Toronto Pinnacle Centre Condos | 161.84m | 55s | Pinnacle | P + S / IBI

You know, that rendering with the CN tower placed by the Royal Bank Plaza isn't as bad as the Lumiere rendering.. that one featured the CN tower north,between the two Bloor/Yonge towers..

Gosh the two north towers are insanely close to the Gardiner

Maybe buyers pay extra for the view.

^ Maybe drivers should do the same.

Maybe! It would certainly be cheaper to pay to keep that view, than it would be to pay for shiny tunnel walls.

PS: I'm always surprised when the condos facing the Gardiner are snapped up too. It makes more sense to me to build the parking garage areas facing the Gardiner, which most of the lower floors of the north side of Pinnacle will be: parking garage.

To speak nothing of the pollution, dirty windows, traffic noise and vehicles whizzing by a bedroom window doing 100K while trying to sleep. Venturing onto the balcony would require ear plugs and face mask. Not my idea of a smart investment.

condos for dogs?

In the Success Towers least successful "dog" units? Now that may be who buys them: pooch dwellers.

I've often wondered: are all the units built along the waterfront and cityplace triple glazed? (Double glazed doesn't keep the noise out at all.) And what's the point of having balconies? Imho balconies are both a waste of space 75% of the year in Canada, are pointless in noisy polluted enviroments and of course basically useless upwards of 20 floors thanks to high wind conditions. Get rid of them (for the most part, they destroy the building's architecture--what Cityplace was "designed" by architects I exclaim?!) on highrise towers I think!

One final point: I'd be embarrassed to tell my friends I bought/live in the "success" tower. Failures need not apply.

I tend to agree, unless the balconies are indented like on X, or are full wrap around like on Casa. On high rises they just make a building look messy and awkward. I'd much rather a unit with floor to ceiling windows in the entire unit to one with a balcony. Juliette style doors are fine for hi-rises as they pretty much turn your unit into a large terrace.

I can't agree with that myself; I only ever lived in a non-balconied apartment once, and that was definitely one of the reasons why I eventually moved out.

Winter doesn't last 75% of the year in Canada, especially not in Toronto, so that's kind of moot.

Juliet style doors with floor-to-ceiling windows might work, but nothing really gives you the feeling of openness that a balcony does. There are definitely balconied buildings that look magnificent, both old and new, so I'm more inclined to blame inelegant buildings with balconies as just clumsy architecture.

I'd never live in a tower that didn't have balconies.

I guess some of Pinnacle's balconies on lower floors are so close to the Gardiner they can hand out drinks during heavy traffic.

I'm in a Cityplace building, and noise is pretty much never an issue unless a sold-out game just let out of the SkyDome or the streetcar is going by (two blocks away). Cars and trucks are pretty much never audible, which I find more than satisfactory.

Bulding owners and designers alike would like nothing better than to omit balconies from their buildings. Trouble is people demand the feature. Sure balconies are underused but it's like 80 percent of the back yards in the suburbs are rarely used and yet having a back yard is one of the primary motivations to move to the suburbs in the first place

Balconies ( and back yards ) make plenty of sense, given our short summers. They're both extensions of the house/apartment, and act as extra rooms during the good weather. I have breakfast in my back garden and sometimes have friends over at weekends; I see lots of people in apartments putting potted plants and lawn chairs on their balconies in the summer and doing much the same thing, with somewhat less space that homeowners have. A balcony is their space, not a common area they must share with other apartment or condo dwellers, and they personalize it.

Bylaws require outdoor amenity spaces on residential buildings as a percentage of floor area. In the 80s, a lot of condos were built with 'sunrooms' that somehow were considered outdoor space. That loophole has since been closed up, I believe. Builders sometime provide a shared outdoor space such as a roof deck to meet the requirements.

Have your pesky pigeons returned this year?

I share my garden with a couple of cardinals - though they nest elsewhere - and someone's cat that gets in and tries to catch them as they flit about.

They flit in and out from time to time - they tend not to stay now that I have stuck shards of broken Perrier bottles into all the plants.

Back