Toronto Picasso Condos | 128.62m | 39s | Mattamy Homes | Teeple Architects

IMG_1599_zpsuxjdiklw.jpg

IMG_1606_zpsmyd0bvhq.jpg

If 10 years ago someone would have told me Mattamy is going to build one of the best condo buildings in the city, I would have laughed in his face, then probably punched him for being a lying liar.

To be fair this was built by Monarch, not Mattamy. Mattamy bought Monarch when this thing was half finished and brought them under the Mattamy brand.

I wouldn't describe this as a typical Monarch building either though, hopefully this is the way they are going forward with new projects.

It was Murray Goldman of the Goldman Group, the other developer with Monarch, who was the driving force behind Picasso. He wanted a legacy project… and this is it!

I don't know why they had to mar an otherwise decent curtain wall with those heavy white casement windows and the heavy white framed vents. It either looks temporary or an afterthought, and reminds me of those typical vinyl clad windows you see on houses.
Something frameless or lower profile would look much better and blend into the façade, rather than bring too much attention to itself.

Yeah, I adore the building overall, but the first 20 metres or so are just awful - it looks like some party got the designs and then hastily added an arbitrary couple stories to the bottom.

Back