Toronto Pinnacle on Adelaide | 144.47m | 46s | Pinnacle | Hariri Pontarini

Wow that's awful. Even if it isn't necessarily a POPS thing, this just highlights some of the problems that may arise. Call me old-fashioned but I think publicly accessible space should be publicly owned.

Yep. How anyone believes a private firm with an imperative to make a profit can be trusted with a public space (that is presumed to be above profit and for all to access) is beyond me. I can appreciate that I'm pretty left-wing compared to this site but I don't see how any reasonable person can believe that POPS make sense as anything other than a relief of duty on the part of the city to provide services and a cash/land grab by private businesses to control these areas, even if the rules say they won't.

Yep. How anyone believes a private firm with an imperative to make a profit can be trusted with a public space (that is presumed to be above profit and for all to access) is beyond me. I can appreciate that I'm pretty left-wing compared to this site but I don't see how any reasonable person can believe that POPS make sense as anything other than a relief of duty on the part of the city to provide services and a cash/land grab by private businesses to control these areas, even if the rules say they won't.

POPS seem to work well in CityPlace. The spaces are maintained by building management since keeping them looking good helps maintain property value. The spaces are not fenced in, and the purpose of the spaces seem well understood by property managers and security for each building where a POPS is present.

This looks more like a case of 1) a misunderstanding by management that will likely be removed or 2) the city has changed its mind about keeping this space open. I'm betting on #1.

One of my favourite buildings in the Entertainment District boom:

27129376342_792a767aa4_c.jpg

Have they removed the fencing around the fountain yet and is the fountain on ?

The fencing was still up, when I passed by a few days ago and now they have pick-nick benches for the customers of Sweet Jesus, as if it was a typical restaurant patio. Anybody walking by would clearly assume, that this area is only for restaurant customers only, which of course, being a POPS, it isn't. The city needs to address this right away.

Is the Figo patio also occupying space that was meant to be POPS, or is the POPS just that little bit outside of Sweet Jesus, shown in Interchange's photo (post 759)?

So after a CBC story from August 12 about the La Carnita fence at Pinnacle on Adelaide POPS having been erected illegally, the restaurant posted a sign on Saturday inviting anyone to sit in the danced off area if they would like to, as they try to work things out with "the building" and the City.

Here's how to work things out: take down your illegally erected fence. I like restaurant patios, but there's nothing to work out: get lost.

Interesting how UT first and Reddit later noticed and complained about it, but that media only picked up on Reddit's complaints.

IMO I wished this site played a larger role in shaping city policy.

That's but one item. This site does have some influence on choices made by developers when it comes to design at least, and people here do go to city meetings to voice their opinions. That's more important overall, I would argue. I do think there are developers and architects on this site so it's not not playing a role either.

Back