minimize the impacts to John Street. Those poor victorian houses across the street will surely look completely out of place now.

From what I can see of the monochrome 2-D elevations, the tower component looks very promising.

That 2-storey bar that sits to the south will look absolutely ridiculous sandwiched between two 40+ storey contemporary towers, though.

They're putting some interesting designs up in this area. I hope it all comes to fruition.

If city hall has any planning control, they'll ask them to reduce the tower to minimize the impacts to John Street. Those poor victorian houses across the street will surely look completely out of place now.

At that point, cue certain posters here who will gleefully chime in that those houses are suddenly "out of context", calling for their demolition a la the St. Thomas.

The topic says 42s. The elevations show 2 towers. One 44s and the other 42s.

I believe the other tower you are seeing is either Festival Tower (TIFF) or the one for 21 Widmer the the west which is a very unique looking proposed tower also. Please correct me anyone if I am mistaken.

Cheers!

That 2-storey bar that sits to the south will look absolutely ridiculous sandwiched between two 40+ storey contemporary towers, though.

That would be the Duke Of Argyle which is now being used by Daniels as an office for the Festival Tower. I imagine they are not going to leave it as a bar once they finish with Festival. Perhaps they will sell it to this tower?

Back