Pickering Pickering GO Pedestrian Bridge | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | AECOM

un impressed, but still hopeful

if this is the final rendering of the bridge, i would have to say this is not an "urban Renewal" as much as it is a bridge that looks like it was designed in 1990.

But what ever, the bridge could have looked any which way...
But the building?
If it looks like its neighboring two buildings, way to make Pickering look like it's "Urban Growth Centre of Ontario and future Anchor Mobility Hub"... maybe if it was 1980 this statement would be true.

But really now... why didn't they connect the multistory parking, (make it taller) and connect THAT to the building and the building to the bridge.

Is there are building concept yet? (available to the public)

3928361221_87a91ea7db_o.jpg

Is there no Artist renderings of what the building is going to look like?

i mean this cube thing, really... do design firms still make these?

College students can come up with better. and don't tell me budget this budget that, cause we all know by now, we can make things look good while keeping cost down, or costing less.
When i saw the latest building go up there, i thought, who was the jurk that OK's that? I understand that they may have wanted to make the two building complement each other, but there are ways to do this while at the same time look like it was made in the current decade.

I mean that piece of land there has SO much artistic potential. If that building is going to have ANYTHING to do with the arts, should it not perhaps portray this somehow?

Pickering $30 Million of Infrastructure Investment

"Through the Infrastructure Stimulus Fund, the Federal and Provincial governments are committing $5 million each towards the construction of a fully enclosed pedestrian bridge. The $10 million structure will span Highway 401 and connect the Pickering GO
Station to a new 132,000 square foot, “Class Aâ€, LEED-Silver office tower in Pickering’s downtown precinct. Together, the new pedestrian bridge and office tower will be the most visible examples of sustainability in the entire province. Equally as important, it will create a more cohesive and accessible downtown district."

20 Vic Management Inc. is the developer of the new office tower.

The Pickering Bridge is not what it seems.

As happy as many seem about the Pickering Bridge, it's not nearly the project it could have been and to be happy about getting the bridge is like being overjoyed about receiving a set of roller skates for your birthday when you could have had a Lear Jet and all the trimmings.

The Pickering Bridge is a band-aid to be installed near what should have been a new transportation and community hub for Pickering. In that area you have a rail line for GO, the 401 reduced to west-bound access only, Bayley St. a major east-west artery south of them, Hwy 2/Kingston Rd immediately north and all of them crossed over by north/south Liverpool Rd. To make matters a little more complicated, the area is environmentally sensitive as well with a creek flowing into Lake Ontario immediately west of Liverpool.

On the Northeast corner you have Pickering Town Centre. On the Southeast corner; you have the GO Station. On the Southwest Corner you have poorly designed and isolated housing area known as Bay Ridges complete with hodge podge apartment towers, a new assortment of towers and low rises named after a Jimmy Buffet song and on the Northwest corner a Loblaws Supercentre.

Four corners completely isolated from one another as far as local use is concerned regardless of the new Pedestrian bridge.

When I ran for mayor of Pickering, part of my platform was to unite those four corners and the transportation lines so that the entire area became functional not just for commuters but for local residents as well.

To do that the corners needed to be infrastructurally connected. The way to accomplish this would have been with tunnels that run under the highway the streets and the rail line.

Above, all of the buildings in the area could have been united into one major structure that would have seen the transport routes running through the mammoth building.

Right now the demographics of this area show that a high percentage are near, at or into retirement years. Commuting from home to services is a big deal to many and surprisingly awkward - especially if you have to commute on foot - in winter.

Another part of my plan included a major bridge system out in the lake that would run from Kingston (or maybe even Montreal) to Niagara Falls with looping stops along the way. Pickering would have been one of those stops.

The bridge system would carry high-speed trains such as are used in Japan, China and Europe. In one go it would take a tremendous amount of traffic pressure away from most of the GTAs east/west corridors. Most of the traffic could be virtually emissions free thanks to the train and technology that is on the way.

The bridge itself would require supporting pylons in the lake. Each of those pylons could be built with future population expansion in mind and become “Habitat" sites that in effect are nearly self supporting. They could include for instance hotels on top, bird habitat externally and fish habitat in the water. Add American fishermen and you have the nucleus of a new way of growing Ontario's future without sacrificing farmland.

Such a plan would require massive federal funding and political will. The Confederation Bridge to P.E.I. was built with much less of a financial return at the other end. This scheme would unite the majority of the province's urban centres in a way that cannot exist anywhere else in the world. The payback would be immense.

The unimpeded view of Lake Ontario initially could be considered a downside. But if the bridge was built with elan, the view could be vastly improved even from an ecological perspective. Functionality could also be included to minimize or nearly completely eliminate impact in the water. We have most of the technology. We can develop the rest.

But instead of that future, we are getting a foot bridge to service GO Transit riders to get from the south side to the north side of the transportation corridor. Big hairy deal. Despite the transportation corridor, Pickering remains mostly not plugged in.

The new foot bridge is not going to encourage new and imaginative development of Pickering Town Centre or the Supercentre or any other existing local amenities. Most of Pickering's businesses are warehouses that offer little in the way of employment. The biggest employers are all related to power generation. That is a service industry that does not bring new money into the area and doesn't encourage new economic growth. In fact the Nuclear Station inhibits growth despite what politicians might tell you.

Pickering and thus Durham Region needs new and innovative thinking if it is going to ever be more than an area that warehouses boxes and people.

Have I simplified the logistics involved? Yes I have. But the fact remains that Pickering could become a major player in local economic growth without excessive environmental destruction if only some imagination, money and leadership were applied to get it all up and running.

Last edited:
Interesting post, though you did lose me a bit with regards to the bridge down by the lake. Not so sure about that.

As for the proposed bridge, you're right it's definitely not going to transition Pickering city centre over night, or much at all. When I lived down at Frenchmen's Bay just off Bayley, I used to take GO Transit to get into Toronto every day. As a pedestrian and a non-driver in a city full of cars and SUVs, even the walk along Bayley feels like you're in the wrong place and uninvited. I don't know how many times either myself or someone else nearly got hit by a car on the north-east side of Bayley & Liverpool for simply trying to cross the intersection when we had the right of way. Walking along Liverpool is even worse when heading north. But at least a pedestrian bridge will help with that somewhat.

When it comes to having aspirations for a real city centre in Pickering, I wouldn't be expecting too much. From what I've seen the mentality of locals is heavily against densification pretty much to the point of being unreasonable.

As for the proposed bridge, you're right it's definitely not going to transition Pickering city centre over night, or much at all. .

Please note, the combination of the office tower and the pedestrian bridge will be a catalyst for change in Pickering's downtown core.

What is publicly known is that MPAC will now stay in Pickering with the office tower as its new headquarters.

Two other organizations have also committed to the tower. Both of these two organizations will change the dynamic in Pickering's downtown.

One tenant in particular will draw in people from across the GTA to Pickering's downtown - on an everyday basis.

Just waiting for everything to be signed off. Look for announcements in fall 2010.

The most recent rendering of the pedestrian bridge looks nothing like the original picture. In fact, the new rendering is very dynamic and exciting. Unfortunately, Metrolinx/GO Transit has not officially released the new rendering.

Once built, the pedestrian bridge will be a landmark structure.

Is the office building the one that currenlty has the framing built with some cladding on the lower levels on the east side?

Does that mean an increase in height? For a downtown "Places to Grow" office building next to the GO station the office building shouldn't be so short.

Just need to back up a moment. The office tower is being built by 20Vic Management. It is not a PPP structure. The Federal and Provincial governments are contributing $30 million to the project through funding an enhanced GO parking deck and enclosed pedestrian bridge. This is complementary infrastructure. It has no bearing on floor space or tower height.

True, a 20-storey tower would have been nice. However, in today's economic reality, a developer won't build on spec. alone - with the intent of finding tenants afterwards for a large chunk of remaining office space.

While the building isn't that tall to look at, consider its actual base. That thing is really wide. Compare it to the other two office buildings right at the corner of Liverpool & Highway 401. You can really appreciate how large the new tower actually is. In sports terms, its more of a football linebacker than a basketball centre.

On its own, the building won't be a landmark building. However, in conjunction with the pedestrian bridge, it will be the most visible example of sustainability in the province.

The MOST?

When I say 'the most', I'm using the Highway 401 exposure as reference point. Highway 401 is acknowledged as the busiest highway in all of Canada.

As Pickering is the gateway city to Toronto, Durham Region and Eastern Ontario, approximately 350,000 vehicles pass through every single day on the 401. Now extrapolate that over a year. That's an awful lot of impressions.

While there may be busier stretches of the 401 in the GTA, there are no sustainable landmarks with Highway 401 exposure in Milton, Mississauga, Toronto, Ajax, or Oshawa.

Additionally, GO Transit's Lakeshore East rail line has 12,000,000 annual passengers. The bridge will also be visible to these riders.

If you combine these figures, I think you can conversatively estimate that the pedestrian bridge will make 80 million impressions a year. [/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE]

^I dunno, PP, Pickering is not exactly the "gateway" to Toronto or Eastern Ontario in the way that, say, the Khyber pass was the gateway to the Orient.

I'm also not sure just how much of an impression that bridge will leave on motorists and commuters, or whether it will really be an icon of sustainability, but whatevs.

Whenever I come back from Quebec, Ottawa, Kingston, etc., I use the St. Mary's Cement Plant east of Bowmanville as a "landmark" indicating I'm entering the GTA. True Bowmanville is not technically in the GTA, but it is the beginnig of the Toronto and region urban area from the east with only short rural intervals between Bowmanville and Courtice and between Whitby and Ajax.

Back